By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bold Prediction: Splatoon 2 Will Outsell Splatoon This Year Alone

Will it?

Yes! 81 47.93%

No! 38 22.49%

Maybe 50 29.59%

Total:169

Yeah, with stock issues still biting more than three months after launch, I think Splatoon 2's impact is going to be dampened somewhat by a lack of available hardware.

Around the Network

It's certainly possible. The Switch will have sold around 4.3m WW when ARMS launches barring glaring stock issues (this was calculated with a 150k global baseline and a stock boost for ARMS).
If Nintendo can maintain that it should be around 5m when Splatoon 2 launches. That is a big enough install base for a juggernout franchise to achieve 2m at launch, but I think the deciding factor will be japan (as well as stock).

Seeing how well it's tracking on COMG, Amazon.jp and Rakuten it might do 1m or close to that on launch in japan alone. 1m for EU+US+RoW should be achievable for a big game launch.
MK8D did 1.2 WW for launch, with around 300k of that coming from japan. That puts the rest around 900k and this was for a port, not a brand new game like Splatoon 2.

In short 2m launch is feasable. The remaining 2.7m legs within this year is where things get tricky, because they depend so much on Nintendo providing enough supply, especially in japan where the game will probably have it's best legs.

Well, since Nintendo announced 3.6m for Splatoon 2, I guess this prediction will turn out to be true, won't it? It just needs to sell 1.2m this quarter (holidays) to match the first Splatoon.

Just looking at the first pages, it looked like most people doubted it, but the poll says otherwise. Weird. xD

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Congrats Lipe, this was a bold prediction and you are on pace to win it.

Nicely done. This reminds me of that time when people thought Xenoblade X would outsell the OG Splatoon. The squid just keeps getting bigger and bigger, it seems.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

guiduc said:
Congrats Lipe, this was a bold prediction and you are on pace to win it.

Thanks. ^^ It seems Splatoon is a game that never ceases to surprise us!

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Slarvax said:
Maybe.

Nice.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

It's possible,but it also is,indeed,a really bold prediction.There's too much games in november for splatoon to compete with.

the_dark_lewd said:
Nope. Over its lifetime probably but not that quickly. Zelda probably won't have sold that much.

Breath of the wild is at that number right now, counting Swtich only. Wii U version is another 1.1+ million on top. So looks like Zelda did it.

LipeJJ said:
the_dark_lewd said:
Nope. Over its lifetime probably but not that quickly. Zelda probably won't have sold that much.

You mean Zelda won't sell 5m LT? Or in 6 months? If it's the later, of course it won't: it's a launch game (smaller install base) and it won't experience a holiday season during its 6 months. It's a completely different story for Splatoon 2 tho, which will release on a 5m or 6m install base and enjoy a full holiday season on its first 6 months. ^^ 

Well, Zelda might have outsold Splatoon 1 in its frist 6 months.  I mean its at basically 6 million right now and its been what 7 months, or is it 8?

Platina said:
Pretty bold, not sure how many Switches will be sold by then, but I'm doubtful it can hit 4M that soon

Have doubts that MK8 DX can hit 4M by the end of the year too :/

Software Numbers:

BotW: 4.70M
Mk8DX: 4.42M
Splatoon 2: 3.61M
1-2 Switch: 1.37M
ARMS: 1.35M

MK8DX easily got that 4 million. Looks like we will have 3 games that sell over the Splatoon 1 4.67 number. I Wonder what Mario Oddyssey will do by Jan 1 2018.

irstupid said:
the_dark_lewd said:

Breath of the wild is at that number right now, counting Swtich only. Wii U version is another 1.1+ million on top. So looks like Zelda did it.

LipeJJ said:

You mean Zelda won't sell 5m LT? Or in 6 months? If it's the later, of course it won't: it's a launch game (smaller install base) and it won't experience a holiday season during its 6 months. It's a completely different story for Splatoon 2 tho, which will release on a 5m or 6m install base and enjoy a full holiday season on its first 6 months. ^^ 

Well, Zelda might have outsold Splatoon 1 in its frist 6 months.  I mean its at basically 6 million right now and its been what 7 months, or is it 8?

Platina said:
Pretty bold, not sure how many Switches will be sold by then, but I'm doubtful it can hit 4M that soon

Have doubts that MK8 DX can hit 4M by the end of the year too :/

Software Numbers:

BotW: 4.70M
Mk8DX: 4.42M
Splatoon 2: 3.61M
1-2 Switch: 1.37M
ARMS: 1.35M

MK8DX easily got that 4 million. Looks like we will have 3 games that sell over the Splatoon 1 4.67 number. I Wonder what Mario Oddyssey will do by Jan 1 2018.

Odyssey at 2M in 3 days, so it will see a good boost during the holiday

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]