By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If it's on a Microsoft console AND the PC, it's an exclusive.

Nope it isn't exclusive...

It can only be counted when and not even quite 1:1 on cases of platform vs platform.

X1 vs PS4 available game, then you list what can be played in one that can't in the other. Same for X1 vs Switch or PS4 vs Switch.

But that aint 1:1 because in case of X1 about 100% of the games can be played on PC and so they having no real exclusives make the list versus PS4 either using true exclusives or silly definitions see weak.

And in the case of a PS4 vs Switch it gets bad for switch because the multiplats aren't majorily there.

But since I play mostly 1st party with some 2nd part or older franchises that were born in the 90s the MPs are just bonus for me. If I preferred the Nintendo games I would be a Switch owner instead of a PS4 owner, but I do prefer Sony 1st parties.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Mafioso said:
Neodegenerate said:

Even though when a game not published by Microsoft is sold on Steam Microsoft gets 0 dollars from the transaction?  That's not MS exclusive to me at all.

What does that have do with the fact that a Microsoft platform is required to access such Steam content?

The fact that Microsoft isn't getting anything out of it has everything to do with it.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have launched their games only in their own store to compete with Steam.

Also, as others have pointed out, you don't actually need a Microsoft OS to play the games.  There are workarounds that are not Microsoft products that can be used on PCs without the Win OS.

Captain_Yuri said:

I don't think there has been any other word that have gone through this many changes in its "meaning" as the word "exclusive" this generation

Exclusive means nothing at this point, everyone gives it it's own twist.

Shadow1980 said:

In all seriousness, though, was the idea that "If it's also on PC it's not exclusive" always been a thing? Console games have gotten PC ports for over 20 years now. FFVII was released on PC less than a year after its release on PS1, but I don't recall anyone saying that FFVII wasn't an exclusive anymore. Same for FFVIII, MGS, Tomb Raider II & III, and Driver. All got PC ports at the same time as or less than a year after the PS1 version was released.

And none of them were PS1-exclusives.

Shadow1980 said:

Personally, I think that if a game releases on one console but not any of the others but does get a PC release—a "console exclusive," to use Wikipedia's classification in games lists by platform—it should be considered "exclusive." Exclusivity doesn't have to always mean full exclusivity. If you're a console-only gamer and can only buy a specific game for only one of the three console platforms, then it's an exclusive.

By that logic if you're a PC-only gamer you can also ignore all console versions and declare almost any multiplatform game as "PC exclusive".

Going by Permalite definition and the existence of emulation there isn't exclusives.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
Barkley said:

Disagree.

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush 2
Wipeout Omega Collection
Yakuza 0
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8
Kingdom Herats 1.5 + 2.5 HD
Final Fantasy XII: HD
Digimon World: Next Order
MLB The Show 17
Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy
Nioh
Persona 5
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Gran Turismo Sport
Everybody's Golf
Knack 2
Hellblade

These games are all actual exclusives, none of them on pc, and these titles all released or are releasing in 2017.

Wipeout games in that collection are on PS3 and Vita

Yakuza 0 is also on PS3

Digimon is also on Vita

Persona 5 is also on PS3

A remaster is not a true exclusive. The remaster is but the game overall isn't exclusive.

Hellblade is also coming to PC

so Nintendo Switch has no big exclusives so far, correct?

d21lewis said:
sundin13 said:
If they want my money, release games that I can't buy on PC...

Don't they get your money whether you buy it on PC or console? It's still a sale.

How many royalties does MS get from a PC game vs a XBONE game is what i'd like to know.  If zero on the PC then that has some major signifigance and could be the reason why MS would push sales to its POS Windows Store.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Neodegenerate said:
Mafioso said:

What does that have do with the fact that a Microsoft platform is required to access such Steam content?

The fact that Microsoft isn't getting anything out of it has everything to do with it.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have launched their games only in their own store to compete with Steam.

Also, as others have pointed out, you don't actually need a Microsoft OS to play the games.  There are workarounds that are not Microsoft products that can be used on PCs without the Win OS.

Sorry, some 'workaround' doesnt change he fact that the developer made the game for Windows. A game developed for Windows is a game developed for Windows.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

If something is exclusive you can only get it on one platform.

Have you heard this? "A true King doesn't need to say he is a King"

Trust me, if those XBox / PC games were really exclusives, you wouldn't even need to make a thread about it.

There is not way around it.

Exclusive:

noun: exclusive; plural noun: exclusives

- an item or story published or broadcast by only one source.

Games Launches in One Source / Platform = Exclusive
Games Launches in Two Sources / Platforms = Non Exclusive

The word exclusive has a over-valued connotation, but at least let's use it correctly, shall we...

Now, is there a PROPER WORD that actually describes this situation that nobody forced the XBox division to get into?