By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would you trust Sony enough to buy a PSP 3?

Would you trust Sony enough to buy a PSP 3?

Yes, I would buy a PSP3 with confidence! 157 29.79%

Maybe, I would wait a yea... 124 23.53%

No, how they treated the ... 246 46.68%

Total:527
animegaming said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Sony is one of the most trusted companies in the world and always delivers quality products. The PSP 3 will be a huge success!

Except when it comes to movies they're pretty shit at making those.

Or broaden your horizons, considering they tend to have Oscar films every year

Preston Scott

Around the Network

Vita failed for many reasons but it was a low R&D device being just ARM and powervr based. I can see them developing something from a good mobile chipset but maybe x86 this time.

I think the Switch has shown people like the use on the go and then dock for the big screen experience. I think if they went for a device with a 7nm fabrication process but only lowish performance in a mobile handset it could succeed. Basically a full featured phone, that also includes a gaming pad cradle (including battery pack) and then a small dock by your tv that gives big screen tv output as well as charging the phone.

The phone would have a dual android os and sony os. Maybe a 720p screen but only a 4.5-5.5" size feature maybe 2GB memory, 32GB storage and one micro sd card. It's performance level would be about 120 gflops but with superior cpu and memory bandwidth performance giving some improvements over Switch. It could be used all day as your main phone but limited battery life for gaming like a typical phone. It would be based on a 7nm fabrication process or similar.

The game cradle adds ds4 compatible controls, an extra micro sd slot and a large battery which boosts battery life by 3x. It would end up resembling the Vita when in the cradle.

Dock simply adds hdmi output, charging and allows a usb 2.5 hard drive to be connected.

On its own the device can play touch screen android games, all the normal apps etc as a full feature phone.

In the cradle it can play it's own games, plus ps1, vita and psp games natively. It can also remotely play ps4 and ps5 games. Also ps3 games using the subscription service I forget the name of.

While docked you can remote play using standard ds4/ds5 controllers of course as well as its native games and android games.

The price of the device at launch £169 solus, £199 with cradle (£50 on its own) and docks at £25.

Launched with ps5 creating a gaming environment that spreads across mobile, home and VR.

The other hardware I think would be good is a VR headset the phone slots into for light VR experiences and also a small LED projector that the device slots into no bigger than an old VHS cassette. Just for playing games with multiple people on the go or watching movies etc.

It's all easy tech. It's similar but doesn't directly compete with Switch but uses some of its concepts. It also gives Sony great marketing potential as it will do a degree have some control on what you see in your day to day life as your psn account is linked with your google account.

It doesn't step on the sales potential of their main consoles as it only performs to a low level like Switch. There is no boost mode. It operates at the same performance whether mobile, in the cradle or docked natively (it's too small for improved cooling). However when the user has a ps5 the games are remotely processed on that system and streamed to the console so all its own games run at 4k 60fps as an option or you can play them natively at a low 720p resolution on your tv. I.e. if you play android games on your tv using this device docked they are actually processed on the ps5 and are always 4k 60fps. If the ps5 introduces ps2 or ps3 backwards compatibility, I don't suppose they will but its probably powerful enough to emulate then those can be remotely played too. The ps5 also has the ability to drop to 1080p 60fps if there are 2 devices connected that need remote processing.

The device would be powered by a AMD x86 soc chip. Something like a dual core at 2ghz. Giving it perhaps 2x the cpu performance of Switch but slightly reduced graphics performance of Switch portable mode.

Value wise the fact that you could fit the device into your existing sony system at home and benefit from the bonus monthly games too means compared to Switch value is massively improved.

Anyway that's my take on a Sony portable. I could see it being a huge success personally but even if it sold only Vita numbers close to 20 million I still reckon its worth doing for all the benefits it brings Sony and the lack of R&D costs needed. Being x86 based pretty much the same developers can knock out a game for ps4, ps5 and this device for game experiences that don't rely on high gpu or cpu resources.

When mobile you could watch your friends play their games or even make comments as they play etc. With the VR visor you could see through their eyes what they are playing in VR a sort of ghost mode because its only streaming 360 degree video to you while wearing your VR headset. Yes its only a 720p screen so the quality will be basic but ideal because of lower network requirements i.e. the ps4 or ps5 only has to stream a lower quality 720p 360 degree video image. Great fun at lunchtimes to follow your friends gameplay making comments about all the things he is doing wrong in the game.

DaveTheMinion13 said:
I mean people still trust nintendo after the Wii U, so why not....Vita was bigger than the wii u at least....and still has games coming out all year for it 😶 not like the vita is completely stranded

Regardless to which is "bigger", Nintendo themselves supported the WiiU considerably better than Sony did the Vita. It'd be reasonable for some to be mistrustful of Nintendo's ability to attract strong 3rd party support, but Nintendo's platforms always deliver on their minimum expectation (having some good Nintendo games).

It's also worth noting that as far as the Switch goes, it's presented as the successor to two systems. The WiiU could have been a burning dumpster fire in every respect and many would still have faith in the Switch because of the 3DS.

DaveTheMinion13 said:
animegaming said:

Except when it comes to movies they're pretty shit at making those.

Or broaden your horizons, considering they tend to have Oscar films every year

Well explain this huge loss? 

http://deadline.com/2017/04/sony-pictures-division-reports-719-loss-overall-net-profit-down-half-1202078945/

And their 2014 hack proves that they just might be the most incompentant company in the film industry and the PR disaster that was Ghostbusters 2016 and their handling of Spder-Man and having people like Tom Rothmen someone whose handling of big of big blockbuster movies has been so bad it makes what Don Mattrick did to the Xbox brand look like Nintendo releasing the NES after the crash. 

