By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The better system is...

Nintendo 64 606 48.71%

Playstation 1 638 51.29%

Total:1,244
curl-6 said:
brendude13 said:

Sharper but jaggier? Wat?

Also, what do you mean PS1 was jittery and N64 more stable? Most N64 games had horrendous framerate. Same with the N64 being blurrier, when most games ran at a higher resolution than the PS1. Are you sure you didn't just get your descriptions the wrong way round?

PS1 had no AA but N64 did, so PS1 looked sharp but jaggy, while the primitive AA of the 64 suppressed jaggies at the cost of blurring the image.

By jittery/stable I am referring to affine texturing (PS1) versus perspective correct texturing. (N64) On PS1 surface tended to warp/jitter in motion due to the limitations of affine texturing. The N64 on the other hand supported perspective correct texturing, so rendered objects appears more solid and stable.

Ahh okay, that makes sense.

Around the Network
Arminillo said:
VAMatt said:

360 controllers look like original XB controllers.  Those controllers are much closer to the PS controllers than anything that came before.  

But, yeah, I forgot about the analog stick and rumble from N64.  Those are important innovations.  The problem is, the controller is awkward. 

huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh? and no the 360 controller doesnt look like either of those...

The PSX controller introduced the extended handle-type grips, which have been employed in almost every controller since.  

I'll take back my statement about the 360 contoller looking like the XB controller.  It clearly does not.   I guess the real similarity that I'm remembering is the feel - the way a controller sits in your hands.  The current style of Nintendo Pro controllers, DS4, and XB1 controllers have all evolved from that PSX controller.

That XB controller is way uglier than I remember it.....

The only consoles in the history of gaming to ever come close to what the PS1 offered would be the PS2 and SNES. The PS1 introduced the concept of Artistic Expression in games. A magnificent blend of storytelling and technology that featured experiences that I still chase to this day.

Nothing beats sneaking into Shadow Moses for the first time. Nothing beats getting out of Midgar and seeing the vast world of FF7. Nothing beats RE. Nothing beats the feeling that Gaming as a Hobby should be taken seriously. The PS1 to me was the first console in the mainstream to introduce the idea that Gaming was cool to the masses.

The PS1 is the third most important console in History. with the NES (2) and PS2 (1) ahead of it.

Ill give the N64 the edge in multiplayer. The hours lost to Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Perfect Dark and Smash Bros still brings a smile to my face. And there was a time I thought DK64 was the greatest game of all time.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Lawlight said:
curl-6 said:

Not really. It's a matter of perspective; because you're a Sony fan and don't like Nintendo, you see the other side as more numerous. It's the same phenomenon that see left wingers claiming the right are taking over and right wingers claiming the left is taking over. Humans have a tendency to see their own viewpoint as normal, and so overlook those who agree but take notice of those who differ.

Only 1 way to find out.

Edit; On second thought, I can't be bothered posting a poll but there has been damning evidence of vgchartz's inclination towards Nintendo in the past. It's exactly like gamefaqs in that sense.

Also, how can you say that the left has not taken over when all major institutions are left leaning? 

I'd contend that all major institutions aren't left leaning. Here in Australia for example we have a right leaning government in power. Other right leaning/conservative organizations such as the church, One Nation, the ACL, and the Murdoch media empire wield considerable influence. Again I would say it is simply a matter of perspective and the human predisposition to see one's own position as neutral/normal; if you're far to the left it will seem like most of the world is right wing, and if you're far to the right it will seem like most of the world is left wing.

If VGC was so Nintendo-dominated, N64 would be winning the poll by a mile. Instead the two are very close, just as the ratio of Playstation and Nintendo fans on VGC is very close.

ShadowSoldier said:
The only consoles in the history of gaming to ever come close to what the PS1 offered would be the PS2 and SNES. The PS1 introduced the concept of Artistic Expression in games...

Are you really gonna do Chrono Trigger and Earthbound dirty like that and say they didnt have artistic expression? Just because PS1 RPGs were full of FMVs doesnt mean it introduced the concept of artistic expression.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Lawlight said:

Only 1 way to find out.

Edit; On second thought, I can't be bothered posting a poll but there has been damning evidence of vgchartz's inclination towards Nintendo in the past. It's exactly like gamefaqs in that sense.

Also, how can you say that the left has not taken over when all major institutions are left leaning? 

