Forums - Nintendo Discussion - This is how Voice chat on the Switch will work

Happy with how Voice Chat wil be handled?

Yes 32 9.30%

No 244 70.93%

its whatever... 68 19.77%

Total:344
VGPolyglot said:
KLAMarine said:

So what if it isn't integrated with the Switch? I would text people beforehand if I wanted to chat with people then.

"Hey Joe, let's play some Fifa or Splatoon 2"

"Cool what time you on?"

"5 pm"

"Okay, cool. Will be there then"

I don't know, seems pretty simple.

You know what'd be even simpler? Just playing the game online and being able to talk to them in the game!

I don't know how this Discord app works on the phone but I imagine it's still pretty simple. I imagine you get little notices that someone in your Discord friend's list or whatever has logged onto the app. At that point, the app lets you lobby-up with that person.

Areym said:
KLAMarine said:

They're telling people to just use a free phone app. That's the message I'm getting.

Well, the message I'm getting is that Nintendo does not see the need to include a more intuitive voice chat feature into the Switch. My guess is that they have no real plans or expectations to get killer multiplayer games where voice chat can be a highly desired feature to have, aside from Splatoon. So they aren't expecting any battlefields, CoD, or the likes any time soon or at all.  I'm sure splatoon players won't really care (based on the respond from bans, they never user voice chat anyways) but it's still kinda telling of some of the sacrifices they made for the sake of their price point/portable design)

EDIT: You talked about convenience in your other Switch thread, this isn't very convinient.

No, it isn't which is why I'm encouraging people to forgo this convoluted set-up and just use a third party app for voice chat. I'm sure there are some available on iOS or Android. Until recently, I didn't know what Discord was but apparently, it's a gaming voice chat service or something. I'd look into a phone app for that service if I cared about voice chat.

Around the Network

Lmao. This is the biggest joke this generation. This thing released in 2017....

KLAMarine said:
VGPolyglot said:

You know what'd be even simpler? Just playing the game online and being able to talk to them in the game!

I don't know how this Discord app works on the phone but I imagine it's still pretty simple. I imagine you get little notices that someone in your Discord friend's list or whatever has logged onto the app. At that point, the app lets you lobby-up with that person.

The only time I get a notification on Discord is when someone mentions me or PMs me. Not really when others log online, or use the voice chat.

So does this mean the Switch only has party voice chat, no game voice chat?

Barkley said:
Slarvax said:

Because Hori makes houndreds of weird and useless accessories.

But the cable going to the phone is evidence enough that the phone is used for voice chat right?

Unless Hori made their own application for smartphones that connects to the Switch for voice-chat, even though the Switch can natively handle voice-chat itself.

Things can change in the future, but as of right now I think this is evidence enough.

edit: I had a dumb

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
KLAMarine said:

The only time I get a notification on Discord is when someone mentions me or PMs me. Not really when others log online, or use the voice chat.

I see. Some good ideas for Discord devs to implement in the future. Can you tell when others are on the Discord app?

Gotta throw people a bone every now and then. They've been going through a drought the last few months.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

potato_hamster said:
Barkley said:

But the cable going to the phone is evidence enough that the phone is used for voice chat right?

Unless Hori made their own application for smartphones that connects to the Switch for voice-chat, even though the Switch can natively handle voice-chat itself.

Things can change in the future, but as of right now I think this is evidence enough.

C'mon man. You sound like Robert Durst's lawyers.

You do realise I was trying to make it sound unfeasible that this doesn't prove you need your phone?

I prefer to have my game audio through my sound system and only have the voice chat itself in a single earcup headset w/mic when playing at home. So I don't need this "contraption". All I need to do is plug my headset into my phone and let my sound system handle the game audio.
I don't plan on using voice chat in portable mode at all.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

This can't be true… This can't be true. This can't be

Well, this is new.

Read.