By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I'm just curious - how many have seen a 360 RROD?

Hawk said:
I like how the PS2 DRE is now being made out to not be as big of a problem as it was by some Sony fans. I'm on my 4th PS2. All three times it was replaced were due to DRE.

Its not like the console is broken, it usually just needs cleaning if it is having DRE.  I used the same cleaner that fixed both of My PS2's DRE problems on our DVD player in the living room because it was not playing things back very well, and guess what?  It worked much better after that.  Optical disc drives get too dirty to work sometimes and they need to be cleaned.  I will say it seems to happen a little bit more frequently with the PS2 than with other electronics, but it is easily fixable yourself.  It isn't something that HAS to be shipped to the manufacturer to fix.

Order this for $12 and anytime you have problems with a DVD optical drive reading discs or specifically with the PS2 it will fix it over 95% of the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Innovations-60120-00-Cleandoctor-Cleaner/dp/B0007U9SRE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207939172&sr=1-2 

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

after reading this thread i would like to assume that out of the 18 million 360s bought a good amount have had to repurchase a 360 for the following reasons

A. MS voided peoples warranty because of external fans of people who just wanted to lower the risk of their faulty product

B. People are assuming newer models are less likely to break so they are trying to buy another one to avoid MS faulty product

Congrats MS you are raising your console sales by selling crap HW and being out on the market longer than everyone else so you made people not want to restart a game library so they re buy your console because its familiar and they have games for it.

akuma587 said:
Hawk said:
I like how the PS2 DRE is now being made out to not be as big of a problem as it was by some Sony fans. I'm on my 4th PS2. All three times it was replaced were due to DRE.

Its not like the console is broken, it usually just needs cleaning if it is having DRE. I used the same cleaner that fixed both of My PS2's DRE problems on our DVD player in the living room because it was not playing things back very well, and guess what? It worked much better after that. Optical disc drives get too dirty to work sometimes and they need to be cleaned. I will say it seems to happen a little bit more frequently with the PS2 than with other electronics, but it is easily fixable yourself. It isn't something that HAS to be shipped to the manufacturer to fix.

Order this for $12 and anytime you have problems with a DVD optical drive reading discs or specifically with the PS2 it will fix it over 95% of the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Innovations-60120-00-Cleandoctor-Cleaner/dp/B0007U9SRE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207939172&sr=1-2

I regularly cleaned them. I even opened up each of the PS2s and adjusted the angle the disc was held to fix the DREs each time. But I could only fix it so many times before they wouldn't read the disc at all. The power supply was another possible cause, but I'm terrible with power, I wasn't going to troubleshoot it, and once the adjusting the disc angle couldn't fix it anymore, I'd replace them.

They were broken.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

I had 4 buddies with dre back in the day, and they had to buy new ps2's. I had 1 bud with RRod out of 5, and had to send it off to get another one. The one he got back has been fine for about 6 months.