By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the best prediction you ever made?

After the Wii U release and Xbox One reveal, I said the PS4 would sell decently.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
After the Wii U release and Xbox One reveal, I said the PS4 would sell decently.

It will outsell the PS2!!

Or something like that. I wonder if anyone still believes this.

Mummelmann said:
Probably my 240 million lifetime predictions for both Wii and Wii U. No, wait, that wasn't mine!

I've had a few that were pretty good but most are fairly simple or predictable (like the overall direction of the market). I will add that I was among the very first in here, along with kowenicki, who said that the smart device revolution would seriously damage other sectors of gaming, most of all dedicated handhelds, there was very, very little support for that notion in here at the time and the DS was even still selling well.

The funny thing is before that incredibly wrong prediction, JohnLucas did make a few bold predictions that turned out to be right. He had an almost cult-like following and well I think it got to his head...

I'm surprised he hasn't come back now that the Switch is looking like a hit.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Mummelmann said:
Probably my 240 million lifetime predictions for both Wii and Wii U. No, wait, that wasn't mine!

I've had a few that were pretty good but most are fairly simple or predictable (like the overall direction of the market). I will add that I was among the very first in here, along with kowenicki, who said that the smart device revolution would seriously damage other sectors of gaming, most of all dedicated handhelds, there was very, very little support for that notion in here at the time and the DS was even still selling well.

The funny thing is before that incredibly wrong prediction, JohnLucas did make a few bold predictions that turned out to be right. He had an almost cult-like following and well I think it got to his head...

I'm surprised he hasn't come back now that the Switch is looking like a hit.

He logged in about a month ago after two years away, he's probably preparing a comeback! Expect a 240 million lifetime thread any day now.

He got a few things right at the beginning of the 7th gen but then it all went sideways and the crazy conspiracies and insane numbers popped up everywhere, his fans still stuck by him. It's amazing the amount of tosh one can swallow or even defend from someone you look up to or at least partly agree with. Human nature, I guess.

Even before E3 2013 or the X1 reveal I predicted PS4 would do much better than Xbox's next console. I just looked at all the terrible mistakes that Sony made and that they still sold better in the end than 360. Many seemed to predict that it would be Xbox's time to shine and finally win a gen but I figured if Sony came in around equal price and release date it would be fine. Also many seemed to think after sony didn't reveal at E3 2012 that there was no way they would release in 2013. I held by the prediction that they could reveal and sell in the same year. Now of course I also predicted Nintendo would be second in the 8th gen and I could never have predicted Xbox losing NA and being outsold 2:1 but still pretty good I think.

I am Iron Man

Around the Network

In retrospect, I'm actually pretty bad at predictions. I guessed that the Vita would flop after Monster Hunter 4 was announced for 3DS, but that barely counts.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4217988

Love and tolerate.

Pemalite said:
Most of my tech predictions tend to end up being right. Many of my Scorpio and Playstation 4 Pro's did.

Probably because you ignore the rumours. Once hardware comes up in rumours, it will only bring disappointment with it.

None I'm pretty bad for that stuff

Here are some of my best predictions;

1. Back in 2000 or 2001, I predicted that Nintendo would one day return to cartridgebased hardware technology for their home console system. It happened 17 years later with the Switch. Bare in mind that this was at a time when the CD och DVD technology was considered the only possible storage medium for future video game systems.

2. In 2002 I predicted that Nintendo would one day merge their handheld division with their home console division. It happened 12 or 13 years later.

3. In 1995 I predicted Nintendo would release a future fightinggame based on Nintendo characters. In 1999 they released Super Smash Bros.

4. In 1993 I predicted that Nintendo would one day license their franchises to a large themepark operator. Such a themepark will soon become reality.

5. I predicted the Wii would become a market phenomenon when most professional analysts saw the system as a hopeless failure because of its restricted specs. A year later it became the fastest selling game system in the world.

I dunno, in 2015 I predicted a Zelda U porting would happen on NX; I predicted Pokémon would have the best gaming anniversary in 2016 when Zelda was still slated for 2016 and Pokémon GO didn't have a release date; I predicted FF VII Remake wouldn't be shown at E3 2016 despite the hype of the previous year...