By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Safari hunter Killed During Hunt

Good.

Don't shoot animals.

Around the Network

As someone who generally disapproves of hunting, the way this thread is framed is honestly disappointing. The man was operating legally, and while his value system is different than mine, that's certainly no reason to celebrate the death of a human being.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

vivster said:
Nautilus said:
Why this disrespectful title?He may have been a hunter and all, but he was still a person.I understand you dont like that, but be respectful.The man surely has a family, just like you and me.

Nah. Why respect someone in death that you cannot respect in life? Why not be happy that earth has one less harmful individual? Do you hate animals that much?

You didn't know the man enough to say if you can respect him. Taking one moment of someone's life and judging them for it is not an appropriate way to judge someone. How would you like it if we judged you based solely on your lowest moments in life.

I am sorry for his five kids, provided he was a decent father, but I can't say I'm sorry for him.

twintail said:
m0ney said:

Seriously? He was a mass murderer. Should have happened 30 years sooner.

He was in a legal business...

That's a really bad defense for a lot of things. A lot of legal things can be and are considered bad. A common example would be evading taxes, which is often done using perfectly legal loopholes.

Nautilus said:
Turkish said:

Processed red meat=carcinogen

Red meat=probable carcinogen

Dont believe me, ask the World Health Organization.

The world functioned without fast foods before Mcdonalds arrived and it could still function without them.

If that were the case, and if prolonged "exposure" to red meat were anywhere that harmful, humanity would be long extint.

I think it goes without saying that everything in excess is bad for your health, and can even be fatal.Thats where that harmful aspect of meat probably comes from.I mean, it cant be healthy to just eat meat.But that applies to virtually everything.I mean, even nuts can be fatal if you eat enough of them.(Brazillian nuts, if Im not mistaken, can become poisonous if you eat too many of them).Im too lazy to research now, but Im 99,99999% sure the same can be said to vegetables, other types of meat, derivates from milk, and so on.

What makes your comment especially ignorant is that just because processed red meat is carcinogen(and that only happens when you keep eating excessively for years and years), and it highly likely it is so because of quimical products on it, you say that the normal red meat is also carcinogen.Its the same ignorance to say that vegetables and fruits are bad for your health just because the "industrialized ones", the ones that they use chimical products to increase productivity, extent its life and so on,  can be harmful for your health if you eat too many of them for too long.

To the last comment, I mean, yeah of course it did.But then again, we are not living in caves anymore and we dont need tecnology to live.But its an option and a nice one at that.

The amount of meat people should eat is really small, if I recall correctly. It probably (but not necessarily, as I don't know the details well enough) makes even relatively small amounts of meat excessive.

Around the Network
method114 said:
vivster said:

Nah. Why respect someone in death that you cannot respect in life? Why not be happy that earth has one less harmful individual? Do you hate animals that much?

You didn't know the man enough to say if you can respect him. Taking one moment of someone's life and judging them for it is not an appropriate way to judge someone. How would you like it if we judged you based solely on your lowest moments in life.

Hunting wasn't a 'moment' of his life. Quite largely, it was his life.

Just because it's legal in one or some countries doesn't mean it's ethically acceptable.

Obviously killing endangered animals is not ethically acceptable and completely prohibited in most states on Earth.
Same could be said about death sentence, sodomy, cannibalism etc.

Zkuq said:
twintail said:

He was in a legal business...

That's a really bad defense for a lot of things. A lot of legal things can be and are considered bad. A common example would be evading taxes, which is often done using perfectly legal loopholes.

Nautilus said:

If that were the case, and if prolonged "exposure" to red meat were anywhere that harmful, humanity would be long extint.

I think it goes without saying that everything in excess is bad for your health, and can even be fatal.Thats where that harmful aspect of meat probably comes from.I mean, it cant be healthy to just eat meat.But that applies to virtually everything.I mean, even nuts can be fatal if you eat enough of them.(Brazillian nuts, if Im not mistaken, can become poisonous if you eat too many of them).Im too lazy to research now, but Im 99,99999% sure the same can be said to vegetables, other types of meat, derivates from milk, and so on.

What makes your comment especially ignorant is that just because processed red meat is carcinogen(and that only happens when you keep eating excessively for years and years), and it highly likely it is so because of quimical products on it, you say that the normal red meat is also carcinogen.Its the same ignorance to say that vegetables and fruits are bad for your health just because the "industrialized ones", the ones that they use chimical products to increase productivity, extent its life and so on,  can be harmful for your health if you eat too many of them for too long.

To the last comment, I mean, yeah of course it did.But then again, we are not living in caves anymore and we dont need tecnology to live.But its an option and a nice one at that.

The amount of meat people should eat is really small, if I recall correctly. It probably (but not necessarily, as I don't know the details well enough) makes even relatively small amounts of meat excessive.

Yeaaaa, that is extremely debatable.Not saying that you dont evidence to back this up, but science keeps changing its mind on how much to eat something is healthy or not.And I mean, we have been eating meat forever, and taking out exceptions, it was never harmful.Its the same about that "the healthiest way to eat is to eat something every 3 hours".I mean, that can be true, but you wont live a less fulfilling or shorter life for not doing that.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Heh, that's ironic for sure.

Hiku said:
Nautilus said:

Fair enough, even though I still think that the example you gave and what actually happened are two different scenarios.

What I think its really wrong with this thread is the way the OP treats the situation.You may think that the guy for being a hunter, deserved it and all.But he "payed his dues"?He was still a man, one that had a wife and five children, and that just  began on this business because he needed the momey for college.What Im saying is, its not a black and white situation.

Yeah, this wasn't for sport. He does it for a living, which is a mitigating factor. You need money to survive.
However, although the cruelty of even killing animals for food/to survive can be argued, and I understand those opinions as well, I think there's a distinct difference between that and killing them to sell as trophies. Where the elephants killed for their meat? Or just for the tusks? Because that happens as well. And there were apparently photos of him with elephant tusks posted.
And I would question what kind óf person would take such a job, unless they absolutely had no better choice.

It really falls down to personal tastes or personalities really.I think the answer to the question you proposed would be the same for a question that you could make to a hooker for example.In my opinion, being a hooker, either man or woman, is shameful and denegrating to say the very least, but it dosent mean that the person itself is bad.It just means that, outside of the possibility that she/he does that by necessity, he/she prefers that line of work, or simply put, gives much more money than the alternatives.In that scenario, would you judge the person because of his job too?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1