By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The better system is...

Nintendo 64 606 48.71%

Playstation 1 638 51.29%

Total:1,244

It's funny how a lot of these lists contain series that were on both consoles (ie: Wipeout and Ridge Racer, and Resident Evil).

Around the Network

Even in Japan, PS1 was console king.

Wait a minute! PS1 had better graphics? I guess I never really looked into it too much, but I've always been under the impression otherwise. My N64 games look much better than my PS1 games, with the exception of pre-rendered FMVs.

PS1 is the greatest console of all time IMO. It was the teething stages for 3D, but that created a lot of variety. The 3rd party support was incredible.

My top 10 games of all time list is at least half PS1 games.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
VGPolyglot said:

I think that the good-bad ratio is exaggerated.

Total games on each system

N64: 296

PS1: 2507

Can you come up with a list of 508 games on the PS1 that you would consider great? If not, then that means there are over 2000 shit games on the system.

Sure 50x is a gross overstatement, but still. The volume of shit games on the PS1 is insane compared to the N64.

The number of shit games is rather irrelevent. Sure, if you want to brag about how many more games a certain console had compared to another.

What's more important is the number of great games compared to that other console. 

There are definitely gems on both, but let's not fool ourselves here. The PS1 simply had way more great games than the N64.

The N64 might have had a better great to crap game ratio compared to the PS1. But I'd rather play 100 great games out of 2500, over 25 out of 300.

N64 for me.

I can understand the love of some for the PSX, but that's only because they never played Diddy Kong Racing!

Lmao this guy is so angry!

d21lewis said:
And now I know, whenever I want a thread with hundreds of posts, all I have to do is drag out the old console wars!

Dammit, my secret's out.

RaptorChrist said:
Wait a minute! PS1 had better graphics? I guess I never really looked into it too much, but I've always been under the impression otherwise. My N64 games look much better than my PS1 games, with the exception of pre-rendered FMVs.

N64 was the more graphically advanced of the two, supporting newer techniques like perspective correct texturing, anti-aliasing, and trilinear filtering.

It's restrictive texture cache and the storage limitations of cartridges though meant textures were often of lower quality.

Overall the two had very different "looks"; PS1 tended to be sharper but jaggier and more jittery, while N64 was smoother and more stable, but blurrier.

curl-6 said:
d21lewis said:
And now I know, whenever I want a thread with hundreds of posts, all I have to do is drag out the old console wars!

Dammit, my secret's out.

RaptorChrist said:

N64 was the more graphically advanced of the two, supporting newer techniques like perspective correct texturing, anti-aliasing, and trilinear filtering.

It's restrictive texture cache and the storage limitations of cartridges though meant textures were often of lower quality.

Overall the two had very different "looks"; PS1 tended to be sharper but jaggier and more jittery, while N64 was smoother and more stable, but blurrier.

Sharper but jaggier? Wat?

Also, what do you mean PS1 was jittery and N64 more stable? Most N64 games had horrendous framerate. Same with the N64 being blurrier, when most games ran at a higher resolution than the PS1. Are you sure you didn't just get your descriptions the wrong way round?