By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - This is how Voice chat on the Switch will work

Happy with how Voice Chat wil be handled?

Yes 32 9.30%

No 244 70.93%

its whatever... 68 19.77%

Total:344

Wow. I totally forgot about the voicechat thing, but here it is. This really seems like a modern solution does it not? I already said back then that using a smartphone for voicechat is a stupid and overly complicated idea. Well lo and behold, they can't seriously say with a straight face that this is a good idea can they? People wanting to voicechat are better off just conference-calling or whatever with those they want to talk to.

Captain_Yuri said:

Poor iphone 7 users tho. All that apple greatness yet you can't use it with the switch and charge your iphone at the same time. Unless you are courageous enough to get a dongle and add more stuff into this mess.

So much for a wireless future eh?

Lol, you'd almost want to buy all this just to set it up and make a picture of what a hilariously ridiculous mess this is. This is like having a Mega Drive with the CD and 32X installed simultaneously. XD

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
RolStoppable said:

That's not really how it works on a gaming forum. Despite everyone, including the mod team, knowing who is guilty, there won't necessarily be convictions (=moderations). There is some leeway in which users can operate without having to worry about moderations. This here is such a thread which is why I posted that people need to be thrown a bone every now and then. Here they can express their dislike for the Switch without it classifying as (blatant) trolling, so the number of such individuals is notably higher than in Switch threads of the recent past.

OK. Now, what are your views on it? Do you think this is an acceptable decision?

Since you're here, how do you like the Discord phone app?

S.Peelman said:

Wow. I totally forgot about the voicechat thing, but here it is. This really seems like a modern solution does it not? I already said back then that using a smartphone for voicechat is a stupid and overly complicated idea. Well lo and behold, they can't seriously say with a straight face that this is a good idea can they? People wanting to voicechat are better off just conference-calling or whatever with those they want to talk to.

Captain_Yuri said:

Poor iphone 7 users tho. All that apple greatness yet you can't use it with the switch and charge your iphone at the same time. Unless you are courageous enough to get a dongle and add more stuff into this mess.

Lol, you'd almost want to buy all this just to set it up and make a picture of what a hilariously ridiculous mess this is. This is like having a Mega Drive with the CD and 32X installed simultaneously. XD

I agree, it's ridiculous. I'd just stick to a simple phone app solution if I wanted voice chat.

Leadified said:
If I want to use voice chat in the woods with my Switch then this is a fine solution but for more practical use Nintendo needs to integrate voice chat into the console itself.

Maybe they do a Switch XL version lateron thats better, and has these issues fix'ed.

Captain_Yuri said:

Insane lmao (6 differnt things, and 5 wires?)

JRPGfan said:
Leadified said:
If I want to use voice chat in the woods with my Switch then this is a fine solution but for more practical use Nintendo needs to integrate voice chat into the console itself.

Maybe they do a Switch XL version lateron thats better, and has these issues fix'ed.

I don't mean hardware since the Switch has a headphone jack and Bluetooth. All they would  need to do is roll out a firmware patch.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Lmao. This is the biggest joke this generation. This thing released in 2017....

I could think of bigger jokes this generation but I'd rather the conversation not go down that route.

pokoko said:

Jesus Christ.  Can't wait for someone to tell me how elegant and simple that is.  Well, except for Reggie, because he looks so defensive when he lies.  He's like the Sean Spicer of gaming.

Slarvax said:
Ya'll should wait for Nintendo to announce it.

I agree with that.  I don't believe this is all there is to the equation.  Nintendo could not have looked at this and said, "yeah, that's a good design."  I'm guessing there will be yet another Nintendo-made accessory sold that's a lot less clunky.  I'm not going to assume this is the only solution.

Pretty sure Nintendo's solution will look more like this. People seem to be confusing voice chat with headset chat.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I'll wait to know about all the options before make up my mind about this. I think people are bashing it before know how the app/voice chat actually works. This solution seems pretty clumsy, that's for sure. But I don't think this will be our only choice.

COKTOE said:
OdinHades said:

Not with friggin' bluetooth it can't! It won't work with my goddamn SONY Bluetooth headset until this very day. I used the same exact headset on the PS3 for years and it worked flawlessly. Not anymore! Ok, maybe it's too old, how about some new SONY headphones from 2016? Nope, sorry, won't work! But yeah, why in the world should a SONY headset work with a fuckin' SONY console?! 

Sorry, I'm still a little fucking pissed off because of the shitty bluetooth support on PS4. I'm using bluetooth headsets on steam and it works like a charm. Until now, I couldn't use a single headset on the PS4. Not the official PS3 bluetooth headset, not the Sony MDR-1RBT, not the Sony MDR-1ABT, not the Bose SoundLink OnEar, nothing. I always have to wear that shitty headset that was in the box underneath my good headphones. Plus I have a fucking cable hanging on my controller. I hate cables. 

Screw you, Sony!

I was wondering whether the Gold headset was wireless on the PS4. I have it, but have only used it on the Vita. I still go online with the PS3, and also have the PS3 Gold headset, which is of cousre, wireless. Are you sure the PS4  Gold headset won't work with bluetooth. WTF is the dongle for? I need to google this shit now, just to be asolutely clear. If true, that's kinda lame. Not the unbelievable mess the Switch has going on, but still lame. On that: This is even worse than what I thought it would be. Just having to use a phone, without voice-chat functionality being built in was already stupid. This is a clown show.

I have two of the gold headsets, and they are indeed wireless (and bluetooth at that) . While I don't use them much, they've worked as expected every time I've used them. But that's just my anecdote, take it with a grain of salt.

The crazy thing is that even if you try to be like me and say "well I'll just not listen to the game audio," it's still terrible because it's literally no more convenient than facetiming/skype/making a phone call.

I want to use the defense "well those platforms don't have all of your Switch friends in one place," but the Switch using Friend codes AGAIN stopped me from adding anyone.