By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - NBA Finals Discussion- warriors clean up in five games, win it all 129-120

Nuvendil said:
Soundwave said:
LeBron's a great player, but he has no case for GOAT with a 3/8 Finals record. No way.

Even though two of those were him and literally NO ONE else vs the undisputed most talented teams of their years?  Jordan by himself wouldn't have stood a chance either.  Just look at the few times he dragged the Bulls to the Playoffs alone, he got obliterated.   Jordan never had to face those two circumstances.  Lebron has like two or three losses that you can hold against him.

And even getting the finals this many times is an accomplishment very few players can even claim. 

But yeah, keep counting rings. 

Making it through the LEastern Conference is no big accoplishment.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Nuvendil said:

Even though two of those were him and literally NO ONE else vs the undisputed most talented teams of their years?  Jordan by himself wouldn't have stood a chance either.  Just look at the few times he dragged the Bulls to the Playoffs alone, he got obliterated.   Jordan never had to face those two circumstances.  Lebron has like two or three losses that you can hold against him.

And even getting the finals this many times is an accomplishment very few players can even claim. 

Exactly. Its not just about the rings. Jordan also never had a bad finals series like lebron did in 2007 and 2011. 

Nuvendil said:

Yeah, it sucks to be back to the normal old sports world after the last 12 months with the Cavs coming back from 3-1 for the NBA Championship, the Cubs coming back to win the World Series, Roger Federer beating Nadal for the Australian Opening.  I was hoping we could continue the string of historic championship runs. 

What an amazing narrative would have been Lebron and the cavs tying the series 3-3 and going for history on game 7 against the warriors at their home nonetheless.

Unfortunaly it took them an extraordinary, record breaking performance to win one game and asking them to do that for 2 other games to at least tie the series was too much.

16-1

Good night.

That 22-2 run by the GSW in the 2nd was really something. You kinda knew then it was over and the only thing the Cavs could do was get close at some points of the game.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Nuvendil said:

I definitely agree with this, the only team that probably could have given a Lebron team trouble was the Chicago Bulls with a healthy D. Rose but we all know what happened to that. Everyone else has been a complete pretender.

Soundwave said:
Nuvendil said:

And yet despite numerous weak periods in the history of both conferences, I can think of no other player to single handedly make it to the Finals.  And with a team that was the second worst in the history of the League without their star.  Jordan's bulls were bad, but not nearly that bad. 

But when I look at GOAT, I loook at single accomplishments more than rings because both your record and your own performance are affected by that.  Jordan never faced a finals ever without Hall of Fame callibur help.  He never made it to the Conference Finals without Hall of Famers iirc.  This isn't a nock on Jordan, it's a reality of team sports.

But I don't have Lebron in the top 3 either.  Kareem, Jordan, and Wilt are still above him.  And if I'm putting anyone against Jordan, it's 110% going to be Wilt Chamberlain (mainly because the more I study him, the more I am convinced he isn't human).  LeBron is in between them and Kobe, Magic, Bird, Russell, etc etc etc. We'll have to see how he finishes out.  I think he and the Cavs have the potential in them to beat these Warriors.  But it's going to be hard work and take a lot of grit and determination they didn't show  in games 1 through 3.  They have the skill, but you gotta have the hunger to go with it. 

Also, I hate to say it, but I think Kevin Love might need to go. It's sad, he's great when he is on fire, he can get you a 20-20. But He just keeps failing to be relevant at key moments in the Finals. He'll get you double doubles all day...in the Playoffs. He'll grab lots of rebounds...in the Playoffs. He'll even hustle and be relevant on defense...in the Playoffs. He'll be a consistent 3 point shooter...in the Playoffs. But then the Finals come and they're getting like 2, maybe 3 descent games a series. That's killing them in these games with the Warriors, who are so filled with deadly players.

Kevin Love doesn't work with the Cavs. He worked with Minne due to him not being forced to simply be a three point shooter.

The cavs really need to work on themselves in the offseason. They made a bunch of terrible decisions. From giving Thompson $80 million to continuing to allow LeBron to play 43+ minutes throughout the playoffs, it's clear that there's work to do.

The 22-2 run in the 2nd showed who the superior team is. Props for Golden State for creating an amazing organization

monocle_layton said:
Kevin Love doesn't work with the Cavs. He worked with Minne due to him not being forced to simply be a three point shooter.

The cavs really need to work on themselves in the offseason. They made a bunch of terrible decisions. From giving Thompson $80 million to continuing to allow LeBron to play 43+ minutes throughout the playoffs, it's clear that there's work to do.

The 22-2 run in the 2nd showed who the superior team is. Props for Golden State for creating an amazing organization

Thompson has been a good player for them though.  And that 22-2 run was really bad, but I will say that a big part of what killed them then and at other points was not fighting for rebounds.  Which where Love really screwed up.  He grabbed some rebounds but there were many where he didn't even try.  You cannot give up your offensive rebounds against the Warriors and you absolutely can't give them second chance shots.  And that's on Thompson, Love, and to a degree Lebron cause rebounds are more about effort a lot of times.  And that's where Love really falls down, when he's not grabbing rebounds or scoring in the paint, what good is he? 

Yeah, there's work to do.  I think the Cavs still have significant untapped potential, but they gotta be willing to put in the work.