By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much will Monster Hunter World sell?

How much will Monster Hunter World sell?

<2M 70 23.49%

2M-3M 78 26.17%

3M-4M 38 12.75%

4M-5M 14 4.70%

5M-6M 14 4.70%

6M-8M 11 3.69%

8M-10M 4 1.34%

>10M 16 5.37%

Crapcom sucks 24 8.05%

see results 29 9.73%

Total:298
Player2 said:
Kerotan said:
Across ps4/xb1/pc I guess 3.1m

If your prediction becomes true you won't see another Monster Hunter on PS4/XB1/PC.

3m for a game like this would be very profitable.  

I think they'd continue to release them and release a seperate portable version on Switch too.  

Overall the best way to maximise sales. 

Around the Network

So, seeing this, the overall consensus seems to be that this title sells pretty bad for a MOnster Hunter. That is disappointing and somewhat frightening regarding the future of the series.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
So, seeing this, the overall consensus seems to be that this title sells pretty bad for a MOnster Hunter. That is disappointing and somewhat frightening regarding the future of the series.

Frightening, but not for everyone.

Less than 750k in Japan and less than 2.6 million WW.

think-man said:
Guys, stop bringing up the Switch in this discussion.

My prediction is around 1.5 million.

Switch.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Kerotan said:
Player2 said:

If your prediction becomes true you won't see another Monster Hunter on PS4/XB1/PC.

I think they'd continue to release them and release a seperate portable version on Switch too.  

2.22M wasn't enough for Capcom to keep making Monster Hunter for Wii, and that game used recycled assets from older games.

This Monster Hunter has a noticeable jump in graphics, is open world and has to be optimized for several hardware configurations. If it sells 3M the only way a sequel will be made is if Sony keeps throwing money at Capcom.

Around the Network

We are talking about Global sales, aren't we?
I will predict 3.8M for Monster Hunter World on all available platforms.

I think a little bit more than Monster Hunter Tri. Probably 2.4 million. It will have fewer Japanese sales than Tri, but more Western sales. I suspect  a maximum 1 million in Japan on PS4 and 1.4 million in the West on all three platforms.

Mnementh said:

Not if they've a seperate switch version planned for late next year, And maybe even one last 3ds game. Because that would still be profitable. 

Player2 said:
Kerotan said:

2.22M wasn't enough for Capcom to keep making Monster Hunter for Wii, and that game used recycled assets from older games.

This Monster Hunter has a noticeable jump in graphics, is open world and has to be optimized for several hardware configurations. If it sells 3M the only way a sequel will be made is if Sony keeps throwing money at Capcom.

Do people not understand that yes while building the assets for this big upgrade will dent profits it has to be done sometime. And it pays off when they re use these assets for the rest of the gen be it on switch or ps4 or both. It's an investment. But forum fans seem to only liik at the short term. 

Mnementh said:
Wow, you all really lowballing the expectations. 2.5M-3M are expected for a home console release. The Wii-game made more than 2M and this game is on multiple platforms. Multipat doesn't add much, but it adds something.

Expecting the game to transfer the japanese base would lead to the expectation of >4M.
If we also assume it grows in the west and/or finds new gamers because of updated graphics this would lead to expectations of at least 5M. You all stayed way below that mark. Wanna explain?

The bolded is where you are going wrong. You even said yourself, the Wii game sold slightly more than 2 million, and that was the best selling console Monster Hunter -- on the Wii -- a console which sold 12.75 million in Japan.

Dr.Vita said:
We are talking about Global sales, aren't we?
I will predict 3.8M for Monster Hunter World on all available platforms.

Yeah, globally. Although it might also be interesting if people say how they think it breaks down between regions/platforms.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]