By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could a Zelda JRPG work?

Y'all. JRPG is an RPG made by Japanese devs. And vice versa for western RPGs.

That being said, Zelda is already an Action JRPG to me, so.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network

There already is a Zelda RPG. It's called Zelda 2 on NES. Botw can be argued it's an RPG.

StarOcean said:
KrspaceT said:

I'll admit my understanding of RPG vs JRPG is less region of origin and more: RPG is Kingdom Hearts, JRPG Is Pokemon. 

I'd argue Pokemon falls under RPG more than it does JRPG. KH is much more JRPGzy than Pokemon

Sorry DP . But I don't know what this means. They are both a JRPG. Ultima in 1981 the first western RPG video game...is turn based. Dragon Slayer in 1983 the first Japanese developed RPG...is action. Western games at that time took after Dungeon's & Drgaons so they were turn based. Japan until DQ was either Action or the Bump system. Bump system is quasi turn based but also action.  Western devs still do turn based in Fallout. Dragon Age Origin's is turn based. Turn based or action does not determine JRPG or WRPG.

I'd be ok with a turn based one as long as it's considered more of a spin-off. I wouldn't want a mainline Zelda game to be like that. But I absolutely wouldn't want any Zelda to be like Fire Emblem. That's a little too much of a genre change.

I dunno. Weapon degradation in a JRPG sounds horrible.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Yes easily. They could also easily make a Paper Zelda series if they wanted to.

They could easily turn Zelda into a open world JRPG. It's pretty much already one.

Why not! Hyrule Warriors really worked.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

No thanks. Keep it the way is it.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:
I dunno. Weapon degradation in a JRPG sounds horrible.

It sounds horrible regardless of whether it's a JRPG or not

According to every non Jim Sterling critic, you are wrong.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.