By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - This is how Voice chat on the Switch will work

Happy with how Voice Chat wil be handled?

Yes 32 9.30%

No 244 70.93%

its whatever... 68 19.77%

Total:344
KLAMarine said:

VGPolyglot said:

Yes, there's a phone app for Discord, but that wouldn't be integrated with the Switch itself, which means you can only do online chat with people that you planned to do it with beforehand.

So what if it isn't integrated with the Switch? I would text people beforehand if I wanted to chat with people then.

"Hey Joe, let's play some Fifa or Splatoon 2"

"Cool what time you on?"

"5 pm"

"Okay, cool. Will be there then"

I don't know, seems pretty simple.

You know what'd be even simpler? Just playing the game online and being able to talk to them in the game!

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Just why? You have bluetooth on the switch Nintendo.... Let us use it god damn it

Same reason Sony doesn't do it, it drains power 

If I want to use voice chat in the woods with my Switch then this is a fine solution but for more practical use Nintendo needs to integrate voice chat into the console itself.

Ya'll should wait for Nintendo to announce it.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:

Why?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Areym said:

There are work arounds i suppose, but it's still kinda puzzling how clunky or complex Nintendo is making this very common feature out to be. I'd be really interested why they went for this design.

They're telling people to just use a free phone app. That's the message I'm getting.

Well, the message I'm getting is that Nintendo does not see the need to include a more intuitive voice chat feature into the Switch. My guess is that they have no real plans or expectations to get killer multiplayer games where voice chat can be a highly desired feature to have, aside from Splatoon. So they aren't expecting any battlefields, CoD, or the likes any time soon or at all.  I'm sure splatoon players won't really care (based on the respond from bans, they never user voice chat anyways) but it's still kinda telling of some of the sacrifices they made for the sake of their price point/portable design)

EDIT: You talked about convenience in your other Switch thread, this isn't very convinient.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Rab said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Just why? You have bluetooth on the switch Nintendo.... Let us use it god damn it

I'd rather have it drain power than use this method which will drain power from both my switch and my phone...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Rab said:

I'd rather have it drain power than use this method which will drain power from both my switch and my phone...

No, you will like it and you will not question the wise and logical decisions of the great Nintendo!!

Barkley said:
Slarvax said:

Why?

Because Hori makes houndreds of weird and useless accessories.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
Barkley said:

Why?

Because Hori makes houndreds of weird and useless accessories.

But the cable going to the phone is evidence enough that the phone is used for voice chat right?

Unless Hori made their own application for smartphones that connects to the Switch for voice-chat, even though the Switch can natively handle voice-chat itself.

Things can change in the future, but as of right now I think this is evidence enough.