By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox One X is a great value and expensive simultaneously

Qwark said:
Well the problem is we don't know whether the device is going to last longer than 3 years. Before the X2 is announced if it even gets announced or MS us going to turn Xbox into a W10 gaming pc brand. If it gets support for another 4 years and exclusive which use the potential of the console it's value iems fine. If it doesn't and only gets a few cross games at the launch of the PS5/X2 in 2020 it's value perspective gets darker.

I agree with all of this.  I'd add that we don't know to what extent devs will make use of the extra power.  This mid generation upgrade stuff is new.  The same applies to PS4 Pro, as well.  We don't have enough data to determine the value in the long term.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Qwark said:
Well the problem is we don't know whether the device is going to last longer than 3 years. Before the X2 is announced if it even gets announced or MS us going to turn Xbox into a W10 gaming pc brand. If it gets support for another 4 years and exclusive which use the potential of the console it's value iems fine. If it doesn't and only gets a few cross games at the launch of the PS5/X2 in 2020 it's value perspective gets darker.

I agree with all of this.  I'd add that we don't know to what extent devs will make use of the extra power.  This mid generation upgrade stuff is new.  The same applies to PS4 Pro, as well.  We don't have enough data to determine the value in the long term.

The only games I know that really take advantage of the PS4 pro are actually exclusive games like Horizon, Wipeout and R&C and some EA games. Which means that games that will really utilise the PS4 pro's potential will probably be exclusive games. I doubt that's going to be different with the XBOX. So I guess both consoles will get patches from third party devs. But it's up to Sony and MS to make the XBOX and Pro live up to there potential.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Phronesis said:

I don't think it will sell. We see PS4 Pro struggling so $100 more for a little more? Hm... Nope.

How is PS4 Pro struggling?

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Tmfwang said:
Phronesis said:

I don't think it will sell. We see PS4 Pro struggling so $100 more for a little more? Hm... Nope.

I think people on both sides of the fence just had a preconceived notion that just because it's got "Playstation" stamped on it, it was going to sell 10's of million of units and match the base Playstation 4. It didn't happen... And somehow that translates into a failure in their eyes, when really it was never Sony's goal to begin with.
I mean 20% isn't a stellar sales rate, but it's not exactly something you can snob-off either.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Tmfwang said:

I think people on both sides of the fence just had a preconceived notion that just because it's got "Playstation" stamped on it, it was going to sell 10's of million of units and match the base Playstation 4. It didn't happen... And somehow that translates into a failure in their eyes, when really it was never Sony's goal to begin with.
I mean 20% isn't a stellar sales rate, but it's not exactly something you can snob-off either.

Except if this 20% continues, it will sell 10M+. Of course, once the price drops this year, I expect it to go up further.  I wouldn't be surprised to we see it jump to 33% when it drops to $299.

I doubt the XBX will see that kind of success. I expect every 1 in 6-8. Even if it matches the 20%, with XBO only having ~20M more to sell after it launches, that would only be 4M in sales. I doubt the top brass at MS will look favorably at that.

Around the Network

probably the cost is because of the UHD bluray player. because in game related stuff it just do the same as the PRO. Few native 4K games; and lots of 4k checkboard games.

thismeintiel said:

Except if this 20% continues, it will sell 10M+. Of course, once the price drops this year, I expect it to go up further.  I wouldn't be surprised to we see it jump to 33% when it drops to $299.

I doubt the XBX will see that kind of success. I expect every 1 in 6-8. Even if it matches the 20%, with XBO only having ~20M more to sell after it launches, that would only be 4M in sales. I doubt the top brass at MS will look favorably at that.

That's the problem. You are using "if" arguments.
The complete opposite could also occur.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
thismeintiel said:

But, how likely is the opposite to occur?  I really don't see how the ratio would go down as the price moves into a more mass market friendly price.  I also don't see the XBX having a better ratio at $150+ more than the Pro.

thismeintiel said:
Pemalite said:

But, how likely is the opposite to occur?  I really don't see how the ratio would go down as the price moves into a more mass market friendly price.  I also don't see the XBX having a better ratio at $150+ more than the Pro.

As the group of people willing to upgrade dries up, sales will go down. The ps4 slim will get an even more mass market friendly price, the ratio will likely stay the same. It won't be any different for XBox One S and X.

SvennoJ said:
thismeintiel said:

As the group of people willing to upgrade dries up, sales will go down. The ps4 slim will get an even more mass market friendly price, the ratio will likely stay the same. It won't be any different for XBox One S and X.

Except if the Pro is $299 (a very mass market price), especially if the Slim is still $199, there are going to be more people willing to upgrade.  Or upgrade if they are shopping for a 2nd PS4.  Or even new PS4 consumers.  Sure most will stick with the Slim, that will never change.  But, a $299 price for the best PS4, when someone has already decided to go PS4, is going to be very alluring.