By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Myth: Nintendo needs to have big surprises at E3 or they're doomed

fleischr said:
Agreed.

Nintendo can spin up massive hype practically anytime they really need to. In fact it's proving useful for them to pace that effort throughout the year rather than put all their eggs in the E3 basket where they can easily be upshown already by the collective of Sony, MS, and even 3rd parties.

If all they do is an extensive look at a fantastic game like Mario Odyssey or Xenoblade 2 similar to BotW - I'm satisfied. Everything else is gravy.

Exactly. The Switch is the hot item right now. No one can deny that. They don't even need an E3 to keep it selling. People want it.

What good would showcasing a ton of 2018 games, or hyping new unanoucned games do? It would just get more people to want the system, right? But they don't need that right now. They can't keep up with demand as is. So might as well just stick to hyping up their soon to release games so that they sell well.

They can whenever they want drop a Nintendo Direct and reveal some new games to build up hype. There is no need tolay all your eggs as you said at E3. E3 has so many games and new reveals and trailers that it becomes more of just a cool event to watch versus actually mattering who "win E3"

The switch is hot. Based on prior years, their poken tournament, arms tournment adn splatoon tournamnet will draw huge viewers online. And all three of those games come out in consequetively each month. They will have no trouble selling systems through today and the holiday. Drop a Direct in Nov something to showcase some Q1 games, and another direct in Jan for the rest of 2018 and that shoudl keep the momentum going after the holidays.

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

So why do you than think Nintendo dont talk about 2018. games yet, why do you think in January event they announce only games that will be released this year, why they choose focus on 2017. games on E3, why they announced Pokken Tournament only 3 months before launch and they wil do same thing for Mario Rabbids!? All that is evidence that they want to have much less time between announcement and launch, its so obvious and clear.

Again, Nintendo always in some degree done that (for instance SM3DW is announced and launched in same year, they done that with last few Pokemons), but Sony and MS never hadn't done that. They decided to go with that plan fully because now they will have steady flow of good and strong games without droughts, but for instance if Switch sold bad until now probably Nintendo would show on E3 more 2018. than they will know when they can't keep up with demand.

"Why do companies not follow this route aswell?" Because Sony and MS operating different compared to Nintendo, that's clear like day. Why Nintendo announced games just few months before launch, why Nintendo has Nintendo Directs, why Nintendo has Digital Event on E3 instead live conference, why Nintendo showed Switch just 5 months before launch and had Switch conference only 2 months before launch, why Nintendo released hybrid...because they have different approach and they managing things different compared to Sony and MS. Is really so hard to accept that, that Nintendo is not Sony and that they are quite different!?

I don't ignoring anything, Wii, DS and 3DS sold great beauce what they are and beasuse strong 1st party games, same will be for Switch, and actual current sales are telling us exactly that. Fact is that 3DS sold less than DS and GBA is normal because in DS and GBA age we didn't had smartphone/tablet gaming that eat big part of handheld gaming, and actually 3DS sales are huge success because 3DS was waiting aging incredible popular smartphone/tablet gaming.

When we talk about Nintendo hardware, 1st party games are always easily bigest reason why people are buying Nintendo hardware compared to Sony or MS consoles, even current Switch sales proves that.

Yes Bomberman, but Indies haw solid sales if we look best selling Switch eShop games.

At end, you need to accept that Nintendo is not Sony, that they are manging most of things totally differently, they have different approaches and goals.

I don't know why they are not revealing more of their E3 plans and i never said it was because of this or that reason. I raised questions: is it because their strategy is wrongly planned; is it because they don't have a good 2018 and the best option was, like in recent history, focus on what you have and not on what you don't have?

I don't have an answer.
I may have reasons (recent past and no talk about 2018) to fear that the anwser is not what i want to hear.
What i won't do is close my eyes to the REASONS WHY they changed their strategy and not simply say they are different because they are different.

I mentioned SOny and MS, but i could have mentioned a ton of studios that go to E3 and act the same way.
NDs and Digital Events never stopped Nintendo from revealing stuff like they used to. You can't use that as an excuse. Nor can you bring a few games that change nothing.
I'm not talking about the type of HW or reveal > release timeframe. That's not what we are talking about, and being different in a certain aspect (or more) doesn't automatically say they are different in everything.

I wouldn't be so hasty in saying Switch will follow Wii's success.
3DS was also, for quite some time, ahead of DS and look at the difference now.
Your use of DS and Wii as examples of "we don't need heavyweights" is a bad example, because is something that can't be said today (only during that time).
And now, like before DS and Wii, you need it.
Thing is, when Nintendo stopped having those heavyweights, was the day they started losing marketshare.