I'd contend that all major institutions aren't left leaning. Here in Australia for example we have a right leaning government in power. Other right leaning/conservative organizations such as the church, One Nation, the ACL, and the Murdoch media empire wield considerable influence. Again I would say it is simply a matter of perspective and the human predisposition to see one's own position as neutral/normal; if you're far to the left it will seem like most of the world is right wing, and if you're far to the right it will seem like most of the world is left wing.

If VGC was so Nintendo-dominated, N64 would be winning the poll by a mile. Instead the two are very close, just as the ratio of Playstation and Nintendo fans on VGC is very close.

Except the Prime Minister came out in support of SSM. The government funded media ABC and SBS lean heavily left. Does Murdoch even have any free-to-air channels?

And did you know that 51% of journos lean left vs 13% of them who lean right? https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/so-who-skews-news-bias-australian-media-revealed/1875830/

Councils are getting rid of Australia Day. Christmas carols are banned in Victoria. All outcomes of left-leaning people in power.

And you're talking about One Nation? They only have 4 seats in Senate vs 9 for the Greens + 1 in the house of representatives.

The university certainly lean left.

The Church does it have any power left? The % of Christians is decreasing every day and pastors are becoming increasingly liberal.

Lawlight said:
curl-6 said:

Except the Prime Minister came out in support of SSM. The government funded media ABC and SBS lean heavily left. Does Murdoch even have any free-to-air channels?

And did you know that 51% of journos lean left vs 13% of them who lean right? https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/so-who-skews-news-bias-australian-media-revealed/1875830/

Councils are getting rid of Australia Day. Christmas carols are banned in Victoria. All outcomes of left-leaning people in power.

And you're talking about One Nation? They only have 4 seats in Senate vs 9 for the Greens + 1 in the house of representatives.

The Church does it have any power left? The % of Christians is decreasing every day and pastors are becoming increasingly liberal.

This is really a discussion for another thread, as we have drifted far from N64 vs PS1.

Ultimately, the numbers speak for themselves; if the left ran the country we wouldn't the right-leaning LNP in power, and if VGC was dominated by Nintendo fans, this poll wouldn't be neck and neck.

curl-6 said:
Lawlight said:

This is really a discussion for another thread, as we have drifted far from N64 vs PS1.

Ultimately, the numbers speak for themselves; if the left ran the country we wouldn't the right-leaning LNP in power, and if VGC was dominated by Nintendo fans, this poll wouldn't be neck and neck.

The right (actually closer to the centre than right) only run the country because people were tired of labour's ineptitude. People always flock to one or the other after a couple of cycles. But that doesn't mean that the actual people in power aren't left leaning.

But on topic, theoretically, the ration of PS1 owners vs N64 owners would be 4:1. So, right off the bat, the vote should have been a landslide. Now, of those who owned both, I think it is fair to say that on average, the PS1 would be picked as the one with the better library. For the vote to be so close there must be an disproportionately high number of Nintendo fans. I think the few unbiased ones/fans of both or multiple votes tipped the scale in the PS1's favour.

But someday someone will post a topic asking to list their favourite systems and we'll know a more accurate number.

Lawlight said:
curl-6 said:

The right (actually closer to the centre than right) only run the country because people were tired of labour's ineptitude. People always flock to one or the other after a couple of cycles. But that doesn't mean that the actual people in power aren't left leaning.

But on topic, theoretically, the ration of PS1 owners vs N64 owners would be 4:1. So, right off the bat, the vote should have been a landslide. Now, of those who owned both, I think it is fair to say that on average, the PS1 would be picked as the one with the better library. For the vote to be so close there must be an disproportionately high number of Nintendo fans. I think the few unbiased ones/fans of both or multiple votes tipped the scale in the PS1's favour.

But someday someone will post a topic asking to list their favourite systems and we'll know a more accurate number.

When I was 16, Metallica was my favorite band of all time. When you ask me now which is my favorite band of all time, I'd reply differently. This may also apply for videogame consoles. And perhaps other people's tastes also change with the years. Shocker, right?

Lawlight said:
curl-6 said:

Your mistake there is correlating the general population with a website of gaming enthusiasts. VGC represents a hardcore niche, not the masses.
And again, you're still treating your own position as normal/neutral and failing to account for the fact that your own bias is skewing your perspective. A vote for PS1 is not any more objective or valid than a vote for N64, both are equally valid subjective opinions.