By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox One X is a great value and expensive simultaneously

Mr Puggsly said:
RJ_Sizzle said:
The thing that kills me is, and just so I have this straight. PC gaming is expensive, but buying 3 Xbox One consoles in the span of four years isn't?

But you also have 3 machines, you can have a LAN party!

Its safe to assume the average consumer won't buy all three. Or maybe you sell your old unit and but it towards the new.

These are just options.

His point is valid though... A lot of hardcore fans who already bought the 500,- KinectBox at launch will also gave bought the One S for 399,- last year and are now asked to shell out another 500,-. As lots of hardcore fans will probably update the market for used X1/X1Ss will explode and make them very cheap...I mean Mucrosoft themselves were forced to sell the X1S for 200 including games lately and it still didn't sell.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
thismeintiel said:

Except if the Pro is $299 (a very mass market price), especially if the Slim is still $199, there are going to be more people willing to upgrade.  Or upgrade if they are shopping for a 2nd PS4.  Or even new PS4 consumers.  Sure most will stick with the Slim, that will never change.  But, a $299 price for the best PS4, when someone has already decided to go PS4, is going to be very alluring.

I think that current PS4 owners that don't own a Pro yet and want to upgrade to 4k  (because they bought a new TV and need content for it for example) are more likely to upgrade to Xbox One X than a PS4 Pro, because they will get a whole new library to play. And a 4k BluRay player. But again, that is a VERY small group of people.

-No one needs a 4K BluRay player.. there are hardly any 4K BluRays available anyway.

-What is that unique XBox library you're talking about?! It's like 5 games or so, THAT's MS's huge problem.

Errorist76 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Its safe to assume the average consumer won't buy all three. Or maybe you sell your old unit and but it towards the new.

These are just options.

His point is valid though... A lot of hardcore fans who already bought the 500,- KinectBox at launch will also gave bought the One S for 399,- last year and are now asked to shell out another 500,-. As lots of hardcore fans will probably update the market for used X1/X1Ss will explode and make them very cheap...I mean Mucrosoft themselves were forced to sell the X1S for 200 including games lately and it still didn't sell.

The Xbox One S was never on sale for $399...
It launched for $299 AND MS announced the Xbox One S WITH the Xbox One X (Scorpio). So you knew that there will be a more powerful console out in 2017 when you bought the S in 2016. 

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Errorist76 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I think that current PS4 owners that don't own a Pro yet and want to upgrade to 4k  (because they bought a new TV and need content for it for example) are more likely to upgrade to Xbox One X than a PS4 Pro, because they will get a whole new library to play. And a 4k BluRay player. But again, that is a VERY small group of people.

-No one needs a 4K BluRay player.. there are hardly any 4K BluRays available anyway.

-What is that unique XBox library you're talking about?! It's like 5 games or so, THAT's MS's huge problem.

I want a 4k BluRay Player.

Whops, there goes your argument.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

Do you think there are millions of people out there who bought a Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X AND an Elite Controller?

That is like 0.02% of the userbase.

But anyway, even that would mean they have three consoles. You could not build three gaming PCs (+ input devices) for the same amount of money.

Just go ahead, show me a 199€ gaming PC that will play basically every major AAA game for the next two years. Show me your links to it. 

oh and I am not making things up. Read it here:
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Yes. Each Xbox One model is an improvement over the other, and millions opted to upgeade to the S the second half of the year it came out. If Phil thought he was making a console that would sell to only 0.02 percent of the userbase, then it would have been a major fail. The S to OG xbox ratio is WAY larger than 0.02 percent, I don't know where that figure came from. And many of the Xbox hardcore will invest in an Xbox One X. They've been hyping it for over a year now, and you better believe they want a turnout for it amongst the fandom.

The point isn't to have three gaming PCs, the point is investing in ONE PC with parts that you can upgrade over time. You invest in a case, a PSU, RAM, mobo, CPU, card and you don't have to kick all these items to the curb when you upgrade. You can eventually pull and replace the ones you want at leisure.

The kind of person that wants to buy an Xbox One only when it's 199 Euros is not the type of gamer that's going to buy an Xbox One X. I'm talking about the gamers that are day one on everything, or at least the first year. There are still plenty of those.

Also, I don't know what you're trying to get out of that Steam survey. 125 million people use Steam, of course not everyone is going to have the same setup. I guess in the same way everyone who uses XBL is using different configurations... from PCs, to tablets, to 360s to both current Xbox One models. Many people play Steam games on their laptops. There's nothing there that suggests Xbox One X is better than 90% of every machine that uses Steam. It's kind of not relevant to the conversation anyway. Since the type of person who wants a One X is likely someone who's already in the ecosystem, buying what's been released by MS so far. That adds up, and isn't more sound than investing in PC parts over the same period since the result is less.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:

As lots of hardcore fans will probably update the market for used X1/X1Ss will explode and make them very cheap...I mean Mucrosoft themselves were forced to sell the X1S for 200 including games lately and it still didn't sell.

Pretty sure that never happened with the Playstation 4. So there isn't any real precedent for it.

Errorist76 said:

No one needs electricity, cars, houses... But it sure is nice.

125 million people use Steam, of course not everyone is going to have the same setup.

That number is from several years ago. It's likely significantly higher now. Could be closer to 200~ million.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Errorist76 said:

As lots of hardcore fans will probably update the market for used X1/X1Ss will explode and make them very cheap...I mean Mucrosoft themselves were forced to sell the X1S for 200 including games lately and it still didn't sell.

Pretty sure that never happened with the Playstation 4. So there isn't any real precedent for it.

Errorist76 said:

125 million people use Steam, of course not everyone is going to have the same setup.

That number is from several years ago. It's likely significantly higher now. Could be closer to 200~ million.

Honestly the bluray player is useless. I don't know anyone still popping in DVD's and blurays to watch a movie. Everbody streams evreythign that's where things are headed. They wasted their money with that addition.

method114 said:
Pemalite said:

Honestly the bluray player is useless. I don't know anyone still popping in DVD's and blurays to watch a movie. Everbody streams evreythign that's where things are headed. They wasted their money with that addition.

Your argument is one based on only ancedotal evidence? Okay then.

There are still millions of people who use CD's, DVD's, Blu-Rays. And there is only 1 console on the market that can play them all, soon to be 2. The Xbox One S. And the Xbox One X.
It's a checklist feature that appeals to those who actually care about the best quality Audio and Video. Aka. Videophiles.

The Playstation 4 cannot even play back CD's. I mean seriously. Could have had backwards compatability with the PS1 if it did.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

What kind of Live pass does it come with? 12 month?

Errorist76 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

These are just options.

Again, thats multiple machines. So these people own 3 machines or maybe gave/sold old units.

I dont think $200 is the common price at retailers and it just seems to be with Minecraft.

Also, I argue MS's primary goal should be making sure sales are steady. That simply keeps Xbox viable, thus far sales are steady and I suppose X1X will give a boost. Xbox does great during the holidays even of other months look modest.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)