By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I'm just curious - how many have seen a 360 RROD?

I didn't have 3 flashing red lights but only one and I had to get it repaired.

Around the Network

I haven't ever seen it in person, but 2 or 3 of the 12 guys I go to an Xbox lan party with say they have experienced it. My console is going on 2 years old and I haven't seen it yet.

I'm sure that some of the bitter posters in this forum will claim that only me and some guy in Nebraska haven't experienced it yet.

The funny this is, I'm not really concerned about it. I have good active ventilation for my 360 and I have a 3-year warranty that would cover it if the dreaded RROD ever did visit.

madskillz said:

Ok, I've been rather busy with my new gig, but I LOL whenever I see someone say 'I won't buy a 360 because of RROD.' I do think it is an issue but one that isn't as bad or widespread as Sony's dirty disk read error with the last gen PS2 (and current as well).

I love this thread. I got a question for you Madskillz.

Do you now realize the problem is bigger then you thought it was?

Most people responding here have seen it, in fact most have had it happen to them (not Sony fanboys). I just want to see if you actually come hear to expand your knowledge, or just spout stuff and learn nothing.

Not trying to sound like a Sony fanboy or anything, but I did see it a lot when I used to work at Circuit City, or hear about it from a customer when they were talking about it with their friends.

Now, I barely "hear" about it or "see" it, but it happened to my brother twice in 2 years.

TheRealMafoo said:
madskillz said:

Ok, I've been rather busy with my new gig, but I LOL whenever I see someone say 'I won't buy a 360 because of RROD.' I do think it is an issue but one that isn't as bad or widespread as Sony's dirty disk read error with the last gen PS2 (and current as well).

Do you now realize the problem is bigger then you thought it was?

Most people responding here have seen it, in fact most have had it happen to them (not Sony fanboys). I just want to see if you actually come hear to expand your knowledge, or just spout stuff and learn nothing.

Based on the stats floating out there, this thread is trying to prove one thing - it's not as high as 70 percent. Anything over 30 percent is high by my standards, but folks are quick to say 'I wouldn't buy a 360 because I am scared it will break.' Sure, any electronic device can break, and MS will have to live with that. What I am saying is the PS2s had DREs (they still do) and folks still bought them. I do think the RROD is one reason, but if the roles were reversed, and the PS3 had the RROD, I think you would still see folks flocking to buy one.

Perception really, really goes a long way. The word Xbox and Microsoft urks some folks. And while it will be hard for MS to shake off the RROD foolishness, even if they make a console variation that has a nearly flawless failure rate, it will forever be panned.

If Sony didn't correct the problem in the PS3, we wouldn't even be having this convo.

Seriously, just read the posts - and look at the number of 360s sold. This is just a tiny sampling of folks who have seen a 360 RROD. It's bad, but that 70 percent failure rate? Every post would have read like a horror story.

Around the Network
madskillz said:
TheRealMafoo said:
madskillz said:

Do you now realize the problem is bigger then you thought it was?

Most people responding here have seen it, in fact most have had it happen to them (not Sony fanboys). I just want to see if you actually come hear to expand your knowledge, or just spout stuff and learn nothing.

Based on the stats floating out there, this thread is trying to prove one thing - it's not as high as 70 percent. Anything over 30 percent is high by my standards, but folks are quick to say 'I wouldn't buy a 360 because I am scared it will break.' Sure, any electronic device can break, and MS will have to live with that. What I am saying is the PS2s had DREs (they still do) and folks still bought them. I do think the RROD is one reason, but if the roles were reversed, and the PS3 had the RROD, I think you would still see folks flocking to buy one.

Perception really, really goes a long way. The word Xbox and Microsoft urks some folks. And while it will be hard for MS to shake off the RROD foolishness, even if they make a console variation that has a nearly flawless failure rate, it will forever be panned.

If Sony didn't correct the problem in the PS3, we wouldn't even be having this convo.

Seriously, just read the posts - and look at the number of 360s sold. This is just a tiny sampling of folks who have seen a 360 RROD. It's bad, but that 70 percent failure rate? Every post would have read like a horror story.

I think you misunderstand the 70% number (or, at least, the one I commonly see on the net). It's not that 70% have failed, it's that 70% will fail. Give it time, and more RRoDs will appear, if that number is true. For me, when making a choice over which console to buy, that was unforgiveably shoddy console design by Microsoft.

What we can say for certain is that the RRoD % is very high already, and the 360 hasn't been on the market for very long. If reports of 33% of 360s failing are true, the end number will obviously be far higher. You may be happy to accept that, I'm not.

Finally, it's possible RRoD has been largely resolved now. However, it's also possible it hasn't. Only time will tell. Some will be happy to accept this risk, others won't.

madskillz said:

Based on the stats floating out there, this thread is trying to prove one thing - it's not as high as 70 percent. Anything over 30 percent is high by my standards, but folks are quick to say 'I wouldn't buy a 360 because I am scared it will break.'

So if you were going to drop $400 on something, and it had a 29% chance of not working, that's not to high?

The average failure rate in the first 3 to 4 years on consumer electronics, is 15%, with Ipods coming in at 15% and laptops being the highest at 22%. It makes sense for these things to be high, as they are designed to take on the go.

The 360 will eclipse all these figures once it hits 4 years. Why that is inconsequential to you is beyond me.

Thanks though for answering the question. It's what I figured :) 

I've seen 3. One in Meijer one at Game crazy and one at another store(bb i think). I called yelled at by an employee because I was laughing at the note on the 360 that the store put up. He told me not to touch it. He was very depressed it seemed. The other one in game crazy was in a metal case with holes. I couldn't really investigate but I could see them. The one at BB was when the 360 first came out. I didn't even know what the RRoD was then. I just remember trying to play it but it wouldn't let me.

And a boss of mine told me about his experience. They told him about the fan and then after it broke again it voided his warranty.

I've had 2 RROD happen to me, in the middle of the second one now I hope I get it back before GTA 4 is released. :(

Well i had one rrod.