By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Valve is not your friend, and Steam is not healthy for gaming"

Uabit said:
vivster said:

Valve is trash, I've been saying that for years. They don't give a shred about their customers or their clients unless they fear massive backlash.
Their practices however do not affect the vast majority of customers so nothing will ever change. But that's kinda the same with any quasi monopoly.

But thanks to PC as an open platform there are always alternatives. Just imagine how terrible it would be if they locked their store to very specific hardware and won't allow you to control or augment the games you purchased. That would be absolutely abysmal.

You mean if Valve went into the console business?

God knows what they'd do, maybe they'd start to charge people twice for their internet with a monthly subscription service like MS, Sony and soon Nintendo will do or something.

Valve wouldn't do that. They're not THAT greedy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I doubt Valve is so bad and the money to be made is so little when especially Japanese devs start to release so many of their games on Steam. In the past they didn't give a damn about PC gaming.

I also love the fact that I can easily give a game back if I try it for an hour and see that it isn't for me. 

Sure, there are some things not perfect and that is something you will find with every bigger company on this planet. Sony, Microsoft and soon Nintendo want money from us to pay for online, money many especially younger people have less to spend on games they would like to buy and so on...

There is no "company X is so great for everyone, let's just condemn the other ones"

Monopolies are not naturally a bad thing. Only when they start charging really expensive prices are they bad, and steam is known for how CHEAP their games are, so I'm not really sure what the op is getting at?

Not surprised OP misses the point. Corporations are not your friend. You are shilling for your beloved Sony, Microsoft, Steam, Nintendo, Blizzard, Respawn (Turkish) for free. Actually not free, taking precious time out of your life to do it.

As long as one is self aware, which Turkish never is. As for steam, i don't need an article to tell me that.

Valve is nowhere near the problem or a monopoly on PC. If anything Steam is the solution and is very helpful. PC gamings biggest and most exploitive monopoly is Microsoft and it has been this way for decades. Windows says hello. 

And that puts things in perspective. Knowing Polygon's reputation with Microsoft makes me question the intentions of this article. 

Around the Network

Lul polygon. Of course the people who are so disconnected would make an article like this

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Pemalite said:

Yeah. Nah. Steam is actually awesome.
And has no issue giving me refunds when requested as per their FAQ.

Plus, Valve has stated that a games sales rate actually picks up after a game has gone on sale than before the sale, netting more overall profit and revenue for a developer/publisher.
A sale is advertising, someone might see their friend play it and decide to purchase it and join in on the fun even after the sale has ended.

Sales also shine a light on a lesser known titles as well.
Older games also tend to hit the top of the sales charts, even decades after their initial release, that brings people into a franchise who might then be inclined to pay for a sequel at full price.

Ergo. Sales are actually a good thing. Seriously, I cannot understand people complaining about cheaper prices. We are consumers. I hope you never bought a second hand game in your life! Developers get nothing out of that.

^This^

It's not surprising to see the article being thumbed up from a guy who isn't that much into the platform, let alone the different ecosystems.

The last thing I want is someone who ins't into the platform, dictating how I game, the prices as well as the modding community. No thank you.

Also the competition with the likes of EA and Ubisoft, as well as Bethesda are all lazy in their own right, especially with their own clients and sales.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Captain_Yuri said:

Lul polygon. Of course the people who are so disconnected would make an article like this

And those disconnected with the platform in general are likely to pass it around  

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

I wonder when the next article putting Steam or PC in a bad light will surface.

Either way Steam is here to stay, just like all the other companies that have their own bad clients, that are all also out to get your money.

Of course steam is evil, they won't allow uncensored eroge.