By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox One X is a great value and expensive simultaneously

SvennoJ said:
RJ_Sizzle said:
The thing that kills me is, and just so I have this straight. PC gaming is expensive, but buying 3 Xbox One consoles in the span of four years isn't?

Don't PC gamers buy a new $600 GPU every 6 months? :p
The difference is, you 'upgrade' your console, now you have two! It's cheaper to upgrade your PC though, if you don't go crazy.

It would be great value with another 6 to 10 year support for XbOX, yet what's going to happen with this gens refreshes when next gen starts remains to be seen. Ofcourse the ones buying these refershes don't expect to use them for 6 years, they'll be ready to upgrade again in another 2 or 3 years. The general consumer will simply buy the base version.

How often does a typical user even update their graphics card? I wonder if Steam has statistics on what types of graphics cards people use

Around the Network

No its just a great value for its money.

monocle_layton said:
SvennoJ said:

Don't PC gamers buy a new $600 GPU every 6 months? :p
The difference is, you 'upgrade' your console, now you have two! It's cheaper to upgrade your PC though, if you don't go crazy.

It would be great value with another 6 to 10 year support for XbOX, yet what's going to happen with this gens refreshes when next gen starts remains to be seen. Ofcourse the ones buying these refershes don't expect to use them for 6 years, they'll be ready to upgrade again in another 2 or 3 years. The general consumer will simply buy the base version.

How often does a typical user even update their graphics card? I wonder if Steam has statistics on what types of graphics cards people use

I used to update after about 1.5 to 2 years and buy a new pc after 3 or 4 years. However PCs last longer nowadays.
Yet I imagine CGI-quality spends a whole lot on yearly updates!

Steam has those stats http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

SvennoJ said:
monocle_layton said:

I used to update after about 1.5 to 2 years and buy a new pc after 3 or 4 years. However PCs last longer nowadays.
Yet I imagine CGI-quality spends a whole lot on yearly updates!

Steam has those stats http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

Looks like more affordable cards are common.

Considering how the One X isn't even out yet, I can see it quickly being outmatched eventually. I'm sure the GTX 1160 will do so easily

monocle_layton said:

I'm sure we all remember the PS3. It had this complicated CELL processor, ps2 support, a blu-ray drive, and wi-fi built in (the 360 didn't). This was badass, until we all saw the $599 pricetag. To make it worse, the PS3 was being sold at a loss. Sony eventually lost billions until they turned it around and made a more affordable (and slimmer) version.

Sony managed to make their console affordable and profitable by also cutting a ton of features. Don't forget that.
They threw away Playstation 2 support, they threw away Linux support, they threw away the card reader and probably a few other things.

The Xbox 360 also ended up having wifi built in.

RJ_Sizzle said:
The thing that kills me is, and just so I have this straight. PC gaming is expensive, but buying 3 Xbox One consoles in the span of four years isn't?

The initial outlay for a PC is generally more expensive. However... Their cost over time is significantly lower than a console as they can last for multiple console generations and get free online.
And if you tend to buy allot of games, PC has the clear advantage.

I am still using base 2011 hardware in my PC. And yet it's still faster than Scorpio and it still has years of life left in her still. My motherboard and PSU also has a 10 year warranty on it, so the system is expected to last until 2021 at the earliest.

monocle_layton said:

Considering how the One X isn't even out yet, I can see it quickly being outmatched eventually. I'm sure the GTX 1160 will do so easily

Scorpio's GPU is only mid-range. It's already outmatched.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I think its crazy expensive. 500 dollars is nuts.

In fact, 400 hundred dollars is nuts. I think a lot of people give Sony a break on that price due to them being the market leader, but over shooting their pricing is crazy

RJ_Sizzle said:

But you also have 3 machines, you can have a LAN party!

Its safe to assume the average consumer won't buy all three. Or maybe you sell your old unit and but it towards the new.

These are just options.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I honestly cannot imagine why would anyone buy the X. Only hardcore xbox fan might upgrade. They have done nothing to bring gamers on their side. It will be interesting to see the comparison on 1080P HDTV as well as 4K TV with PS4P. I think it will be tough to justify 100$ price tag.

Pemalite said:
monocle_layton said:

I'm sure we all remember the PS3. It had this complicated CELL processor, ps2 support, a blu-ray drive, and wi-fi built in (the 360 didn't). This was badass, until we all saw the $599 pricetag. To make it worse, the PS3 was being sold at a loss. Sony eventually lost billions until they turned it around and made a more affordable (and slimmer) version.

Sony managed to make their console affordable and profitable by also cutting a ton of features. Don't forget that.
They threw away Playstation 2 support, they threw away Linux support, they threw away the card reader and probably a few other things.

The Xbox 360 also ended up having wifi built in.

monocle_layton said:

Scorpio's GPU is only mid-range. It's already outmatched.

So, would it then be fair to say that loaded consoles simply aren't successful in terms of revenue/profit? 

Also, I'm not exactly a PC enthusiast, so what would the Scorpio's GPU be comparable to? A 1060-1070?

Well the problem is we don't know whether the device is going to last longer than 3 years. Before the X2 is announced if it even gets announced or MS us going to turn Xbox into a W10 gaming pc brand. If it gets support for another 4 years and exclusive which use the potential of the console it's value iems fine. If it doesn't and only gets a few cross games at the launch of the PS5/X2 in 2020 it's value perspective gets darker.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar