By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Stephen Hawking Stresses the need to Evacuate

When will we evacuate?

0-100 Years 24 20.51%

100-200 Years 36 30.77%

200-300 Years 14 11.97%

300-400 Years 43 36.75%

Total:117

The point is having all our eggs in one basket is dangerous. Having pockets of humanity existing elsewhere in self-sustaining colonies makes sense for the species. I personally think the next move should be a permanent settlement on the moon where all the required technology can be field-tested and improved but close enough that a rescue is possible if it goes pear shaped. Mars should be the second destination for a colony.

I'd love to look up at the moon and see the lights of a distant colony I think that would be pretty amazing.

Around the Network

Well he's right, it's a small world in a temporary system so staying here eventually leads to the end anyway.

There's a reason why Earth is the only planet we can breathe and live on perfectly.

Anyways I think humanity is better off gone than in a Zoo.

Which is essentially what we are talking about here. Living captive, away from our natural habitat just to prolong the existence of a species, this is not a way for a to human to live.

Why is having just a few humans alive in existence so important to justify their quality of life?

One day humanity will be gone. Their is nothing you can do, and prolonging it is not a solution. Get over it. Quit living in the future and start living in the present. Their is something meaningful we can do today for future generations, and it's not shipping them off to live like zoo animal.

spurgeonryan said:
We as a planet, spend trillions on the space program each year it seems, yet after 50 years we still have only just been to the Moon a few times.

Who else has actually stepped foot there and who else is going in the near future? Maybe china? Give it another 50 years before we even land on Mars, let alone terraform it.

Repeat.........we have only been to the moon a few times since the 60's!!!! He must realize this. By then some psychotic spoiled child will inherit some throne in some country with nuclear bombs and blow us all up. Unless we just happen to make force fields by then that can block entire countries.

Trillions?

39 billion seems a lot, that was 0.23% of GDP at the time, military budget in 2013 was over 700 billion.

The space shuttle program is to blame for why we've not gone back or past the moon. The name already says it. It was meant as a cost effective way to reach orbit, nothing more advanced than a bus service really.  The space program has been stuck in low earth orit since the 60's. At least we're still sending out robots.

We still haven't seen the bottom of Earth's oceans either, or investigated the core. Don't need to look deeper than where oil is :/ Short term gain is holding humanity back. With the current political system it's impossible to make long term plans.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
We as a planet, spend trillions on the space program each year it seems, yet after 50 years we still have only just been to the Moon a few times.

Hahahaha no where near. We spend so little on our space program as a planet. We spend many many many many many many times more killing eachother. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

maxleresistant said:
I'll be dead, and I seriously don't want to go to space anyway, at least not in those tin cans we call "spaceships"

the best post in the thread. I got a laugh

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Mnementh said:

And pursuing science fiction makes our everyday lives better.

NO!  I want things to stay the same!  Or hell go back to the 50s.  Advancement is scary and I wanna teach my kids "old school" and "respect the old ways."  After all what's better than saying "back in my day" or "things used to better when I was younger" or other future or present hating attitudes?

Back in my days things were better, because people dreamed of achieving technological and scientific progress.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

spurgeonryan said:

In which currency? Budgets of major space agencies:

NASA: 19.5 billion US$ (2017) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

ESA: 5.75 billion € (2017) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESA

JAXA: 211 billion ¥ = 2 billion $ (2013) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAXA

CNSA: 1.3 billion US$ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_National_Space_Administration

We as a planet not even spend 100 billion on space, probably even less than 50 billion. We as a planet spend multiple time that for wars.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Green098 said:

Anyways I think humanity is better off gone than in a Zoo.

Which is essentially what we are talking about here. Living captive, away from our natural habitat just to prolong the existence of a species, this is not a way for a to human to live.

Why is having just a few humans alive in existence so important to justify their quality of life?

One day humanity will be gone. Their is nothing you can do, and prolonging it is not a solution. Get over it. Quit living in the future and start living in the present. Their is something meaningful we can do today for future generations, and it's not shipping them off to live like zoo animal.

And I'm sure the people who'll be living in danger of extinction are going to oppose your point. Everybody's goal is to survive. Just because we'll be long dead by that point doesn't mean you can say that prolonging the existence of humanity is not a solution. It's not a decision for us to make but for the end generations.