By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Jim Ryan on old Gran Turismo Games: "Why would anybody play this?"

fuallmofus said:
because those old ones are much more interesting to play. Not so much handholding, player has to discover the gameworld himself and how the gamemehanics work. Resident Evil 1,2,3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>every RE beyound 3

No, they are not. They're terrible in comparison. Video games have evolved. Not only in terms of graphics and voice acting, but most importantly in gameplay. Hence why Yooka-laylee got such low scores from reviewers.

I bought about 30 psone games to play on ps3/psp and vita and only managed to complete 1 or two. I haven't touched most of them. The experience is clealy inferior. Nostalgia helps in some cases but not to the point that most people would get as excited to keep playing an old game as they were when it launched. For one thing, they were incredibly short, had no save files and had insane difficulty to keep the people who bought them playing.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Chris Hu said:

I think you need to brush up on your video game history the market was in its infancy during the Atari 2600 era not during the 16 bit era by that time it already had matured a lot in both the console and PC market.

Except we had a crash. And then the market basically rebooted itself.  It was still relatively young.  And we are far away from that gen, where combined the Top 5 didn't even hit 95M.  Now, the market leader sells 5M+ more than that all on its own.  Face it. XBO is doing poorly.  MS may not say it, but their actions show they know it is.  And even more so when you compare it to its 85M units sold predecessor, of which it doesn't look like it will hit half that number.

Nope, nothing that is already in its fourth generation is still in its infancy.  That like saying when the first Model T rolled off the assembly line the automotive industry was still in its infancy.  The infancy period is like the first 5 to 10 years of any industy.  By the time 4th generation started video games where around for almost 20 years already.

Chris Hu said:
thismeintiel said:

Except we had a crash. And then the market basically rebooted itself.  It was still relatively young.  And we are far away from that gen, where combined the Top 5 didn't even hit 95M.  Now, the market leader sells 5M+ more than that all on its own.  Face it. XBO is doing poorly.  MS may not say it, but their actions show they know it is.  And even more so when you compare it to its 85M units sold predecessor, of which it doesn't look like it will hit half that number.

Nope, nothing that is already in its fourth generation is still in its infancy.  That like saying when the first Model T rolled off the assembly line the automotive industry was still in its infancy.  The infancy period is like the first 5 to 10 years of any industy.  By the time 4th generation started video games where around for almost 20 years already.

This going to be my last reply.  It's obvious you lost the debate, as you are focusing on something that isn't the main point because you can't argue the main point.  And that is the XBO is doing poorly on all accounts.  To even make it seem like a success you are comparing it to when the gaming market was MUCH smaller.  The whole market wasn't even 95M during the first 4 gens.  And now we have single consoles selling more than that each gen.

I bought my Wii U knowing I could buy and play Wii games on it... just sayin'

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

thismeintiel said:
Chris Hu said:

This going to be my last reply.  It's obvious you lost the debate, as you are focusing on something that isn't the main point because you can't argue the main point.  And that is the XBO is doing poorly on all accounts.  To even make it seem like a success you are comparing it to when the gaming market was MUCH smaller.  The whole market wasn't even 95M during the first 4 gens.  And now we have single consoles selling more than that each gen.

I didn't loose the debate again you need to brush up video game history.  And no the XBox is not doing poorly on all accounts the only piece of hardware that did that in the last 10 years is the Sony Vita it failed both in the hardware and software department.  Also the market wasn't really that much smaller just a lot more people played games on PC instead of consoles.  Plus the wolrd population was smaller by 2 billion people and you still had the iron curtain and China was basically still isolated from the west.  The big crash only affected the North American market.  The console market in Japan wasn't really affected by it and in Europe the majority of people played video games on PC's instead of consoles the C64 and other lower priced PC's were beasting in Europe during the crash.  A large chunck of the NES library started out as PC games that right there shows you how dominat PC gaming was.