By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would you trust Sony enough to buy a PSP 3?

Would you trust Sony enough to buy a PSP 3?

Yes, I would buy a PSP3 with confidence! 157 29.79%

Maybe, I would wait a yea... 124 23.53%

No, how they treated the ... 246 46.68%

Total:527
Bandorr said:
Soundwave said:

Switch is 8 weeks old and has like 50 games available for it. Give it some time. 

50? I'd love to see that list. Are you counting JP only games like DQ Heroes 1-2,  Xenoverse 2 etc?

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Has Been Heroes

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+

Blaster Master Zero

1-2-Switch

Just Dance 2017

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove

Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!

Super Bomberman R

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Galaxy Fight: Universal Warriors

Thumper

Garou: Mark of the Wolves

Dark Witch Music Episode: Rudymical

NBA Playgrounds

Blazing Star

TumbleSeed

Over Top

KAMIKO

Puyo Puyo Tetris

Fatal Fury

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

Samurai Shodawn IV

Mr. Shifty

The Jackbox Party Pack 3

LEGO® CITY Undercover

Metal Slug

Metal Slug 3

Snake Pass

Turf Masters

ALPHA MISSION II

Graceful Explosion Machine

Vroom in the Night Sky

New Frontier Days ~Founding Pioneers~

Othello

Human Resource Machine

Little Inferno

World of Goo

NAM-1975

Shock Troopers

The King of Fighters '94

The King of Fighters '98

WAKU WAKU 7

World Heroes Perfect

VOEZ

Fast RMX

I am Setsuna

SKYLANDERS® IMAGINATORS

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
KBG29 said:
I would only buy another mobile PlayStation device if it was part of the PS4 ecosystem, and it had 4G + Calling and Texting. A stand alone handheld platform is a terrible idea, and Sony doesn't have the man power to support it.

A mobilized version of the PS4 OS with Full support for PS4 Software, Apps, and Services would have a good chance at success as it would automatically be supported due to sharing the PS4 library and tech.

As for the rumor I think we will see an even more high end version of the PS4. I have predicted it since lanch. When Sony and MS went to X86 and Standard GPU tech, the writting was on the wall for a scalable ecosystem.

I expect new consoles nearly every year, with generational gaps coming once per decade if that. The tech world has changed and consoles have to change wih it or die. Sony and Nintendo have to adapt because games are their biggest business, they can not afford for consoles to die off.

I just don't buy it. 

You can't get 1 TFLOP+ (FP32) performance in a sub-15 watt power envelope (including your LCD display). 

Not yet. Maybe in 2-3 years. The die shrink new PS4 and XB1 Slim models at 16nm still consume 70 watts+ when running games. 

Not to mention memory bandwidth as a huge problem too ... the PS4 has 176GB/sec of bandwidth ... the best you can get in portable products right now is 50GB/sec. You can't just magically have PS4 games run with 1/3 the memory bandwidth even if you could by some miracle get a mobile processor that can run x86 code at 1.8 TFLOP. 

I agree with you. I do not expect a PS4 handheld/phone until 2019 - 2020 if they do it. The best they could do this year would be something in the form of a laptop. I think they could bring the power down to less the 50 Watts for base PS4 devices for this year.

Lke I said though, as far as this rumor is concerned I think we will more than likely see or hear about a higher end PS4 model that really pushes 4K and PSVR. Sony is competing with PC, Facebook, HTC, Smasung, Google, and others in the VR space. If they want to compete seriously they have to offer hardware that keeps them on pace. They have not been shy about the fact that they want to use VR as a platform to elevate them to the same status as Google, Apple, and Microsoft. Their plan is to turn PSVR and PS4 into the iPod/iPhone of this decade.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I'd buy one assuming it's sold at a loss.

Soundwave said:
RolStoppable said:

Nintendo is sitting pretty with Switch, so there's no justification for your panic.