Also when was the last time they even had a film nomniated for best picture? 

Soundwave said:

I just don't buy it. 

You can't get 1 TFLOP+ (FP32) performance in a sub-15 watt power envelope (including your LCD display). 

Not yet. Maybe in 2-3 years. The die shrink new PS4 and XB1 Slim models at 16nm still consume 70 watts+ when running games. 

Not to mention memory bandwidth as a huge problem too ... the PS4 has 176GB/sec of bandwidth ... the best you can get in portable products right now is 50GB/sec. You can't just magically have PS4 games run with 1/3 the memory bandwidth even if you could by some miracle get a mobile processor that can run x86 code at 1.8 TFLOP. 

I agree, PS4 performance in a (normal sized) handheld ain't possible yet. PS3 performance on the other hand should be possible.

So if Sony should offer a new handheld like this, I would buy it even without exclusive content:

• based on the PS4 architecture, even with less performance
  • performance in the PS3 area
  • weight and size between Vita and Switch
  • all buttons of a dualshock controller included
  • 720p or 1080p display
  • fully compatible to the Vita (including PS1 + PSP compatibility)
  • many emulated PS2 games (cross-buy or cheaper, if you already have the digital PS2 version)
  • many ported PS3 titles (cross-buy or cheaper, if you already have the digital PS3 version)
  • compatible to less demanding PS4 games (cross-buy, so free if you already have the digital PS4 version)

It would be a PlayStation handheld, that could play most PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita titles and some less demanding PS4 titles (so most PS4 games included in PS+). Vita games that already support 720p on PS TV would use the higher resolution and the emulator could render PS1, PS2 and PSP games in higher resolutions.

Around the Network
DaveTheMinion13 said:

I mean people still trust nintendo after the Wii U, so why not....Vita was bigger than the wii u at least....and still has games coming out all year for it 😶 not like the vita is completely stranded. Not sure why people don't treat Nintendo the same way. 

But Nintendo still made games for it all throughout it's life, even right up to the Switch's release with Breath of the Wild in 2017. Sony just left the Vita to die, wouldn't even mention it's name at E3 after a few years. They just seen PS4's success and focused on that cause the PS Vita wasn't being successful for them. Nintendo could of done the same with the Wii U and only focus on 3DS, but did they? No.

So if your asking why people don't treat Nintendo the same way, it's becasue Nintendo didn't abandon the Wii U 2 years after it's release, they actually developed and release multiple titles and tried to help the platform perform better. They made exclusive deals with Platinum for Bayonetta 2, Capcom for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and make deals with Atlus for Toyko Mirage Sessions #FE, Koei Techmo for Hyrule Warriors.

Did you see Sony trying that hard for the Vita?

Infact the Wii U if anything gives more trust in Nintendo,

Because it was losing them money, failing misserably, but did that stop them from supporting it with some of the best games they've ever made and from making deals with other developers to help it and cater it's userbase? No.

The question we should be asking is if Sony does make a PSP 3 and it fails; 'do you trust Sony to still support it?'

I know my answer for if the Switch fails, and it's a 'yes' because they already did it for Wii U. But Sony other hand didn't for the PS Vita.

You skipping steps. There has to be a PSP2 first. Why do you think I've been waiting for that? lol

bonzobanana said:

Anyway that's my take on a Sony portable. I could see it being a huge success personally but even if it sold only Vita numbers close to 20 million I still reckon its worth doing for all the benefits it brings Sony and the lack of R&D costs needed. Being x86 based pretty much the same developers can knock out a game for ps4, ps5 and this device for game experiences that don't rely on high gpu or cpu resources.

I really liked your post, I agree with it in many ways, and disagree in some, but overall it is great thinking outside of the traditional console/handheld box. 

The quoted part I agree with highly. The fact that Sony is using standard CPU/GPU tech from AMD with minor optimization for their OS and Ecosystem, and they have moved too scalable game engines even in house thanks to PS4 Pro, the idea of other products in the PlayStation ecosystem makes a ton of sense. The R&D is a team effort between them, AMD, and the rest of AMD's parteners. They are basically building a cart of AMD tech and having a high yeild, high volume chip made. The risk is extreamly low, the investment is basically at a marketing level only, as the OS, Software, and Services are already built. 

As I have already said, I fully trust Sony with another Handheld. I think it only makes since if it can be put on your cell plan as a phone. I am extreamly impressed with the support they gave Vita in the face of its massive faliure. I still use my Vita every day, and in my opnion it was the best Phone on the market until they killed Skype about a month ago. If Sony delivered a Mobile PlayStation built around the PS4 ecosystem, I would be all over it. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I have a question just out of curiosity;

If Sony did make a PSP 3, and it failed do you trust them to still support it?

Because if the answer is 'no', then can you fully trust Sony at making another handheld?

Sure we could trust Sony to support it if does become a success, we could trust Sony that they could make a successful portable this time around. But with the chance of it performing no better than the PS Vita, do you trust Sony to support it any better than did with the Vita.

Don't worry if there will ever be a psp 3 hardware wise i'm sure it'll be a masterpiece maybe it'll even be a so called hybrid console(it may even function as a ps5+psp 3 hybrid).