I don't want Nintendo to be like everyone else, but there are reasons why they act differently. And it's those same reasons that i question.

And truth is, a lot of studios (if not all) reveal - like Nintendo did until it couldn't anymore - what's coming and what's to come.
The idea that Nintendo just decided, one day, out of the blue, that they were going to act differently, is something that makes me question why (answer: that coincidence!).

I read all your prior posts and you talk alot about "no games in 2018 or future" and it being all PR talk basically that they only talk about today. You bring up how in the past they used to talk about the future. ECT.

Well here are my two cents.

1. In the past. In the past they also had big live conferences. They also no longer do that. They have differentiated how they Market and release themselves and their games from Sony/Microsoft in basically all ways. Being secretive is nothign new for Nintendo.

2. What is teh point of announcing 2018 games now? The hype and demand for a switch is through the roof right now. Why further hype something that is 'sold out' They can showcase 2018 and future games whenever they want to draw new hype and excitement to teh system, no need to have it get lost in the E3 noise. Hell look at teh Pokemon direct. It shut down a half dozen gaming sites on the internet after it aired. Nintendo had that day solely to themselves. No sharing with MS/Sony and the dozens of other 3rd party developers that E3 has. Same with any other Nintendo direct other parts of the year. They get that day to themselves. Everyone in the gaming community is tuning solely into them, and afterwards has only them to talk about.

Nintendo does not need to showcase 2018 games to get people excited about the Switch. They know just from existing numbers how popular the system is. Many people are holding off as well for Mario Odyssey to be launched, XC2, as well as Splatoon 2 (for some of my friends). Really all announcing 2018 games will do is get gamers that like to list all the games coming to the console some vindication. They will likely showcase 2018 games in a digital event later this year sometime around fall.

Nintendo also does things a little differently where E3 isn't their main stage for showing off new games, etc. Sony and Microsoft on the other hand use E3 to show off the newest games, systems, etc. While Nintendo uses it as one of many avenues throughout the year as a result of their digital events. As was seen with the Nintendo Switch which could have been shown off at E3 last year even with a small tease but wasn't and instead was shown off in a reveal trailer that has been seen millions of times.

They just need to announce one big game for 2018. A surprise like Metroid would be nice though.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

So why do you than think Nintendo dont talk about 2018. games yet, why do you think in January event they announce only games that will be released this year, why they choose focus on 2017. games on E3, why they announced Pokken Tournament only 3 months before launch and they wil do same thing for Mario Rabbids!? All that is evidence that they want to have much less time between announcement and launch, its so obvious and clear.

Again, Nintendo always in some degree done that (for instance SM3DW is announced and launched in same year, they done that with last few Pokemons), but Sony and MS never hadn't done that. They decided to go with that plan fully because now they will have steady flow of good and strong games without droughts, but for instance if Switch sold bad until now probably Nintendo would show on E3 more 2018. than they will know when they can't keep up with demand.

"Why do companies not follow this route aswell?" Because Sony and MS operating different compared to Nintendo, that's clear like day. Why Nintendo announced games just few months before launch, why Nintendo has Nintendo Directs, why Nintendo has Digital Event on E3 instead live conference, why Nintendo showed Switch just 5 months before launch and had Switch conference only 2 months before launch, why Nintendo released hybrid...because they have different approach and they managing things different compared to Sony and MS. Is really so hard to accept that, that Nintendo is not Sony and that they are quite different!?

I don't ignoring anything, Wii, DS and 3DS sold great beauce what they are and beasuse strong 1st party games, same will be for Switch, and actual current sales are telling us exactly that. Fact is that 3DS sold less than DS and GBA is normal because in DS and GBA age we didn't had smartphone/tablet gaming that eat big part of handheld gaming, and actually 3DS sales are huge success because 3DS was waiting aging incredible popular smartphone/tablet gaming.

When we talk about Nintendo hardware, 1st party games are always easily bigest reason why people are buying Nintendo hardware compared to Sony or MS consoles, even current Switch sales proves that.

Yes Bomberman, but Indies haw solid sales if we look best selling Switch eShop games.

At end, you need to accept that Nintendo is not Sony, that they are manging most of things totally differently, they have different approaches and goals.

I don't know why they are not revealing more of their E3 plans and i never said it was because of this or that reason. I raised questions: is it because their strategy is wrongly planned; is it because they don't have a good 2018 and the best option was, like in recent history, focus on what you have and not on what you don't have?

