By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Business culture - Why do Americans go to meetings dressed in gym clothes?

I am not sure if this is just in some American cities, and not others (I can't believe that Los Angeles or New York would find this acceptable), but it seems to be very common. This is something I don't understand. Americans going to important business meetings dressed like they are about to go to the gym to exercise, even though they do not have any plans to exercise that day. This is somewhat true about American office culture too, they will go to the office dressed in gym clothes. Is this because there is some kind of culture among Americans where they always want to look like they are about ready to go and work out? This is also a fad that is catching on in some work places in England as well.

What is the reasoning for it? If anyone does this, I want to know why you choose those kinds of clothing instead of regular clothes?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

The fact that it annoys you all the way in Germany is reason enough to do this imo.

Keep it up lads, why does this thread exist?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
The fact that it annoys you all the way in Germany is reason enough to do this imo.

Keep it up lads, why does this thread exist?

I am simply curious as to why this is done. Where did I say it annoys me? And why would that please you based on my nationality?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Ka-pi96 said:
Because they're smart? Wish more places were like that!

Amen to that, brother. If you have the power and leverage to do it then do it.

Jay-Z: "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man!"

What business are you talking about? Every company as there own standards, sure. But the general standard in most companies in this country is that that would be unacceptable. Upper management major meetings will usually be attended in a suit at large companies. Tie is optional. Middle management meetings depends, often times it's just whatever office attire is. Owners and executive officers of really wealthy companies often opt for just a collared shirt and dress pants for internal meetings, they've got nothing to prove.

And office standards are generally either business casual (collared shirt and dress pants) or slightly below that (collared shirt and jeans). Every company has their own policies though, with some like google foregoing the whole business attire thing. But most companies will not abide you walking in dressed in gym clothes.

Now some employees do get away with stuff like this by constantly whining and threatening to file a hostile work environment complaint or some such, but most of the time no. And of course, this doesn't go in to the fact many larger companies have a uniform of some kind.

And of course, I am describing male attire here.

Around the Network

Many work places are moving away from business formal dress codes.

Firstly most workers and especially women are uncomfortable in such clothes over 8-12 hours.

At an office I work at it, I usually dress more casual but will but on a necklace and show some skin because I like to.

I have no idea what you're talking about and I had no idea this was a thing. That said, I'm not American, so maybe that explains it. But I too would like to hear, after hearing a confirmation to this, why this happens. Doesn't sound bad to me, but it does sound quite curious.

I don't know, but I assumed that for most business meetings formal wear was necessary, so I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to.

Jumpin said:

I am not sure if this is just in some American cities, and not others (I can't believe that Los Angeles or New York would find this acceptable), but it seems to be very common. This is something I don't understand. Americans going to important business meetings dressed like they are about to go to the gym to exercise, even though they do not have any plans to exercise that day. This is somewhat true about American office culture too, they will go to the office dressed in gym clothes. Is this because there is some kind of culture among Americans where they always want to look like they are about ready to go and work out? This is also a fad that is catching on in some work places in England as well.

What is the reasoning for it? If anyone does this, I want to know why you choose those kinds of clothing instead of regular clothes?

Err, this must be a new thing. Only once did I see American businessmen wearing gym clothes and it was in a family fair. The other times they were suited up in spite of the heat wave threatening to melt the building. 

Under most circumstances though, most of our meetings here in Spain are smart casual. 

I think it is directly related to the business you are in.

In my office, we are business casual (NO ties/Jackets at all). Mostly we where jeans and polo shirts or button up shirts. If I am attending a meeting with attorneys or bankers, I where slacks and a button up shirt. But I do that to make them feel more comfortable as their business still has them in ties and jackets.

But it seems to be clearly the type of business that you are in.

It is near the end of the end....