By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBOX be poppin son.

Ruler said:
Snoopy said:

Phil just announce an over 90 minute e3 confrence, with the most powerful console and big games like Crackdown 3, Forza 7, State of Decay 2 and more. All I can say is Xbox be poppin son.

If thats all what you care about why not go and build a PC? You allready can have it without waiting for november

I hate PC gaming to be quite honest. There is multiple reasons why, but my biggest reason is all the damn hackers I've encountered.

Around the Network

Xbox be poppin bandz

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Landguy said:

But, if you are like MOST console owners and a majority of your time is spent on multi-plats, then get a Scorpio

I wanted to address this general sentiment on this thread, that, since multiplatform will presumably run better on Scorpio most console buyers and mainstream audiences will switch to it.
I'll try to be less snarky than my previous posts, because this has very little to do with what I don't personally like about XBox's direction as a brand.
This is also not a response to Landguy's comment specifically, he just happened to encapsulate quite well.

First of all, let's get this out of the way: if you are excited about the Scorpio? Great! I'm sure if you liked XBox until now that a better version of it will undoubtely be really cool. I mean, even if updates are in line with the Pro's (and MS will probably push for more) this should be pretty good. I don't see the appeal but, who cares? Have fun.

What I wanted to address was that better running multiplatforms would immeadiately translate into better sales with the gaming market at large.
It's true that having better running multiplatform titles clearly benefited the PS4 and the XBox 360 at the start of their generations.
It's also true that multiplatform clearly appeal to a mainstream gaming audience than exclusives do.

Here's the thing though: the Scorpio is not selling to a mainstream audience.
By Microsoft own admission they are targeting the core gaming market with an elite product. 
We are talking people with a 4K screen (an admittedly growing niche), presumably an already large gaming catalog, enough disposable income to afford a premium system and looking to upgrade as early as they can.
These people are not the mainstream. They are people that are invested in the gaming market, people that actually would care about exclusives.
They probably already own a system based on their willingness to be early adopters of a mid-gen refresh even when cheaper options are available.

Positive buzz for hardware obviously exists. The PS4 and XBox 360 widely benefited from this during their first few years, but what sells consoles over a long period of time is primarly availability of few, widely marketed titles (think CoD, AC, Fifa, GTA) and what their friends play on.  
It's why the Wii U, lacking CoD, Fifa etc., could never appeal to a mainstream audience, while the Wii could. 
It's why, even though the PS3 started selling better later in the last gen, they still couldn't flip the US and the UK, where the XBox brand was stronger.

What we'll see, as has been the case for the Pro and the base PS4, is the base hardware (in this case the S) still be the driving force behind hardware sales, while premium hardware will be more profitable per capita from a software and service spending standpoint.

Which really, shouldn't affect your enjoyment of it, it's still going to get support from MS and you're still going to get more games (I wasn't as lucky with the Vita, *sigh).
However, you shouldn't expect it to be a hit with mainstream audiences specifically, since they tend to buy consoles for different reasons than you do.

Snoopy said:
Radek said:

Sure it's poppin, hardware wise, but my opinion is the same as writer's of this article.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-08-xbox-is-close-to-being-a-brilliant-games-platform-but-it-needs-games-to-get-it-there

Games you mentioned are not enough.

Microsoft will have around 5 AAA exclusive games this year which is more than good enough and considering the most played games and bought games are multiplatform titles.

The problem for MS is that multiplatform games now sell like 3:1 on the ps4. Microsoft really needs to bring it with fresh new IP's that look at least as interesting as the stuff Sony will be dropping. Will be tough, to be honest, but who knows what they got cooking. However, if they put all their eggs in the $599 Scorpio basket then they are pretty much screwed.  Personally, the only thing that would peak my interest is if they make some huge VR announcements for Scorpio.

Tulipanzo said:
Landguy said:

But, if you are like MOST console owners and a majority of your time is spent on multi-plats, then get a Scorpio

I wanted to address this general sentiment on this thread, that, since multiplatform will presumably run better on Scorpio most console buyers and mainstream audiences will switch to it.
I'll try to be less snarky than my previous posts, because this has very little to do with what I don't personally like about XBox's direction as a brand.
This is also not a response to Landguy's comment specifically, he just happened to encapsulate quite well.

First of all, let's get this out of the way: if you are excited about the Scorpio? Great! I'm sure if you liked XBox until now that a better version of it will undoubtely be really cool. I mean, even if updates are in line with the Pro's (and MS will probably push for more) this should be pretty good. I don't see the appeal but, who cares? Have fun.

What I wanted to address was that better running multiplatforms would immeadiately translate into better sales with the gaming market at large.
It's true that having better running multiplatform titles clearly benefited the PS4 and the XBox 360 at the start of their generations.
It's also true that multiplatform clearly appeal to a mainstream gaming audience than exclusives do.

