By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Business culture - Why do Americans go to meetings dressed in gym clothes?

Ganoncrotch said:
The fact that it annoys you all the way in Germany is reason enough to do this imo.

Keep it up lads, why does this thread exist?

3 questions:

1. it annoys him how exactly?

2. his post has what to do with germany?

3. why not answer the thread instead?

Around the Network

I'm from germany and I don't know if americans (some of them) can wear gym clothes to attend business.

Pics or it didn't happen.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Thank you for providing all those examples.  Your evidence is truly overwhelming.  As an American, I have no idea what you're talking about, but thankfully you provided proof enough to change my thinking.

That's nothing, though.  I mean, why do so many Germans wear lederhosen  to business meetings?  They going to a festival later?  It looks kind of odd.

Board of Directors for large German Corporation

pokoko said:

Thank you for providing all those examples.  Your evidence is truly overwhelming.  As an American, I have no idea what you're talking about, but thankfully you provided proof enough to change my thinking.

That's nothing, though.  I mean, why do so many Germans wear lederhosen  to business meetings?  They going to a festival later?  It looks kind of odd.

Board of Directors for large German Corporation

Actually that attire is only used in formal situations and big companies at high level. Nowadays people just go without the Hosenträger or completely naked into meetings.

Source: I'm German and currently naked in a meeting.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:

Actually that attire is only used in formal situations and big companies at high level. Nowadays people just go without the Hosenträger or completely naked into meetings.

Source: I'm German and currently naked in a meeting.

Ah, I see.  Such an informative thread.

Different companies will have different policies, even for more white-collar jobs. Ive worked in places that required suits always, other places where I would get away with T-shirts and blue jeans.

My current job is a nice mix, with most people wearing polos or a nice button-up during the week, and going casual on Fridays. Of course...I don't typically deal with customers, and that would obviously change how you want to present yourself.

Edit: I'm American.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

numberwang said:

Now that's what I call proper Jobs clothing.

I work in a software company where the dress code is very loose, meaning you can come to work in your gym clothes if you want. Even with that loose dress code, for business meetings with external customers, partners or associates, its always business formal. I believe what you are seeing is more internal dress for non important meetings. Even upper management is business formal.