By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If it's on a Microsoft console AND the PC, it's an exclusive.

dharh said:
d21lewis said:

Don't they get your money whether you buy it on PC or console? It's still a sale.

How many royalties does MS get from a PC game vs a XBONE game is what i'd like to know.  If zero on the PC then that has some major signifigance and could be the reason why MS would push sales to its POS Windows Store.

MS doesn't get any royalty for PC games done outside of their store

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

'PC & Xbox' shouldn't imo be given the word 'exclusive'. If it was 'Windows Store & Xbox' then I can see the 'exclusive' card used because Microsoft owns both and keeps their portion of each game sold. But I could use Windows 10 as the OS but a different service for games (GoG, Steam, etc.) where Steam, GoG, etc. own those digital stores and I believe keep all the revenue not distributed to the games developer/publisher.

Most if not all popular games except for a few GoW/Forza/Halo are available on Steam. I've not bought any games from Windows Store since its inception.

It really is not. I can play those "exclusives" on a PC that's either Acer, Asus or MSI.... on a Winodws 10 license that cost me like 100 bucks.

So pardon me, but that's not what I'd call exclusive, especially when the console version is the worst one of the two.

Machiavellian said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
It's "console exclusive" and "MS exclusive". To be totally exclusive it must be on just one platform. Anyhow it's clear that being console exclusive and MS exclusive is more than just console exclusive for MS if we consider its overall corporate purposes and not just its XB division's ones. But it's still less than total exclusive if we consider profits and XB division purposes, as PC version sales will bring neither royalties nor console HW sales.

I believe Phil is in charge of both PC and Xbox games division.  Meaning sales in the PC space helps the whole department not jut the Xbox.

That's a fair assessment. Plus they can use profits and statistics from the PC division to make the Xbox division look healthier.

Neodegenerate said:

Even though when a game not published by Microsoft is sold on Steam Microsoft gets 0 dollars from the transaction?  That's not MS exclusive to me at all.

Depends on the game. There are Steam games that tied into Games for Windows Live, so Microsoft likely made some money off them.

Other games also use some of Microsoft's middleware such as Havok, so Microsoft likely makes cash off that too... Plus it keeps their Windows OS a must-have for PC gamers that they make billions from.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Machiavellian said:

I believe Phil is in charge of both PC and Xbox games division.  Meaning sales in the PC space helps the whole department not jut the Xbox.

That's a fair assessment. Plus they can use profits and statistics from the PC division to make the Xbox division look healthier.

Neodegenerate said:

Even though when a game not published by Microsoft is sold on Steam Microsoft gets 0 dollars from the transaction?  That's not MS exclusive to me at all.

Depends on the game. There are Steam games that tied into Games for Windows Live, so Microsoft likely made some money off them.

Other games also use some of Microsoft's middleware such as Havok, so Microsoft likely makes cash off that too... Plus it keeps their Windows OS a must-have for PC gamers that they make billions from.

And now we are getting way too deep into the minutae of the statement.  I think you and everyone else understood and were capable of following my point.

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:

And now we are getting way too deep into the minutae of the statement.  I think you and everyone else understood and were capable of following my point.

I understood your point. Just thought it needed to be expanded upon.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Is the debate what is an exclusive or is it their are multiple types of exclusives. When it all comes together it probably still just a term that means something to you based on if the other platform is something you own or use for games. For Sony and MS I am sure they see exclusive as being "Can my competitor access the same games". I am sure Sony considered Street Figther V as an exclusive since it could not be played on MS or Nintendo system and it was not sold in the Windows Store on the PC. Console exclusives is still considered very powerful as there are a few games that are Exclusive to Sony console that have come out on the PC but the perception is that they are still a Sony exclusive,

Ask yourself "Do I need to buy X system to play X game?" If the answer is no then the game is not exclusive. It really is that simple.

Pemalite said:
Machiavellian said:

Neodegenerate said:

So Havok being the engine of some PS exclusives does that make the game non-exclusive?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Going by Permalite definition and the existence of emulation there isn't exclusives.

How many times does emulation have anything to do with licensing?