By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Mario Kart 9 won't release until a decade or more after MK8

ALinkInTime said:

Congrats on the prediction. Despite MK8 being so old, the 48 additional tracks added through the BCP help it feel fresh so many years later.

MK8 selling so well led to the Booster Course which has led to the gap.

There's almost no way Nintendo would've milked MK8 for so long if it wasn't so profitable, just like we would've gotten GTA VI on PS4 or at least early on PS5 if GTA V didn't print so much money. 

I wonder if anyone has a record of predicting DLC for MK8 Deluxe? I was with most in the camp that including all the paid DLC from Wii U plus the new stuff we got meant no free or paid DLC was on the horizon. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Excellent prediction. If there’s been one consistent story throughout the Switch era it has been the unrelenting sales of MK8DX. I knew it was an amazing game on WiiU and I’m glad it got the chance to reach so many people on the Switch.

I think we still have a few years to go. Spring 2026 is when I think we’ll see MK9/10 and I’m still holding out hope for a revolutionary Mario Kart experience. They need to bring something absolutely special with the next game and I’m sure they’re pouring massive resources into its production. Between this, a new Animal Crossing, and a new 3D Mario, Switch 2 should be able to keep up the momentum they’ve made with the Switch. It’s going to be so fun once the Switch 2 Directs start!

Great prediction, i even bet mario kart 9 wont be out in another 2 years in the meantime mk8 will still keep selling like hotcakes

Really cool to see a prediction like this come true. I wonder when they decided to not go with a new Mario Kart for switch. I think they probably went in expecting MK8 to do well, but not so well that they wouldn't need a new one.

I'm expecting a lot of new ideas in whatever comes next for the franchise considering they probably started the planning stages before the Switch even released.

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

Well I hope they will get some gran turismo and nfs dlc by then for mk8..

BiON!@