And of course Sony is not making a PSP 3. Why would they? It's clear that they can't compete with Nintendo.

It's not panic, I'm just saying if someone walks over and tries to eat the food off your plate when they already have their own full plate, sometimes it's appropriate to slap them upside the head. - Sony's done it twice already. They deserve everything that's coming.

Agreed Sony won't make a PSP3. If they dare though, IMO Nintendo will go at them this time. No more Mr. Nice Guy. There's just a bunch of headaches Nintendo doesn't need like stupid Japanese developers deciding to split resources between the two platforms. I doubt they'll make a PSP3 (I hope they do though) and I doubt they'll be making a PS6 either.

Stay out Sony, go focus on PS5 and VR, you're not needed here. 

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Sony is one of the most trusted companies in the world and always delivers quality products. The PSP 3 will be a huge success!

Lawlight said:
Kerotan said:

Look at the console.  It's basically a handheld device with the ability to plug into your TV.  People aren't going around holding a portable Wii U in their hands. 

To answer the OP,  no I wouldn't buy.  Not into handheld gaming.  The vita was bought for me as a present.  Never bought a handheld and never will. 

While it may be that, people aren't buying it to play it on the go. Without the TV out, the Switch would have tanked outside of Japan.

It definitely wouldn't have tanked.  it was always going to connect to your TV though.  It was the most logical step for a handheld. 

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Soundwave said:

3DS has still sold a respectable number, it will end up selling more than the NES, SNES, and many other "successful" platforms, while being a budget/kids portable mainly and that sector has been hit very hard by mobile, so that shows Nintendo can still survive even in very harsh conditions. Switch wisely is a more premium product so it has more cover from the smartphone storm. 

Think of it like an evolution where an animal is suddenly thrust into harsh (lets say) winter conditions. Well the Vita just died straight up, 3DS suffered and had some painful experiences, but it's alive and doing alright. The offspring (Switch) has evolved to have greater protection against this new harsh environment. 

The 3DS sales have overperformed because of the many revisions and being a budget portable. Those are ideal conditions and not harsh as you put it. Not all parents would be buying a smartphone for their kids, it's much cheaper to buy 2 3DS than 1 smartphone afterall.

Also, I'm not sure I would call the SNES successful by modern standards. Would you call the PS4 successful if it tapped out at 40M?

Dude what? The 3DS is by no means $30 bucks. You can get a fully functional smartphone with all the basic features included, for less than $100. The 3DS has remained at $200 for most of it's life time, with only the 2DS being discounted down to $80, and the 2DS isn't exactly selling out.

Heck, Vita is currently $200 as well.

Anyway, I would buy it if they library of games has some interesting games. Sony's first party offerings have been generic crap for the last few years, gone are Twisted Metal/Genji/Locoroco/Fat Princess/Siren. So I definitely wouldn't be buying their hardware for the first party games.

No. The Vita was the last Sony gaming product I will buy unless you count their expensive televisions...

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Sony is one of the most trusted companies in the world and always delivers quality products. The PSP 3 will be a huge success!

Except when it comes to movies they're pretty shit at making those.

After what they did with the Vita?, not a chance.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I mean they pretty much never heavily supported the Vita, even early on they did not develop a lot of big first party exclusives for it. Then again pretty much any Sony system relies more on third parties than anything else. So- for someone who dug the Vita for RPG's and indies I definitely would expect them to feel comfortable buying a PSP sequel system

design is a big thing to be honest, if it's a cool looking system that's comfortable then that alone would draw in a lot of people.

I think it's safe to say that there would be a little uncertainty from the masses though given Sony's disregard and lack of care for the Vita. Obviously if Sony was going to heavily invest in bringing out another handheld system though that would PROBABLY suggest they would do SOMETHING different than they did with Vita, presumably one of those things being supported it better in terms of software.... (you would think?)

my automatic reaction is I wouldn't trust them however I'd have to see the product and launch software