I don't have an answer.
I may have reasons (recent past and no talk about 2018) to fear that the anwser is not what i want to hear.
What i won't do is close my eyes to the REASONS WHY they changed their strategy and not simply say they are different because they are different.

I mentioned SOny and MS, but i could have mentioned a ton of studios that go to E3 and act the same way.
NDs and Digital Events never stopped Nintendo from revealing stuff like they used to. You can't use that as an excuse. Nor can you bring a few games that change nothing.
I'm not talking about the type of HW or reveal > release timeframe. That's not what we are talking about, and being different in a certain aspect (or more) doesn't automatically say they are different in everything.

Your use of DS and Wii as examples of "we don't need heavyweights" is a bad example, because is something that can't be said today (only during that time).
Thing is, when Nintendo stopped having those heavyweights, was the day they started losing marketshare.

I don't want Nintendo to be like everyone else, but there are reasons why they act differently. And it's those same reasons that i question.

And truth is, a lot of studios (if not all) reveal - like Nintendo did until it couldn't anymore - what's coming and what's to come.
The idea that Nintendo just decided, one day, out of the blue, that they were going to act differently, is something that makes me question why (answer: that coincidence!).

So you refuse to believe that they want to have much less time between announcement and launch, with so clear examples and so evidence, that is so obvious and clear!? Thats some strong denying.

Point is that Nintendo operating different, not just compared to Sony and MS, but compare to most of 3rd parties also. I gave you clear examples how much different Nintendo is operating and how much different approach they have. Hole my point still stands.

I never said that Switch will be success same like Wii, I mention Wii just like one of examples of Nintendo success without "heavyweights". Actually 3DS didn't had good start, thats why Nintendo gave 3DS big price cut very fast. Not true, that could be said even today, 3DS will end up around 75m in smartphone era without "heavyweights", and now Nintendo can't keep up with Switch demand again without "heavyweights" 3rd parties. Again, you need to realise that Nintendo games are what selling Nintendo hardware not 3rd party games like MS or Sony consoles. Wii and DS were losing market share!? :D

Nintendo acting different from GC faile and it paid them of big time, only Wii U was failure and after DS, Wii and 3DS, currently all pointing that Switch will be also success.

Again, Nintendo always in some degree done that (for instance SM3DW is announced and launched in same year, they done that with last few Pokemons), but Sony and MS never hadn't done that. They decided to go with that plan fully because now they will have steady flow of good and strong games without droughts, but for instance if Switch sold bad until now probably Nintendo would show on E3 more 2018. than they will know when they can't keep up with demand. Why are doing that!? Because they want to be more focused and to promote much more games that will people be able to buy in near future, not to talk about games that will not be in sale in 2-3 years, and with Switch we see that strategie works.

irstupid said:
DélioPT said:

I don't have an answer.

I read all your prior posts and you talk alot about "no games in 2018 or future" and it being all PR talk basically that they only talk about today. You bring up how in the past they used to talk about the future. ECT.

1. In the past. In the past they also had big live conferences. They also no longer do that. They have differentiated how they Market and release themselves and their games from Sony/Microsoft in basically all ways. Being secretive is nothign new for Nintendo.

2. What is teh point of announcing 2018 games now? The hype and demand for a switch is through the roof right now. Why further hype something that is 'sold out' They can showcase 2018 and future games whenever they want to draw new hype and excitement to teh system, no need to have it get lost in the E3 noise. Hell look at teh Pokemon direct. It shut down a half dozen gaming sites on the internet after it aired. Nintendo had that day solely to themselves. No sharing with MS/Sony and the dozens of other 3rd party developers that E3 has. Same with any other Nintendo direct other parts of the year. They get that day to themselves. Everyone in the gaming community is tuning solely into them, and afterwards has only them to talk about.

Totally agree, all it's very clear and obvious with clear examples and facts, but for some reason he refuse to see that.

Around the Network
irstupid said:

I think you may have misread what i wrote and what i "implied".
I never said 2018 is doomed and that there won't be games for Switch in 2018.

All that i have been trying to say is that i don't believe the "we only reveal games closer to launch, now". Specially when that change came during a time where they really had nothing to show.
And to me, that was PR spin, damage control, whatever you want to call it.

Going from press conference to digital event was, in my view, more of a necessity than anything else.
Can you imagine their conferences lasting less then 45 minutes and having only Nintendo games?
The digital route also ended up being great for them: 2014 showed that, 2015 aswell.

