By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The better system is...

Nintendo 64 606 48.71%

Playstation 1 638 51.29%

Total:1,244
VGPolyglot said:
Chrizum said:

I don't see how attach rates have anything to do with that... PS1 had a tremendously varied library compared to N64. Its games were also much, much cheaper.

You said that the PS1 was a casual machine, however if people bought more games on average for it, even considering all of the casual people would wouldn't bu that many games, wouldn't it dispell that notion?

Not really. Like I said, PS1 games were much cheaper (up to two times as cheap in many cases) and there were just more games. PS1 also had a much longer lifespan. N64 was more of an enthusiast machine, PS1 was the cool system to have (almost every household I knew had one sooner or later).

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
VGPolyglot said:

You said that the PS1 was a casual machine, however if people bought more games on average for it, even considering all of the casual people would wouldn't bu that many games, wouldn't it dispell that notion?

Not really. Like I said, PS1 games were much cheaper (up to two times as cheap in many cases) and there were just more games. PS1 also had a much longer lifespan. N64 was more of an enthusiast machine, PS1 was the cool system to have (almost every household I knew had one sooner or later).

That's interesting, because I thought the stereotype at the time was that the N64 was for kids, while the PS1 was the console for mature gamers?

VGPolyglot said:
Chrizum said:

The PS1 was a casual machine just like the Wii was. Dedicated gamers loved both consoles.

Didn't the PS1 have a higher attach ratio though? If that's true, then your statement doesn't make as much sense.

The console that is winning ends up with a ton of junk. For instance, my parents once purchased me family fued for christmas. Was like 4 other junk games too, but dno't recal names. They had a Wii, and they owned like 10 workout games, a bunch of dancing and music games

But there is a ton of shit purchased by causals, such as spongebob games.

VGPolyglot said:
Chrizum said:

That's interesting, because I thought the stereotype at the time was that the N64 was for kids, while the PS1 was the console for mature gamers?

Stereotype that many kids woudl know about and thus as all kids do, they want to be mature.

It's just like many mature shooters these days are filled with kids on voicechat and their pubescent voices screeching.

irstupid said:
VGPolyglot said:

Didn't the PS1 have a higher attach ratio though? If that's true, then your statement doesn't make as much sense.

The console that is winning ends up with a ton of junk. For instance, my parents once purchased me family fued for christmas. Was like 4 other junk games too, but dno't recal names. They had a Wii, and they owned like 10 workout games, a bunch of dancing and music games

It's not like the N64 didn't have junk either. Superman 64, Carmageddon 64, Daikatana, etc. The N64 also had a lot of sports games.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
irstupid said:

It's not like the N64 didn't have junk either. Superman 64, Carmageddon 64, Daikatana, etc. The N64 also had a lot of sports games.

This thread is full of lists. Just as the list of PS1 games that are good is 5x longer than N64, the list of bad games on the PS1 compared ot N64 is 50x longer.

irstupid said:
VGPolyglot said:

This thread is full of lists. Just as the list of PS1 games that are good is 5x longer than N64, the list of bad games on the PS1 compared ot N64 is 50x longer.

I think that the good-bad ratio is exaggerated.

VGPolyglot said:
irstupid said:

Total games on each system

N64: 296

PS1: 2507

Can you come up with a list of 508 games on the PS1 that you would consider great? If not, then that means there are over 2000 shit games on the system.

Sure 50x is a gross overstatement, but still. The volume of shit games on the PS1 is insane compared to the N64.

irstupid said:
VGPolyglot said:

Can you come up with a list of 508 games on the PS1 that you would consider great? If not, then that means there are over 2000 shit games on the system.

Sure 50x is a gross overstatement, but still. The volume of shit games on the PS1 is insane compared to the N64.

Oh, so a game is either great or shit? There's nothing in between?

VGPolyglot said:
irstupid said:

Oh, so a game is either great or shit? There's nothing in between?

Great in this scenerio is a game you would consider worth playing.

But nice deflection.

Give yourself a list of games you woudl tell your 1998 self to play on the PS1 and N64. The games can be metactritic 10's or 1's, it don't matter. Games that you found fun. I'm guessing you can't even come close to 508 games. Thus my points still remeains. That would be over 2000 games that are pure shit on the PS1.