By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo have two games fighting for Game of the year ?

In the end, I also doubt that a game as niche as Persona 5 can go toe to toe with Mario AND Zelda. In fact, I already put Breath of the Wild above it in terms of quality. But, damn it, this game SHOULD get the recognition. My favorite game of all-time!
(I consider favorite and best to be two seperate things.)

Around the Network

It's already surpassed Xenoblade 1 in my view, so Xenoblade 2 is going to have quite the work cut out for it.

Mario rabbids could get some nominations, people seem to love it.

PAOerfulone said:

It's already surpassed Xenoblade 1 in my view, so Xenoblade 2 is going to have quite the work cut out for it.

That's a low bar you're using XD the Xenoblade games aren't even that good. The only reason they're even being given attention is because it's Nintendo's only RPG series behind friggin' Pokemon. If it was "Tales of" swapped with Xenoblade, Nintendo's fanbase would be clamoring Tales of Berseria as GOTY, hell prob even GOAT material... 

Persona 5 deserves recognition, it's a beautifully made game, but unfortunately Atlus will probably have to wait until Persona 6. The series is growing a lot with each iteration, at least. And it will earn some GOTY rewards. 

StarOcean said:
PAOerfulone said:

That's a low bar you're using XD the Xenoblade games aren't even that good. The only reason they're even being given attention is because it's Nintendo's only RPG series behind friggin' Pokemon. If it was "Tales of" swapped with Xenoblade, Nintendo's fanbase would be clamoring Tales of Berseria as GOTY, hell prob even GOAT material... 

Persona 5 deserves recognition, it's a beautifully made game, but unfortunately Atlus will probably have to wait until Persona 6. The series is growing a lot with each iteration, at least. And it will earn some GOTY rewards. 

So you're telling me that NS game wasn't a Tales Of?... 

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

If it has already surpassed it, then how does it have its work cut out for it?

bigtakilla said:
StarOcean said:

NS game?

Mario Odyssey because it comes out at the end of the year when goty's are being handed out. Mario being fresh in memory will win more awards.

Tryklon said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Nintendo has a pretty good shot... but so does Sony with Horizon. I was looking forward to get into a bunch of the new games that came out this year, but im a bit behind on my gaming. Personally I think Nioh and Zelda and Horizon look like the best games

How can Horizon even compete with BoTW, it had overwhelmingly lower scores and it's already out or very low on weekly sale charts, while BoTW keep hanging on to 2nd or even 1st place some weeks...

It is a great game nonetheless, I am loving it, but it simply cannot compete with BoTW for GOTY

Horizon was severely underscored is the general consensus and besides, there are more than 200 outlets giving out goty awards and it's not always the highest scoring game winning the most. Also, what weekly sales charts? Horizon sold 3.4M copies in 7-8 weeks, more than the Switch version of Zeruda, it didn't stop selling.

Zelda has more chance than Mario. It's a series that even hardcore nintendo haters can like because it's not ''a kiddo game". It has the best mix of critical reception and commercial success and open world games are incredibly popular these days meanwhile platformer games are too specific. I don't even recall a platformer winning GOTY since 1996.

StarOcean said:
bigtakilla said:

NS game?

Nintendo Switch game. Just a joke on behalf of the art direction taken in Xenoblade 2. Point is I think you're right. It's a bit too niche, and I'd give it a rough time beating not only the first game overall, but also people are underestimating Ni No Kuni 2 for it even getting best jrpg. Ni No Kuni pretty much sounds like Studio Ghibli Suikoden.