Basically, even they changed how they "appear" at E3, the way they revealed their line-up didn't really change until E3 2016 (E3 2016 was for Zelda and Paper Mario: CS. That was it.)
Also, at E3 2015, when they had no games besides Mario Tennis, they couldn't actually show them, right?

What's the point of hyping 2018?
Why do you think companies like Sony and MS do it? Specially Sony, who dominates the market. It's in the bag for them, so why the extra mile?
Because that's what winning companies do: they sell you the present and the future to have a hold on you and not another company; to create this image that they are better than anyone else, etc., etc..
Nintendo, despite it's great start with Switch, has to show that they are up there with the other companies.

You can change your ways and do things the way no one does, but when you confront them with other companies, they will pale in comparison. And that isn't the image that companies want to pass to consumers.

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

So you refuse to believe that they want to have much less time between announcement and launch, with so clear examples and so evidence, that is so obvious and clear!? Thats some strong denying.

Point is that Nintendo operating different, not just compared to Sony and MS, but compare to most of 3rd parties also. I gave you clear examples how much different Nintendo is operating and how much different approach they have. Hole my point still stands.

I never said that Switch will be success same like Wii, I mention Wii just like one of examples of Nintendo success without "heavyweights". Actually 3DS didn't had good start, thats why Nintendo gave 3DS big price cut very fast. Not true, that could be said even today, 3DS will end up around 75m in smartphone era without "heavyweights", and now Nintendo can't keep up with Switch demand again without "heavyweights" 3rd parties. Again, you need to realise that Nintendo games are what selling Nintendo hardware not 3rd party games like MS or Sony consoles. Wii and DS were losing market share!? :D

Nintendo acting different from GC faile and it paid them of big time, only Wii U was failure and after DS, Wii and 3DS, currently all pointing that Switch will be also success.

Again, Nintendo always in some degree done that (for instance SM3DW is announced and launched in same year, they done that with last few Pokemons), but Sony and MS never hadn't done that. They decided to go with that plan fully because now they will have steady flow of good and strong games without droughts, but for instance if Switch sold bad until now probably Nintendo would show on E3 more 2018. than they will know when they can't keep up with demand. Why are doing that!? Because they want to be more focused and to promote much more games that will people be able to buy in near future, not to talk about games that will not be in sale in 2-3 years, and with Switch we see that strategie works.

Yes, i refuse to use exceptions as rule, to determine if their talk is PR speech or not... specially when they are exceptions!

And i told you that using Wii and DS as examples for your point was the best example.
Again, Wii and DS were exceptions and not the rule.
Yes, Nintendo did lose marketshare without the heavyweights. If you exclude the Wii exception you'll easily see that.
And seeing that Nintendo went back to it's usual market, heavyweights are needed.

GBA sold 80 million in about 3-4 years.
3DS hasn't reached that number and when it does it will have needed twice the time. Twice.

I don't know why you keep insisting in this 2-3 years.
And exactly why showing games for 2018 stops them from focusing on 2017 games during E3 and the rest of the year? One thing doesn't exclude the other as you imply.

I checked Sony's last E3 presentation and guess what, they had 9 games that were coming out last year or this year and 5 for... let's say 2018 (not out of the question if one or more releases this year).
I also checked their first E3 presentation and this is the result (X = Indies):
13 - 11111X
14 - 1111111XXXXX
15 - 11X
16 - 1X
Unknown: 1

I don't see Sony announcing things as you say (2-3 years instead of close to release).

They're doomed if most of the third party games announced by Bethesda/Ubi/Square/Capcom etc are not coming to the Switch. That would negatively establish the Switch as a Nintendo, JRPG and indie machine. I mean, I wouldn't want to buy a $300 console just to play those games :/

Nintendo could live with just Mario Odyssey if third parties come to the system. it's damn important

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, i refuse to use exceptions as rule, to determine if their talk is PR speech or not... specially when they are exceptions!

And i told you that using Wii and DS as examples for your point was the best example.
Again, Wii and DS were exceptions and not the rule.
Yes, Nintendo did lose marketshare without the heavyweights. If you exclude the Wii exception you'll easily see that.
And seeing that Nintendo went back to it's usual market, heavyweights are needed.

GBA sold 80 million in about 3-4 years.
3DS hasn't reached that number and when it does it will have needed twice the time. Twice.

I don't know why you keep insisting in this 2-3 years.
And exactly why showing games for 2018 stops them from focusing on 2017 games during E3 and the rest of the year? One thing doesn't exclude the other as you imply.

