By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which retro games deserve more love?

Tagged games:

Herzog Zwei on the Genesis springs to mind. I loved that game. I remember it getting very low reviews in EGM back in the day. It looked kinda unappealing from the screenshots, and, it had a stupid name. Tried it, and not long after, my friends and I were devising ways to build better bases at recess.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

Astal. I think this game just came out at the wrong time when everyone wanted to show off 3D games. Of course this game has aged very well. Still looks good and plays well. Oddly the US version is tougher than the Japanese version. You had more health in the Japanese version.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Other game series I'm missing very much these days: Panzer general and Battle Isle. But Turn-based Wargames are pretty much dead for about 20 years now.

Damn seems like we have similar taste in games.  I was a big fan of Panzer General back in the day.  I mainly rely on Civ, Advance Wars, Xcom and a few other series to keep my interest in turn based combat going. 

I was always interested in getting Panzer Tactics on the DS because it seemed like it was a close Panzer General game as it could get.  Haven't picked it up yet but might look for it on Amazon in the near future.  Didn't get the greatest reviews but I'm sure if you are a turn based fan then it would score higher for you than some of the reviews.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_Tactics_DS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJC800F-Qcg

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Other game series I'm missing very much these days: Panzer general and Battle Isle. But Turn-based Wargames are pretty much dead for about 20 years now.

Damn seems like we have similar taste in games.  I was a big fan of Panzer General back in the day.  I mainly rely on Civ, Advance Wars, Xcom and a few other series to keep my interest in turn based combat going. 

I was always interested in getting Panzer Tactics on the DS because it seemed like it was a close Panzer General game as it could get.  Haven't picked it up yet but might look for it on Amazon in the near future.  Didn't get the greatest reviews but I'm sure if you are a turn based fan then it would score higher for you than some of the reviews.

Well, there's also Panzer tactics HD on Steam if you can't find the DS one for a decent price

I played it at a friends, and liked it, but it was a bit too close to Panzer General 2/IIID (it's german name) for my liking, both in graphics and gameplay - it's basically a remaster of that one.

This game had its flaws, but it was definitely fun to play.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
sethnintendo said:

Well, there's also Panzer tactics HD on Steam if you can't find the DS one for a decent price

I played it at a friends, and liked it, but it was a bit too close to Panzer General 2/IIID (it's german name) for my liking, both in graphics and gameplay - it's basically a remaster of that one.

Cool thanks for the heads up.  It is 2.50 right now on Summer sale.   I'll probably pick it up once payday rolls through.

Sooooooo many! You seriously can't list them all.

NES/SNES: Faxanadu, Crystalis, Bionic Commando, Star Tropics, Hagane, Illusion of Gaia

PS1: Einhander, Alundra, Legend of Dragoon, Spyro the Dragon.

Genesis: Beyond Oasis, Decap Attack, Ecco the Dolphin, Comix Zone, Vectorman.

A few others come to mind like Panzer Dragoon. It's a shame how many valuable IP out there never get resurrected.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Warcraft 2 and monkey Island 3