By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer - "Why do you care about 60fps?"

contestgamer said:
archer9234 said:

It's one of the things consoles, and tv companies have left to sell you new stuff. Once it becomes boring/common place for 4/8K they're SOL. Are you gonna buy a 8.1 or a 10.1 sound system. Over say a 5.1. Most likley no. There is no good reason to bother getting anymore speakers. All I really want from phones is them to focus on making a 12 hour battery and 1TB of space. All the "new features" are becoming more and more boring/pointless.

What, most phones already do that lol. Why would you aim so low anyway? 3-4 day battery life would be far better. old non smart phones had multi day battery lives.

It has to last 12 hours at 100% full use. Meaning Wifi Bluetooth video playback etc. All functions. Not cherry picking.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Nah. Most of my life, including now, I haven't cared about frame rate a ton. I used to not even be able to tell the difference. Then again I don't care that much about graphics or resolution either. As long as it's fun to play.

To me the important point isn't  30 or 60, it's CONSISTENCY .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Of course Phils going to say who cares about 60 frames. His selling a new machine that does 4k. If he was selling a machine that does 60 frames it would be reserved. Why ask a buisness man stupid questions when his always going to make his product look good to sell it.
Sad to say no one cared when X1 was pumping out 60 frame games. All the console gamers were discussing was resolution differences between PS4 and XB1.

People are forgetting this isnt a next gen console. If X1X achieves 60 frames for all games over the X1S than it throws off the Multiplayer balance. Resolution is an easier option without ruining the balance of gameplay to an unfair advantage.

Cerebralbore101 said:

The year is 2025...

"OMG this game looks so bad! It's only 240 fps, and 12k!"

I believe the eye can't even tell the difference between 60 fps and higher, if I was told correctly. And i'm sure resolutions won't be noticable in difference at some point either. Eventually, the only thing that will continue to matter is if your console play style and games (Nintendo's strong suits) are better than the competitors (Sony and Microsofts weak suit, who focus constantly and almost entirely on fps and resolution).

I could say the same for 4k. I don't know anyone rioting in the streets for 4k.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

for those curious (I was) I googled Uridium and got this:

http://kaijupop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/uridium.gif

I haven't read the actual interview, just the snippet in OP, but I'm guessing why Uridium came up - back in the days, when it launched, everyone gaming on C64 was amazed at how smooth the scrolling was due to high frame rate. I didn't like it much as a game though, but I remember my father trying, and mostly failing, to play it quite a bit.

Because not everyone has a 4K TV Phill, thats why people rather demand 60fps for the XBox One X and PS4 Pro.

I personally would prefer to have more detail and better graphics in general than Resolution and Framerate. Developers should targed more 720p and 900p on regular consoles and 60fps, and leave the 1080p+ and more detail to PS4 Pro and XBox One, like in Tekken 7 or Nier Automata.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Huh. I guess I'm conflicted. On one hand, I agree with Phil that 60 FPS isn't the be-all and end-all.

On the other hand, higher/more stable FPS is dramatically more important than higher resolution, and if Xbox is aiming for the most powerful console ever it should really prize FPS.

The thing is, 4K is sexy right now.  That's what the average consumer cares about, because that's what he hears about every time he see a Best Buy ad, or stops in the electronics section at Walmart.  Frame rate is more of an inside baseball kind of thing.  People that post on gaming forums think about it a lot.  Average Joe does not.  And even among us gamers, I've seen a hell of a lot of discussion of what system can or cannot pull off 4k, and is it true 4k, or checkerboard, etc.  Therefore, when trying to sell a new console, 4k takes priority over 60 frames per second.    

There is also the issue of multiplayer within the console family.  Playing any shooter at 60 fps on X1X gives me a big advantage over someone getting 30 on their OG XB1.  The same applies to any game where reaction time is important, such as some racing and sports games.  So, even if they could achieve a higher frame rate, they wouldn't be able to make use of it in many cases.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Framerate is very important for quick games. But as peripheral vision is low res, but has faster motion (and so flicker too) detection, a high framerate can feel more comfy also in slower games if played on a big screen from a short distance.
So, considering that every modern gaming engine has some degree of scalability, why the hell don't they just offer gamers the option to choose between higher res and higher framerate? It's simple and effective and it would make everybody happy.

Probably because it would take more time and money while generating less sales so no one would care.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Dulfite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The year is 2025...

"OMG this game looks so bad! It's only 240 fps, and 12k!"

I believe the eye can't even tell the difference between 60 fps and higher, if I was told correctly. And i'm sure resolutions won't be noticable in difference at some point either. Eventually, the only thing that will continue to matter is if your console play style and games (Nintendo's strong suits) are better than the competitors (Sony and Microsofts weak suit, who focus constantly and almost entirely on fps and resolution).

Yeah, sure... when Nintendo have a console that is about the same power and pushing 4k60fps Sony and MS will just disappear because no ones care about what they offer.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."