By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch Vs. PS4 games comparison first 81 days

Ka-pi96 said:
Eagle367 said:

Outlast and killzone are relevant? And its all about timing NBA does not release in march and April but it will release on the switch in its time. And didn't switch get dragon quest heroes 1-2 in Japan. That's very relevant

It sold over 2.5m, how is that not relevant?

Tbf he put mk8/zelda and minecraff as not relevant as well

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
hmm, yet I look at Switch and see only 1 game I'd want to buy for it (which wasn't even a launch game!), while there was 3 PS4 games I wanted day 1.

Likewise, me looking back at the PS4 launch all I really wanted was Resogun. And looking at the full 81 days I would add Flower to that, rest are either late ports or not doing it for me.

Zkuq said:
40 games for Switch? I'm seeing only 35. Also, I'm counting at least seven games (Mario Kart 8, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, The Binding of Isaac, Minecraft, World of Goo, I Am Setsuna, Othello) that were released significantly earlier on other platforms. Especially the first five, which are also very highly rated (from 92 to 85), really affect the numbers in Switch's favour despite being years old already. Obviously the games are still enjoyable, but considering their age and popularity, for a lot of people, they're not new anymore. I'm not saying they should be excluded or anything, but counting them as equals with completely new releases also seems wrong.

Take a good look at the PS4 release before complaining about ports for the Switch. The vast majority of games released the first 80 days for PS4 were ports from the earlier gen. That's been the case for some time and is nothing exclusive to the Switch. Ports are a huge part of launches.

All regions included the Switch actually has 59 released games so far.

19 games on the Switch are either exclusive to Nintendosystems and or launched at the same time as other platforms so far. That's actually pretty good for an early console to get that many brand new games.

abronn627 said:
Azuren said:

Nintendo platforms typically launch strong with a healthy supply of First Party titles.

If they can keep up that AAA train of Nintendo blockbusters, it should present a decent challenge for the PS4. However, history dictates that Switch will likely experience long periods of time without any high profile releases, due in part to ONCE AGAIN releasing a platform in a different weight class than everyone else (thus making multiplatform releases of titles like Red Dead Redemption 2 next to impossible).

Do you remember the Wii ? 

This small console was released and then supplied with a steady stream of Nintendo games to maintain momentum. They're doing the same thing with the Switch. All their games are releasing in a scheduled manner to prevent long period without new products, indies and small 3rd parties are filling up the gaps nicely.

Nintendo has success when they're not chasing after AAA 3rd parties and they're clearly not in their plan with the Switch. The WiiU, on the contrary, was dependent on them, but since they never came, you got drought between 1st party titles.

This time around, every AAA will be seen as a nice bonus in their catalog, not a necessity.

Even the Wii U had things relatively under control for the first few weeks. And so far, I would only consider a handful of titles to be high profile. You've got BotW and MK8 (both transplants) released already, and down the road you've got Splatoon 2. There's also Xenoverse 2 making the move, as well as a few low-budget titles from the "already released elsewhere quite a while ago" spectrum.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Mbolibombo said:
Zkuq said:
40 games for Switch? I'm seeing only 35. Also, I'm counting at least seven games (Mario Kart 8, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, The Binding of Isaac, Minecraft, World of Goo, I Am Setsuna, Othello) that were released significantly earlier on other platforms. Especially the first five, which are also very highly rated (from 92 to 85), really affect the numbers in Switch's favour despite being years old already. Obviously the games are still enjoyable, but considering their age and popularity, for a lot of people, they're not new anymore. I'm not saying they should be excluded or anything, but counting them as equals with completely new releases also seems wrong.

Take a good look at the PS4 release before complaining about ports for the Switch. The vast majority of games released the first 80 days for PS4 were ports from the earlier gen. That's been the case for some time and is nothing exclusive to the Switch. Ports are a huge part of launches.

All regions included the Switch actually has 59 released games so far.

19 games on the Switch are either exclusive to Nintendosystems and or launched at the same time as other platforms so far. That's actually pretty good for an early console to get that many brand new games.

I think I'm not seeing a lot of old games re-released for PS4 during the first three months, unless most of the titles I don't recognize are some sort of re-releases, and certainly not a vast majority. Half-assed ports, maybe, but released at the same time (more or less), so new experiences anyway, which, I think, is way more important.

I don't really have anything against Switch's lineup so far. It could be better, but you can say that about practically every console launch ever. I just think this comparison is deeply flawed and wanted to point it out.

EDIT: The 35 part in the beginning is also wrong, I just forgot it there. There were 35 visible by default, with the rest hidden because of having so few reviews. After writing that part, I figured I might have missed something and then I found it... and forgot what I had written.

Around the Network

I was hoping for a thread more like this. I remember another thread comparing the two console's library, but with both current libraries, which seems ridiculous and unfair, and would only serve to push an agenda. This seems to be a more fair and interesting comparison to open discussion about.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Lawlight said:
crissindahouse said:

This list is unfair if it comes to the amount of games.

PS4 had such an advantage with releasing in the holiday season which means it got all the bigger PS360 games which released for holiday and devs released games for it even when they were only half done just to have it out before Christmas. These games would have released much later otherwise

I'd say that December is usually a very slow month compared to Mar, Apr, May which puts the PS4 as a disadvantage here, on top of the launches not being aligned.

Next time I use  more smileys, sorry.

Switch is the best

Miguel_Zorro said:
So the Switch got two Shovel Knight games whereas the competition only got one. That makes the Switch twice as good. Also the Switch version is from 2017 while the competition is stuck with some old, 2015 version.

You do know the competition also has the Shovel Knight DLC, right?

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

pokoko said:
Ka-pi96 said:
hmm, yet I look at Switch and see only 1 game I'd want to buy for it (which wasn't even a launch game!), while there was 3 PS4 games I wanted day 1.

That's just messed up.  You're supposed to do everything based on scores handed down by a small group of strangers.  That's how civilization works.  Go back to your ice cave until you can evolve some culture.

But I'm sick of mammoth meat, mom!