I checked Sony's last E3 presentation and guess what, they had 9 games that were coming out last year or this year and 5 for... let's say 2018 (not out of the question if one or more releases this year).
I also checked their first E3 presentation and this is the result (X = Indies):
13 - 11111X
14 - 1111111XXXXX
15 - 11X
16 - 1X
Unknown: 1

I don't see Sony announcing things as you say (2-3 years instead of close to release).

It's not rule, its approach. You cant say its exception when they were doing something similar before and with Switch they are doing all the way that approach. Like I wrote, we have so clear examples and so much evidences, that is so obvious and clear.

But again you fail to see that Switch is similar like Wii, DS or 3DS. Switch again offers something different and different experience compared to PS/MS consoles followed by huge Nintendo system sellers. No, Nintendo didn't lose market share, there is no reason to not include Wii and DS, they are regular Nintendo consoles. Again 3DS and now Switch proves you that Nintendo doesn't need 3rd parties heavyweights. Like I wrote, you have some strong denying.

I already wrote you for 3DS, 3DS is first handheld that fought for market share with incredibly popular smartphone gaming, of course that 3DS will sell less than previous handheld when smartphone gaming before wasn't thing, and at end 3DS will sell just litle less than GBA that didnt exist in smartphone era. You again deny that fact.

2-3 years is usual amount of time for MS, Sony and good number 3rd parties if we talk about time between announcement and launch. We already talk about that before, they want to be focused on games that will be released in near future, I dont understand why is that so hard for you to understand that.

Give me one example, what exatly Sony or MS game was announced and in relased in less than year in recent times. All currently announced games like new GoW, Days Gone, Gran Turismo Sport, TLoU2...even exclusives like Spiderman or FF7R, are announced at last E3 (FF7R was announced 2 years ago) and they still don't have no one release date.

I really don't see point of continue arguing with you when you keep ignoring or keep denying some clear facts (you doing same thing in your other replies to other people in this thread), so I want repy you any more.

NightlyPoe said:
DélioPT said:

So, you believe that keeping your costumers in the dark is a good idea?
You also believe that the best way to gain new customers is also keeping them in the dark and not hyping their consoles or making people confident that, this time, they can buy a Nintendo console without second-thoughts?
I sincerely disagree.
Not only me, but if not everyone, pretty much everyone operates in a simple way: show what you have for this year and the next.

Either Nintendo struck gold in marketing strategy (software reveal planning) and nobody realised that or they are just way wrong.

I could speculate, but it would be just that, speculation.

So, you believe that keeping your costumers in the dark is a good idea?

If your goal is to keep the customers focused on the product that is your current marketing priority, sure.  Nintendo's priority right now is marketing and selling Arms, Splatoon, Pokken Tournament, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, and that Mario/Rabbids game.

If that's your priority, then keeping the spotlight there just makes sense.

You also believe that the best way to gain new customers is also keeping them in the dark and not hyping their consoles or making people confident that, this time, they can buy a Nintendo console without second-thoughts?

I think that hyping the console with what is there and not what is a promise has its merits as a marketing strategy.  Promising games a year in advance sometimes just makes people wish for what they don't have instead of being hyped for what is in front of them.

You also need to keep in mind that Nintendo is publishing these games themselves.  So they are doubly invested in making sure their current and imminent products are what customers are yearning for.

Not only me, but if not everyone, pretty much everyone operates in a simple way: show what you have for this year and the next.

Just because everyone does something, doesn't mean it's the only way to do it.  Before last year, it was assumed that the only way to run for president was to build a portfolio of donors, endorsements, policy positions, and a team of professionals.  And look how that turned out for everyone who followed that model.

Again, Nintendo's going its own way.  We kinda expect them to do that, so they have some latitude.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Either Nintendo struck gold in marketing strategy (software reveal planning) and nobody realised that or they are just way wrong.

Not necessarily "wrong" just different.  Sony's doing just fine using its current strategy.  Again, there isn't one way to do marketing.  One resaurant might focus on the food and chef, the next might center their marketing on a clown, and a third on a 50s retro look, and yet another might have a series of half-naked women eating burgers.

All of these might be successful, and all might fail.  But none of them are necessarily the "right" way to market.

Totally agree.

friendlyfamine said:

They're doomed if most of the third party games announced by Bethesda/Ubi/Square/Capcom etc are not coming to the Switch. That would negatively establish the Switch as a Nintendo, JRPG and indie machine. I mean, I wouldn't want to buy a $300 console just to play those games :/

Nintendo could live with just Mario Odyssey if third parties come to the system. it's damn important

Yup, same like Wii, DS and 3DS were also doomed without strong 3rd party support.