By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which retro games deserve more love?

Tagged games:

Alisia Dragoon, an early gem from the Genesis. It never even gets re-released, since Sega doesn't have any rights to it anymore that I'm aware of. It was made by Game Arts (makers of Lunar and Grandia).

Speaking of which, Lunar and especially Lunar 2. I wish they would have done an Eternal Blue Harmony or something, or found some way to get Lunar 2 onto PSN. I've heard the licensing behind Lunar is very sticky.

Around the Network

I'd also like to add the Sakura Wars series. Loved the game that we got in the US, and I wish the rest of the series had made it over, and that Sega was still making games.

I think the biggest problem with gaming culture is the 'play once and move on' mentality. I approach games the way I do music and movies, I don't watch/listen to them once then never go back, so why do people do that with games?

I think Sony MS and Nintendo should all embrace full fledged BC even if they are all digital, make them all availbale to us. Many would repay for their old SNES/PS1/Xbox games. Of course the perfect world would be to allow disc based BC but that's just too consumer friendly, we can't have that shit.

LethalP said:
I think the biggest problem with gaming culture is the 'play once and move on' mentality. I approach games the way I do music and movies, I don't watch/listen to them once then never go back, so why do people do that with games?

I think Sony MS and Nintendo should all embrace full fledged BC even if they are all digital, make them all availbale to us. Many would repay for their old SNES/PS1/Xbox games. Of course the perfect world would be to allow disc based BC but that's just too consumer friendly, we can't have that shit.

As more and more games are pumped into the market each year, the libraries become bigger and bigger. And so the amount of time people can spend for each game becomes smaller. I believe many people witness a feeling of being left behind when they don't buy the latest shit, so they do that and simply can't come back another time because new stuff is already avaliable. It's a feeling of being not up to date. There are many people who fall into that category. This is propelled by our environments today which are much more complex and entertainment screams from every corner to us.

I remember when I was a kid, I came home from school, finished my homework and boom, I had a free afternoon and could play games till dinner. No obligations, just free time. That's why I played Banjo-Kazooie probably 83 times. How was it when you were a kid?

Nowadays I still play every game I enjoy at least twice. I don't feel left behind because VGC keeps me updated. So I can find the time to invest more than 70 hours into a game like The Wonderful 101.

Strike Gunner

Sacrifice:

Evolva:

Lufia 2:

Battlezone 2:

Neverwinter Nights:

And of course.
Black and White.

Clearly I don't want much. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Populous the new beginning 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Powerslave (Exhumed in some regions) is one of the best shooters I've ever played. Rarely see it get a mention though.

Plok is a fun 2D platformer on the SNES.

drbunnig said:

Powerslave (Exhumed in some regions) is one of the best shooters I've ever played. Rarely see it get a mention though.

Plok music was amazing, still listen to it occasionally. Played Exhumed a lot on the Sega Saturn I think, unless it was the playstation and I think I played it on pc too. Fantastic at the time. Duke Nukem 3D was my favourite fps on either console though. 

bonzobanana said:
drbunnig said:

Plok music was amazing, still listen to it occasionally. Played Exhumed a lot on the Sega Saturn I think, unless it was the playstation and I think I played it on pc too. Fantastic at the time. Duke Nukem 3D was my favourite fps on either console though. 

Exhumed was on PS, Saturn and PC. Saturn and PS were very similar in level design but the PC was quite different from what I have read (never played that version).

I'll also add Space Station Silicon Valley for the N64. Really quirky puzzle/platformer, quite difficult at times, but very enjoyable.

GoOnKid said:
LethalP said:

As more and more games are pumped into the market each year, the libraries become bigger and bigger. And so the amount of time people can spend for each game becomes smaller. I believe many people witness a feeling of being left behind when they don't buy the latest shit, so they do that and simply can't come back another time because new stuff is already avaliable. It's a feeling of being not up to date. There are many people who fall into that category. This is propelled by our environments today which are much more complex and entertainment screams from every corner to us.

I remember when I was a kid, I came home from school, finished my homework and boom, I had a free afternoon and could play games till dinner. No obligations, just free time. That's why I played Banjo-Kazooie probably 83 times. How was it when you were a kid?

Nowadays I still play every game I enjoy at least twice. I don't feel left behind because VGC keeps me updated. So I can find the time to invest more than 70 hours into a game like The Wonderful 101.

I'm just not a die hard hobbyist. Even movie buffs find time to watch their favorite movies, they don't feel those movies become redundant just because something newer has released. Jim Ryan from Sony sends me a worrying message tbh.

I may like games a lot, but I'm not one of those gamers who buys everything and builds up a huge backlog. I buy games I almost know for certain I'll like or what look interesting. I don't get ahead of myself.

When I was little I'd play Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Mario 64 over and over yeah. But I haven't really changed much in that regard, as I still play those games a lot now. More than I play new games in fact.