By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Stephen Hawking Stresses the need to Evacuate

When will we evacuate?

0-100 Years 24 20.51%

100-200 Years 36 30.77%

200-300 Years 14 11.97%

300-400 Years 43 36.75%

Total:117

We're still not ready for interplanetary colonization, we'll pollute and destroy the new planet like we do earf right now.

Once we fix all of earf's problems, then we should pack our bags and leave.

monocle_layton said:
I don't see the point in colonizing other bodies in space when we can't even keep the Earth in decent condition

This

Around the Network
onionberry said:
Why people wanna evacuate this planet to live in a shittier planet is beyond my intelligence. Terraforming is science fiction.

Well said.  Earth is like paradise,  a mini oasis in a big dark and empty space.  Why would I want to leave. 

It'll happen but in 150-200 years or so (in a really big way). We're stupid, we're gonna end up destroying this planet in order for the species to survive we need to spread out so that one catastrophic event (or a quick succession there of) can't wipe out the species.

Kerotan said:
onionberry said:
Why people wanna evacuate this planet to live in a shittier planet is beyond my intelligence. Terraforming is science fiction.

Well said.  Earth is like paradise,  a mini oasis in a big dark and empty space.  Why would I want to leave. 

Well one, our generation doesn't mean shit. We will die here and that's all there is to it. 

It's relevant however to generations 2, 3, 4, waves beyond us and by then Earth may be far from a "paradise". 

Besides "easy living" isn't the pre-requisite for the human (or any other animal species) species. Realize the majority of your blood line lived in harsh conditions and many of them did not know when/where their next meal was coming from and lived with no automated heating, no working toilet, at the mercy of many elements, etc. etc. etc. This is a hostile planet and our ancestors when you look past the last 200 years (a blink of an eye) endured tremendous hardship, never forget that. People settling on even alien planets, as harsh as they would be, would still have many advantages humanity didn't have 200-300 years ago. 

It looks like the universe itself will end anyway when all the expanding matter uses up its energy and contracts back down again to a single mass for the big bang to start again and I think its reasonable to say no intelligent life could ever survive that process so there is a finite limit to man's existence even if we reach the stars and even other galaxies.

Saying that I still think its important as a species to survive for as long as possible. I guess I have some loyalty regarding the human race for some reason and don't wish our culture to die. Just reading a book and engaging with the mind of someone who may not exist anymore is quite an amazing process when you think about it. When you look at the people of the past who have longed died was their existence pointless? I'd like to think it wasn't.

Around the Network

I can understand that in his situation, evacuation can be a tricky and urgent problem... Ah, didn't he mean
THAT kind of evacuation?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

NightDragon83 said:
What if we colonized Mars, and then the first Mars colonists revolted against the Earthlings? We could have our first interplanetary war!

Roughly the plot of the Killzone series.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

We are gonna die as a species if we don't eventually move beyond this planet. Whether it be from us destroying ourselves or some other disaster.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

COKTOE said:
NightDragon83 said:
What if we colonized Mars, and then the first Mars colonists revolted against the Earthlings? We could have our first interplanetary war!

Roughly the plot of the Killzone series.

Also the much older Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. While the opposite, Earth attacking the colonies would be like the even older Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Soundwave said:
Kerotan said:

Well one, our generation doesn't mean shit. We will die here and that's all there is to it. 

It's relevant however to generations 2, 3, 4, waves beyond us and by then Earth may be far from a "paradise". 

Besides "easy living" isn't the pre-requisite for the human (or any other animal species) species. Realize the majority of your blood line lived in harsh conditions and many of them did not know when/where their next meal was coming from and lived with no automated heating, no working toilet, at the mercy of many elements, etc. etc. etc. This is a hostile planet and our ancestors when you look past the last 200 years (a blink of an eye) endured tremendous hardship, never forget that. People settling on even alien planets, as harsh as they would be, would still have many advantages humanity didn't have 200-300 years ago. 

The earth and the sun will be around for millions of years. plenty of time for future generations who will be much more advanced to do all those things. we might aswell just chill out and enjoy life.