By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - This is how Voice chat on the Switch will work

Happy with how Voice Chat wil be handled?

Yes 32 9.30%

No 244 70.93%

its whatever... 68 19.77%

Total:344

Geez, look at this mess. How did this method ever got approved in the first place? This is clunky as heck. 

Around the Network

Ok looks simple. Great news.

Jranation said:
That headset looks awesome!

was my first and lasting thought on this. If I'm honest that looks like a strange set up but I find it even stranger that people are not aware of 3.5mm jack extension cables when it comes to wanting their home setup with this, they cost €1.50 here for 3m cables, this isn't a deal breaker for me when you consider how much easier it is to transform the Switch into a console mimicing the Ps4 than doing that the other way around.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Darwinianevolution said:
Looks complicated. Hopefully a 3rd party company makes some another way to connect all of this.

There's already work arounds based on what I'm seeing from this headset design.

I already had to use a bluetooth adapter with the PS4 for my wireless headset, and I can see that this will work with the Switch as well. The difference is you'll have to buy something extra, basically a Y audio splitter that includes audio input (many don't, but is necessary for the microphone to work). I haven't tried to figure out what combination of things will work just yet (I think I might already have all of the necessary equipment), but it's definitely very doable.

Otherwise, I used a bit of velcro for the Bluetooth adapter on my PS4, and I'll do the same with the Switch... I think I'll put a strip of velcro on the middle/top/back of the Switch itself, as well as one directly behind it on the outside of the dock so that I can reposition it when docked.

I've no doubt some 3rd party will eventually combine this into one easy package, but until then I suspect most Switch owners will not realize there's better options and have to deal with this weird mess of a system O_o

Ganoncrotch said:
Jranation said:
That headset looks awesome!

was my first and lasting thought on this. If I'm honest that looks like a strange set up but I find it even stranger that people are not aware of 3.5mm jack extension

How is an extension going to help having to have an adapter, that has to be plugged into both your console AND your phone?

It's completely backwards you'd need a phone even if it was completely wireless, but 3 cables ontop of that is as backwards as it gets.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
So those of us without a compatible phone (let's be honest there's no chance Windows phones will work for this) are completely screwed over? Well fuck you too then nintendo!

Wait you were being serious when you said you owned a Windows Phone??

Do you at least have Discord on them?? I mean let's be real everyone should just Discord anyway.

StarOcean said:
vivster said:

You better don't look at the poll.

Who the hell thinks this is a good idea?!

Jrnation is ecstatic, he can't wait to get his hands on Nintendo's latest triumph.

Looks clunky but I would like to know how heavy the little squid piece is.

Thankfully, never cared for voice chat and for those who do, I'm sure there are third party phone apps available that are less complicated than this.

It's like they made voice chat as awkward and inconvenient as possible to dissuade people from using it. I don't care for voice chat myself but that setup looks borderline spiteful.

Guys, just use a phone app. Seriously. The headset looks awesome but the setup for this looks far too complex.

This Discord thing I've heard about, is there a phone app for that? Just use that or any other app for talking.