By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo have two games fighting for Game of the year ?

I was talking about Persona 5...

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
PAOerfulone said:

It's already surpassed Xenoblade 1 in my view, so Xenoblade 2 is going to have quite the work cut out for it.

That's a low bar you're using XD the Xenoblade games aren't even that good. The only reason they're even being given attention is because it's Nintendo's only RPG series behind friggin' Pokemon. If it was "Tales of" swapped with Xenoblade, Nintendo's fanbase would be clamoring Tales of Berseria as GOTY, hell prob even GOAT material... 

Persona 5 deserves recognition, it's a beautifully made game, but unfortunately Atlus will probably have to wait until Persona 6. The series is growing a lot with each iteration, at least. And it will earn some GOTY rewards. 

This is not even close to true. It get's attention because it's one of the first JRPGs to get open world scale right, something I think only FFXV has tried to do since. Tales isn't even in the same stratosphere in terms of quality.

XCX wasn't that good though, but no one is claiming that it is. The first XB is a JRPG classic, and easily one of the best JRPGs of all time.

bigtakilla said:
StarOcean said:

NS game?

Nintendo Switch game. Just a joke on behalf of the art direction taken in Xenoblade 2. Point is I think you're right. It's a bit too niche, and I'd give it a rough time beating not only the first game overall, but also people are underestimating Ni No Kuni 2 for it even getting best jrpg. Ni No Kuni pretty much sounds like Studio Ghibli Suikoden.

Ohhh XD yeah... Thats why I compared it to Tales of actually. XB2 has that Tales art style going for it

spemanig said:
StarOcean said:

That's a low bar you're using XD the Xenoblade games aren't even that good. The only reason they're even being given attention is because it's Nintendo's only RPG series behind friggin' Pokemon. If it was "Tales of" swapped with Xenoblade, Nintendo's fanbase would be clamoring Tales of Berseria as GOTY, hell prob even GOAT material... 

Persona 5 deserves recognition, it's a beautifully made game, but unfortunately Atlus will probably have to wait until Persona 6. The series is growing a lot with each iteration, at least. And it will earn some GOTY rewards. 

This is not even close to true. It get's attention because it's one of the first JRPGs to get open world scale right, something I think only FFXV has tried to do since. Tales isn't even in the same stratosphere in terms of quality.

XCX wasn't that good though, but no one is claiming that it is. The first XB is a JRPG classic, and easily one of the best JRPGs of all time.

I like the game. But it can be borderline unplayable with its clunky battle system. Idc what some say, but I cannot stand the originals battlesystem at all  

Nope. BotW will definitely and deservedly win most GotY 2017 awards.

Around the Network

its gonna be a tough call.

StarOcean said:
spemanig said:

I like the game. But it can be borderline unplayable with its clunky battle system. Idc what some say, but I cannot stand the originals battlesystem at all  

I like the battle system, but that's just a preference. I don't think that translates to "people only like this game because it's a nintendo RPG." That isn't true. Even with a clunky battle system, it did things that JRPGs have only now started to do, and none as successfully.

spemanig said:
StarOcean said:

I like the battle system, but that's just a preference. I don't think that translates to "people only like this game because it's a nintendo RPG." That isn't true. Even with a clunky battle system, it did things that JRPGs have only now started to do, and none as successfully.

I was kidding about that XD but the game definitely would go higher on my list if the system was better. I especially hate the forced battle tactics stuff they pull. "You HAVE to chain or else we cant win, Shulk!" Im not gonna pretend Im that far in the game, Im not. I got Ricky recently in it. But already there's been 2 or 3 battles where you have to use the chain to win. And I absolutely detest chaining in this game, its so awkward. The game would be in my top 10 games ever if that glaring issue of a battle system was fixed, or at least streamlined better

Horizon is a major game contender, but BotW's gives it's player way more freedom in getting around. Being able to climb any mountain, para-glide to any point, and ride a horse that auto-pilots itself changes the way you get around the world too much. Trying to bethesda your way up a mountain, or find a safe way down feels clunky and outdated by comparison. Then there's the multiple points at which Horizon's map just flat out tells you "don't go any further or we will load a save".

Nioh is another great GotY contender, but the game asks you to grind too much. Constant random loot drops are an annoyance when 95% of what you pickup is a garbage tier weapon.

BotW's biggest flaws are the stamina system, and weapon breakage. The stamina gauge is upgradable to three full rings though, and with the right armor you can climb/swim forever. Weapons break, but the game showers you with weapons, especially late game. My current inventory is filled with nothing but weapons that have extra durability, extra attack power, or an elemental effect. There are a thousand different ways to take out enemies quickly, from freezing them and dropping them off a cliff to walking up to them with full thunder gear on in a rainstorm.

If Odyssey is anything like Galaxy it will be a serious GotY contender.

StarOcean said:
PAOerfulone said:

It's already surpassed Xenoblade 1 in my view, so Xenoblade 2 is going to have quite the work cut out for it.

I respectuflly disagree. Xenoblade Chronicles is probably the best game I've ever played. In addition to being gorgeous for a Wii game, it's a masterpiece in every aspect.