By Microsoft own admission they are targeting the core gaming market with an elite product. 
We are talking people with a 4K screen (an admittedly growing niche), presumably an already large gaming catalog, enough disposable income to afford a premium system and looking to upgrade as early as they can.
These people are not the mainstream. They are people that are invested in the gaming market, people that actually would care about exclusives.
They probably already own a system based on their willingness to be early adopters of a mid-gen refresh even when cheaper options are available.

Positive buzz for hardware obviously exists. The PS4 and XBox 360 widely benefited from this during their first few years, but what sells consoles over a long period of time is primarly availability of few, widely marketed titles (think CoD, AC, Fifa, GTA) and what their friends play on.  
It's why the Wii U, lacking CoD, Fifa etc., could never appeal to a mainstream audience, while the Wii could. 
It's why, even though the PS3 started selling better later in the last gen, they still couldn't flip the US and the UK, where the XBox brand was stronger.

What we'll see, as has been the case for the Pro and the base PS4, is the base hardware (in this case the S) still be the driving force behind hardware sales, while premium hardware will be more profitable per capita from a software and service spending standpoint.

Which really, shouldn't affect your enjoyment of it, it's still going to get support from MS and you're still going to get more games (I wasn't as lucky with the Vita, *sigh).
However, you shouldn't expect it to be a hit with mainstream audiences specifically, since they tend to buy consoles for different reasons than you do.

I agree with some of your points, but there is some fault in it.  

IF the Scorpio comes out at $399, that is not that premium of price in 2017.  The PS4 sold 30+ million consoles at that price or more.  Those aren't just "early adopters".  Also, $399 in 2017 really is like $300 back in 2006.  So, the common theory of needing to hit $250 or less for mainstream has changed.  People are paying $700+ for cellphones EVERY YEAR. 

I do agree that MS has an uphill battle for the common theory of "my friend has it, so I will get that too".  But, we live in "buzzworthy" society.  The PS4 is now 4 years old and becoming really old news.  Whether it make financial sense or not, people like to move on to the newer shinier thing.  MS can only hope that their new Scorpio is shiny enough to take attention away from the still has some shine PS4/PS4pro...

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network
Tulipanzo said:
Landguy said:

IF the Scorpio comes out at $399, that is not that premium of price in 2017.  The PS4 sold 30+ million consoles at that price or more.  Those aren't just "early adopters".  Also, $399 in 2017 really is like $300 back in 2006.  So, the common theory of needing to hit $250 or less for mainstream has changed.  People are paying $700+ for cellphones EVERY YEAR. 

I do agree that MS has an uphill battle for the common theory of "my friend has it, so I will get that too".  But, we live in "buzzworthy" society.  The PS4 is now 4 years old and becoming really old news.  Whether it make financial sense or not, people like to move on to the newer shinier thing.  MS can only hope that their new Scorpio is shiny enough to take attention away from the still has some shine PS4/PS4pro...

It is near the end of the end....

Landguy said:

You know, there is a reason why I never mentioned price, and it's because at this point it would be nothing but speculation.
While a lower price would undoubtedly benefit ANY system, I made my point on the basis of it being a "premium product" the way Microsoft have marketed it to this point. 
Even at a $400 price point, it would still cost significantly more than its 1080p counterpart, meaning my point about 4K and cheaper harsdware still stands.

I can't see the future, but neither can you. Trying to disagree on the basis of an assumption you made isn't really much of a comeback. 

As a quick sidenote: the "people buy phones" argument is quite dim. The fact is that people have different priorities.
The fact I could buy, say, a car, doesn't mean I could have just spent all that money on games, because I NEED a car. The same holds true for phones, kitchen appliances, furniture, books, uni fees etc.
Plus, people buying a new phone every year aren't the mainstream of the phone industry. This is ignoring the fact that it doesn't operate on the same principles as the gaming industry.

Finally, the buzzworthy society point is, well, a bit weak.
"People be buying the new shiny thing" doesn't really apply to a mainstream audience. Especially if it doesn't make financial sense.
I honestly have no idea what you would consider to be a mainstream audience, since in your opinion they are just people spending inordinate amounts of cash that they may or may not have on anything that is new.  This in spite of owning a given console already, owning games on said console or your friends playing there. Oh, but the shine fades... 
This even applies to the base XBox One, whose existence you seem intent on ignoring!

tl;dr: I think that a "premium product" for "premium consumers" isn't being marketed to a mainstream audience.

Snoopy said:
TallSilhouette said:

Why's that? It's already been shown multiple times and hasn't exactly set the world on fire. Please don't say because of Scorpio...

Because Jez and Rand al thor has insider information that this game was made to be the Scorpio killer App and it plays amazing.

Was it the Scorpio killer app for you?