By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch vs Ps4 - Who will win 2017 WW

Pillertriller said:
killeryoshis said:

Well I am definitely wrong about the PS5 launch. I am right about who won 2017 in terms of sales. So I will stick to my guns and say Switch will win 2018,2019 and 2020. 

I knew the Switch wouldn't win with this being the launch year and only having 10 months. I expect the Switch to accelerate quickly next year just like the Wii and DS. Sales should be above 20 million next year or close to it. 

Switch has zero chance to win 2018 against the PS4

You better remember this comment this one year from now....................

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
Pillertriller said:

I will, you all overstimate this switch hype too much lol. Switch will destroy the PS4 in Japan, everywere else in the World the Switch will be dominated by the PS4. Now who will win? Simple math.

Pillertriller said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

I will, you all overstimate this switch hype too much lol. Switch will destroy the PS4 in Japan, everywere else in the World the Switch will be dominated by the PS4. Now who will win? Simple math.

Do you realize Switch is selling a lot better than PS4 in USA? It lost November because no deals, but you already see how December is another story, and how on Amazon right now is literally dominate, which mean January is gonna be even better for Switch.

PS4 will win in Europe, excluding France, but Switch will win in USA, and not by a small margin, and will dominate Japan.

Pillertriller said:
killeryoshis said:

Well I am definitely wrong about the PS5 launch. I am right about who won 2017 in terms of sales. So I will stick to my guns and say Switch will win 2018,2019 and 2020. 

I knew the Switch wouldn't win with this being the launch year and only having 10 months. I expect the Switch to accelerate quickly next year just like the Wii and DS. Sales should be above 20 million next year or close to it. 

Switch definitely has a chance next year. It did 13-14 million this year, and console sales are almost always higher in the second year than in the first. Nintendo's aiming at 20 million for 2018, so they probably have some big games coming up.

PS4 on the other hand, will already be in its fifth year, so it will probably start to slow down. It will definitely keep doing well considering the amount of games it's getting, but it may be difficult to reach this year's sales.

Personally, I do believe that the PS4 will still win in 2018, but I certainly wouldn't count the Switch out.

Ryng_Tolu said:
Pillertriller said:

Do you realize Switch is selling a lot better than PS4 in USA? It lost November because no deals, but you already see how December is another story, and how on Amazon right now is literally dominate, which mean January is gonna be even better for Switch.

PS4 will win in Europe, excluding France, but Switch will win in USA, and not by a small margin, and will dominate Japan.

Always these excuses lost because no deals no stock blah blah the switch has only a chance in us because already a ton of people already own a ps4. And this are facts and not just excuses

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
Pillertriller said:

Is it though? I thought id check if that was true.

VGC's Hardware Year-Over-Year Comparison 2016-2017, added up 2017 numbers for the US for both the PS4 & Switch.

Results for 2017 unit sales are as follows:

PS4 = 4,3m units sold in the us.

Switch = 3,4m units sold in the us.

From jan - > november, in 2017, so far the PS4 has sold more units in the US than the Switch has.

Maybe Switch does better in december and closes that gap, but its just as likely it doesnt.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 30 December 2017

Flilix said:
Pillertriller said:

Switch definitely has a chance next year. It did 13-14 million this year, and console sales are almost always higher in the second year than in the first. Nintendo's aiming at 20 million for 2018, so they probably have some big games coming up.

PS4 on the other hand, will already be in its fifth year, so it will probably start to slow down. It will definitely keep doing well considering the amount of games it's getting, but it may be difficult to reach this year's sales.

Personally, I do believe that the PS4 will still win in 2018, but I certainly wouldn't count the Switch out.

You people make me laugh. Show the receipts.

Rob5VGC said:
Flilix said:

It was at 10m sold through by december the 10th.... its not unreasonable to assume it ll do another 2-3m in december before all is said and done.

It "could" end the year at 13m.

Just as the PS4 "could" end it at ~74m (it was at 70,6m by dec 3rd).

JRPGfan said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Is it though? I thought id check if that was true.

VGC's Hardware Year-Over-Year Comparison 2016-2017, added up 2017 numbers for the US for both the PS4 & Switch.

Results for 2017 unit sales are as follows:

PS4 = 4,3m units sold in the us.

Switch = 3,4m units sold in the us.

From jan - > november, in 2017, so far the PS4 has sold more units in the US than the Switch has.

Maybe Switch does better in december and closes that gap, but its just as likely it doesnt.

Switch is selling better in December, and if we look at Amazon it looks like is gonna sell way more in January too.

2017 was 2017, i knew PS4 was gonna win this year since summer. Doesn't matter tho, since we know why PS4 sold more than Switch in November, and we know that right now Switch is doing better.

Pillertriller said: 
Ryng_Tolu said: 

Always these excuses lost because no deals no stock blah blah the switch has only a chance in us because already a ton of people already own a ps4. And this are facts and not just excuses

I would like to discuss about what do you think are facts and excuses, boy.
How even does Switch have a chance in US because "a ton of people already bought a PS4" ? Isn't the same in Europe?

We already have many reports which say Switch outsold PS4 in December, actually, they also say by a huge margin. I'm not saying that's gonna be the case, but we know is 99% sure Switch outsold PS4 in December, and January so far is by far worse for PS4 on Amazon.

Don't worry anyway, when Switch has enough stock and PS4 has no insane promotions, there is no way PS4 sells close to Switch in USA, so for PS4 to beat Switch in 2018, Sony should do insane deals and price cuts and Nintendo should continue to have stocks problems for all year, something which is very unlucky.

2018 Switch will be by far the best selling console in USA, easy, actually, there a chance it outsell PS4 every months, but let's not get crazy now, the point is that Switch will easy wins US by a good margin, and Japan by an absyss. I don't know if people understand that, actually, there is a big chance that Switch in Japan in 2018 sells more than PS4 in US. I would say it's most likely gonna be the case, and Switch sales in US will be also bigger than in Japan, so there you go.

Europe and Rest of the world are not gonna close this gap.

Rob5VGC said:
Flilix said:

Okay, 14 million is a bit too much. Sorry, I confused it with the projected sales for March 3rd (first 12 months).

13 million seems plausible though. It reached the 10 million mark a few weeks ago, and December will definitely be its biggest month.