By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch vs Ps4 - Who will win 2017 WW

Jumpin said:
It's going to be the Switch, that's what the data indicates,

As of the end of April after 8 week of Switch sales, and 17 weeks of PS4:
PS4 4,234,849  7,000,000+
NS 3,488,881

Switch is outselling the PS4 on average per week, despite the current supply constraint.
Typically, Nintendo benefits more from holiday season sales than other companies, and they're targeting 18 million consoles to be produced this year, and this number has risen twice already in the last 3 months, and could rise again over the next 6. More so this year considering PS4 doesn't have as exciting a holiday this year as last year. Switch will also have a stronger summer than PS4, so by the time the holidays come around, it will have surpassed PS4 for the year.

Is that useing VGC data?

Sony says its 7m+ over 5months of this year (june 11th).

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Well, so far the Switch managed above 200K a week. This probably means around 20K win against the PS4 per week. In 50 weeks the million is made. As holidays are insane, I declare it will be very close. Or Switch sales drop below 200K. In which case PS4 will win.

And to your addendum, that Switch is only available since may: keep in mind that launch moves a lot of units, but it will niot have another launch. So ongoing momentum is relevant here.

Using sony's official figures (7 million since January the 1st) PS4 has averaged 292k per week this year so far. They're on track for this to be PS4's best year.

2015  - 4.9m  (Jan 3rd to June 13th)
2016 -  5.2m (Jan 2nd to June 11th)
2017  - 7m (Jan 1st to June 11th)

Barkley said:
Jumpin said:

PS4 4,234,849
NS 3,488,881

VGC figures are wrong, we've got official figures from Sony now.

7 million sold this year as of June 11th.

7 million shipped. VG Chartz tracks numbers sold to customers. Sony is always a little poor with their messaging considering retailers to be their customers.

We also have data from NDP and other sources. Either Sony's numbers to actual customers are inaccurate, or they have an illogically large customer base in Africa and the Middle East.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

If Nintendo could keep with the production it will be no contest for Switch but I don't think they can produce that many.

Jumpin said:
Barkley said:

7 million shipped *Sold in. VG Chartz tracks numbers sold to customers.

Sony have sold through 7m this year, they have shipped more than that.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Barkley said:

7 million shipped. VG Chartz tracks numbers sold to customers.

No, 60.4m sold to consumers, was 53.4m in January 1st.

60m Shipped was announced in March.

"PlayStation 4 sales have surpassed 60.4 million units to consumers as of June 11. "

JRPGfan said:
Jumpin said:

PS4 4,234,849  7,000,000+
NS 3,488,881

Switch is outselling the PS4 on average per week, despite the current supply constraint.
Typically, Nintendo benefits more from holiday season sales than other companies, and they're targeting 18 million consoles to be produced this year, and this number has risen twice already in the last 3 months, and could rise again over the next 6. More so this year considering PS4 doesn't have as exciting a holiday this year as last year. Switch will also have a stronger summer than PS4, so by the time the holidays come around, it will have surpassed PS4 for the year.

Is that useing VGC data?

But that's the data for April not June, Ps4 didn't sold 7m by the end of April.

Goodnightmoon said:
JRPGfan said:

Is that useing VGC data?

But that's the data for April not June, Ps4 didn't sold 7m in that period of time.

Yes but still shows figures given there for PS4 are well undertracked.

Goodnightmoon said:
JRPGfan said:

Is that useing VGC data?

But that's the data for April not June, Ps4 didn't sold 7m in that period of time.

How much do you think the Switch sells in May?

Barkley said:
Mnementh said:

Well, so far the Switch managed above 200K a week. This probably means around 20K win against the PS4 per week. In 50 weeks the million is made. As holidays are insane, I declare it will be very close. Or Switch sales drop below 200K. In which case PS4 will win.

And to your addendum, that Switch is only available since may: keep in mind that launch moves a lot of units, but it will niot have another launch. So ongoing momentum is relevant here.

Using sony's official figures (7 million since January the 1st) PS4 has averaged 292k per week this year so far. They're on track for this to be PS4's best year.

2015  - 4.9m  (Jan 3rd to June 13th)
2016 -  5.2m (Jan 2nd to June 11th)
2017  - 7m (Jan 1st to June 11th)

Hmm, interesting, thanks for the numbers. I have estimated the PS4 numbers, as they are jumping more around with game releases (Switch numbers are more constrained by supply so far). If PS4 manages to keep above 200K in most weeks, than no chance for Switch. But even in my estimate I said in best case the Switch gets close and may have a chance over holidays, with this the chance is dwindling even in the best case (production levels and demand stays the same).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]