Forums - Gaming Discussion - Geoff Keighley: Scorpio to cost $499

Still getting day1 if true?

yes. 51 13.39%

no. 302 79.27%

maybe. 28 7.35%

Total:381
jason1637 said:
celador said:
if they have really gone to the effort of a designed leak for that purpose, that is a bit sad imo

It's genius.  Because of this leak that could be fake xbox e3 started trending.  It's good marketing. 

How is it good marketing? First bit of news people hear about the new xbox is negative, brilliant! 

Around the Network
betacon said:
jason1637 said:

It's genius.  Because of this leak that could be fake xbox e3 started trending.  It's good marketing. 

How is it good marketing? First bit of news people hear about the new xbox is negative, brilliant! 

Not negative though. Most people were expecting  $499. So microsoft fakes a leak and announces $399.

fake news
MS S will be $399

I think this is a bluff, they told that to Geoff and told him they had no problem with him revealing the info to later surprise everyone in the conference when they anounce its actually 399.

Or... in the "worst" case scenario it is 499 and they let the info be "leaked" so that when they reveal the price the people on the conference arent suddenly upset since they already knew.

Around the Network
Otter said:
Dgc1808 said:
If so then it's fucked. Sony can push the PS4Pro to $350 to kill all of Scorpio's buz.

IDK, both seem like niche purchases. If you're going to pay extra for a 4k machine, I don't put it past many tech enthusiasts going for the actual 4k machine. Regardless, with that price Microsoft knows they're pricing themselves out of mainstream competition but I'm not sure Pro is even competing there, do we know how much it sells weekly? 

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/06/05/sony-psvr-sales-top-1-million-20-of-ps4-sales-since-november-are-a-pro/

That's the best we have on PS4Pro sales. 1 in 5 PS4's sold are pro units. Which is pretty good.

4 ≈ One

LOL at the people who said it'll be $299.

Personally I thought $449, but $499 was not unexpected.

Hiku said:

estebxx said:
I think this is a bluff, they told that to Geoff and told him they had no problem with him revealing the info to later surprise everyone in the conference when they anounce its actually 399.

Or... in the "worst" case scenario it is 499 and they let the info be "leaked" so that when they reveal the price the people on the conference arent suddenly upset since they already knew.

And what did Microsoft pay Knightley in order for his credibility to take a massive hit for no apparent reason? It's not like his career is dependant on leaks.

With Doritos and Mountain Dews!, the man cant refuse them... its the reason he exists.

No but seriously im just trying to be positive, and i dont think hes reputation would be badly hurt if he lets people know later that he was given wrong information on purpose, that being said i did gave out another possibility which is the price being real and the reason why they let Geoff leak it before the conference.

Geoff has gone salvage today

Hiku said:

Well there would still be a credibility issue in the sense that whenever he announces something, he'd get tons of comments asking if "insert company" is paying him again to give false information.
You know how the gaming community is. This thing would blow up in his face and ppl won't forget for years.

Another posibility is that MS intentionally leaked fake info, knowing someone credible would leak it. But that would be a dick move, since it was only 5 hours away from the press conference.

Yeah i do agree with the credibility issue and how gamers wont forget, i mean just look at the Doritos and MT Dew meme thats still alive to this day (i swear i found tons of other "new" ones from where i got that one), that being said i think its kind of the latter case that you explained which may indeed be a dick move but it would help them impress people when they reveal a 399 price tag.

But again thats just me being positive for MS since honestly i have no intention of buying one.