By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox Original BC!!!

Thoughts?

HOLY SHIT!!! 20 18.52%

Meh... 67 62.04%

HOLY SHIT 10.0!!! 21 19.44%

Total:108
RavenXtra said:
Super excited about this! Morrowind GOTY Edition please please pleaaaaaaaase!

Lol are you sure you want to pay the og Xbox version of morrowind? My ex roommate at college showed me morrowind on PC and that game is timeless on that platform(especially with the mods)

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
RavenXtra said:
Super excited about this! Morrowind GOTY Edition please please pleaaaaaaaase!

Lol are you sure you want to pay the og Xbox version of morrowind? My ex roommate at college showed me morrowind on PC and that game is timeless on that platform(especially with the mods)

I would, Xbox version was perfectly fine with all the DLC and and controller support. It was a great enough game on its own and I don't think it needs mods to be enjoyed. That said I already own the PC version, so if I feel like using mods I could always switch to that version.

RavenXtra said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I would, Xbox version was perfectly fine with all the DLC and and controller support. It was a great enough game on its own and I don't think it needs mods to be enjoyed. That said I already own the PC version, so if I feel like using mods I could always switch to that version.

That's revealing. Thanks for the note. ;)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
RavenXtra said:

That's revealing. Thanks for the note. ;)

Revealing my love of Morrowind, indeed

potato_hamster said:
I really don't understand why BC is apparently a big deal. Even the majority of Xbox One owners don't use the feature and those that do don't tend to use it very much. Now we're celebrating the ability to play games that are what? 12-14 years old?. Meh...

I just don't see why I'd give a damn. I mean, it would be nice if my PS4 played PS1 and PS2 games and emulated memory cards so I didn't have to keep my PS2 connected to a TV, but I'm not exactly upset that it doesn't. I think I'd use it a handful of times a year to play some old multiplayer game with my brother and that's about it.

Well the majority will not care about the crash collection still it is great to have. And I guess the PS2 games on PS4 do sales wise well they keep releasing them (even when it fecking slow X_X).

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
potato_hamster said:
I really don't understand why BC is apparently a big deal. Even the majority of Xbox One owners don't use the feature and those that do don't tend to use it very much. Now we're celebrating the ability to play games that are what? 12-14 years old?. Meh...

I just don't see why I'd give a damn. I mean, it would be nice if my PS4 played PS1 and PS2 games and emulated memory cards so I didn't have to keep my PS2 connected to a TV, but I'm not exactly upset that it doesn't. I think I'd use it a handful of times a year to play some old multiplayer game with my brother and that's about it.

Well the majority will not care about the crash collection still it is great to have. And I guess the PS2 games on PS4 do sales wise well they keep releasing them (even when it fecking slow X_X).

I mean sure, it's nice to have. I get what you're saying. There's no real downside to having it. But... Some people act like it's a major feature of a console, like it's absolutely crticial to have it. I just don't see it that way.

Kyuu said:
Pemalite said:

It is possible. But licensing.
The Xbox 360 could emulate 476 original Xbox games out of a total 1045 games. So it wasn't bad.
Although the emulation itself wasn't perfect, poor framerates and frame pacing were common... And even artifacts and bugs occured in some games.

Excuse my ignorance, but why or how were PS2, PS3, Wii and Wii U fully backwards compatible right off the bat? Did Nintendo and Sony have different licensing policies?

In the case of the PS2 and PS3, they had chips from the previous consoles.

But yes. Likely different licensing policies. Hopefully Microsoft rectifies that going forward as Backwards Compatability is a big selling point.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Since the original Xbox and the Xbox One share the same architecture, and and OS that's an evolution of the original Xbox' OS, BC is not really a technical achievement (Xbox 360 to Xbox One was quite a bit more difficult, but even then PowerPC to x86 binary translators already existed).

potato_hamster said:
konnichiwa said:

I mean sure, it's nice to have. I get what you're saying. There's no real downside to having it. But... Some people act like it's a major feature of a console, like it's absolutely crticial to have it. I just don't see it that way.

Well it is not critical but if PS4 had BC I would have bought some PS3 games for it. (and am not ashamed I bought +10 PS2 games on it).

Versus_Evil said:
MS won E3 with this, no way back for Sony now. Xbox has arguably the best AAA lineup of games (on a console) ever and is also my fav console ever.

Microsoft wins Gen8 by introducing Gen6 compatability!  You heard it here first folks!  Old games bring about victor in new console wars!