By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Weekly, 29th April 2017 - Hardware

taus90 said:
I wonder how will be the sales number after 15m, coz I'm assuming right now the only people buying Switch would be former Wii U owners, the die hard nintendo fans who were like waiting for 2 gens to get a really good consoles from Nintendo and of course scalpers.

This fall will be interesting considering big third party heavy hitters are coming which will not be on Nintendo Switch.. IMO The only way Nintendo could compete is with pokemon.. coz people who are mario fans has already bought the switch.

I think you are forgetting about the 3DS users. They have also been waiting for a powerful system to play on the go. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Great numbers for the Switch.

Skeeuk said:

i really dont understand how the switch is seeling so much, i can only think its because its a in between device

I think the reveal trailer did a good explanation of what the Switch is supposed to be: an in-between device, like you said and people seem to have responded positively to that.

Over half a million likes on the Switch reveal trailer which is at over 31 million views.

Ka-pi96 said:
jason1637 said:

PS1 and PS2 sold a bit over 250m lifetime and DS and Wii over 300 lifetime. 

ummm.... wut? 101.63+154.02 = 255.65m. 255.65 =/= >300m

You could even add the Wii U to that and it wouldn't be over 300m

Oh and for the record PS1+PS2 102.49+157.68 = 260.17m. So yeah, PS1+PS2 > DS+Wii

Oh got the numbers mixed up. Either it's not a huge difference as he made it seem.

Ka-pi96 said:
iNathan said:
Nintendo Switch will be the best selling Nintendo home console ever!

Nah, it won't beat the DS.

The DS wasn't a home console.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
Surely with the wii u selling such low numbers, about the same as 360 and ps3 combined it should be removed from the main bar chart and replaced with Switch.

Up until now at least, the main bar has always been seperated via generations. Switch is a 9th generation console so, if they're going to go with the same format as they've always gone by, you'll have to wait until PS5 and Scorpio drop for the main bar to change.

Ka-pi96 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

The DS wasn't a home console.

Neither is the Switch...

It can be. Just keep it in the dock.

Mar1217 said:
taus90 said:
I wonder how will be the sales number after 15m, coz I'm assuming right now the only people buying Switch would be former Wii U owners, the die hard nintendo fans who were like waiting for 2 gens to get a really good consoles from Nintendo and of course scalpers.

This fall will be interesting considering big third party heavy hitters are coming which will not be on Nintendo Switch.. IMO The only way Nintendo could compete is with pokemon.. coz people who are mario fans has already bought the switch.

You're forgetting that Mario is another mass appeal for the casual market. There's going be way more people that doesn't have the system who wants it because there's Mario on it than there will be people owning it before the game's out.

I'm sorry can you point out a mario game in recent memory which had mass appeal, not the hyped up super mario run which died faster than pokemon go. Yes Mario is a system seller and it has the capacity to sell 12 to 15 million but these are not casual gamers. The last proper mario game (correct me if i m wrong) was in 2011 (mario 3d land) on a handheld which sold 11million. And to give a little bit of more persepective My fav mario game Super mario galaxy 2 on casual darling Wii with around 100m user base managed to sell just under 7m. 

So there are fans of mario who might have already bought the console for the Switch mario .. it will just not bring in kids who grew up on Halo, Call of duty, GTA and Uncharted, for them these are their Mario. So I believe there are like around 20m hardcore nintento fans left out there as Wii userbase was entirely made of casual.

Don't get me wrong I want Switch to be successful, Although I m a playstation guy, I really hope switch is successful and puts this whole hybrid console into motion. But right now in place of mario I would have prefered that switch pokemon game, alongside of MHXX, these are the two game which would really put a sharp spike on switch's sales chart.

Mar1217 said:
taus90 said:

I'm sorry can you point out a mario game in recent memory which had mass appeal, not the hyped up super mario run which died faster than pokemon go. Yes Mario is a system seller and it has the capacity to sell 12 to 15 million but these are not casual gamers. The last proper mario game (correct me if i m wrong) was in 2011 (mario 3d land) on a handheld which sold 11million. And to give a little bit of more persepective My fav mario game Super mario galaxy 2 on casual darling Wii with around 100m user base managed to sell just under 7m. 

So there are fans of mario who might have already bought the console for the Switch mario .. it will just not bring in kids who grew up on Halo, Call of duty, GTA and Uncharted, for them these are their Mario. So I believe there are like around 20m hardcore nintento fans left out there as Wii userbase was entirely made of casual.

Don't get me wrong I want Switch to be successful, Although I m a playstation guy, I really hope switch is successful and puts this whole hybrid console into motion. But right now in place of mario I would have prefered that switch pokemon game, alongside of MHXX, these are the two game which would really put a sharp spike on switch's sales chart.

Like it or not SM Run is still getting download a freaking ton on mobile devices which is good for awareness with consummers.

I mean, Mario is still the most iconic video game character ever created. So Nintendo just need a bit of marketing push before the Holiday and I safely think the sales will follow up even with the casual consummers who will find it as a good excuse to buy their Switch.

The awarness among the consumer is that after playing three level no one is buying the full game, only 5% of 78million downloads on SMARTPHONES.. so that's a negative awarness, IMO not something a game of mario's caliber would want. 

Yes He is an Iconic character so is Lara Croft, Sonic, Master Chief.. but how many casuals are buying console for those games and same logic applies for upcoming Crash Bandicoot, people who love crash are playstation fan and they already have a playstation 4.

Just answer me this,  which game would you rather rely for sales outside of nintendo fanbase,  Pokemon or mario?

taus90 said:
Mar1217 said:

You're forgetting that Mario is another mass appeal for the casual market. There's going be way more people that doesn't have the system who wants it because there's Mario on it than there will be people owning it before the game's out.

Don't get me wrong I want Switch to be successful, Although I m a playstation guy, I really hope switch is successful and puts this whole hybrid console into motion. But right now in place of mario I would have prefered that switch pokemon game, alongside of MHXX, these are the two game which would really put a sharp spike on switch's sales chart

there has been 7 3D Mario games, 4 of which sold over 10 million while the other 3 cleared 5 million.......how is that not considered mass appeal?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.