By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I'm just curious - how many have seen a 360 RROD?

My girlfriend's nephew got the Ring on Sunday. 100% failure rate amongst my aquaintences. His 360 put up a good fight, though. The guy seemed to NEVER turn his 360 off. He had it for about 6 months, and bought it used.

Around the Network

I've had 1 RROD, and I saw it blink again a few nights ago. I let it cool off for a night and it's working fine for the moment... next time it RROD on me, I'll just upgrade to a newer model. I don't want to go throught the hassle of sending it to repairs again.

Any console that has a built in display telling you how broken it is, probablly isn't worth buying. I know 4 people with a 360, 3 of them have had the RROD, but only saw one personally

"I am a rebel, I play Wii without the wrist strap!"

NES, Master system, SNES, N64, GC, PC, DS, PS3, Wii Owner.

TheBigFatJ said:

Madskillz: so would you say it's likely that the PS2 DRE errors are much less common than the 360 RROD? I think most people would agree with that.

You have to realize with failure rates you typically look at stuff over the expected age of the product. So for the 360, you might look at failure rates over the first 5 years of its life, since it is expected to last five years. If the failure rate is more than, say, 5%, that's outside of the normal range for electronics. A 3% failure rate would be close to normal for the lifetime of a product.

That said, it's worth mentioning that I dug throught the Somethingawful "My 360 borked" thread a bit more, and noticed some failures from Xbox 360s purchased this year. In fact, on the first page of this very thread a user posted that he bought his 360 in December of 2007 and it failed a few weeks later.

or people are lying ? or RRoD is just as common as dog in street and cat in house ?

People aren't lying. The machine is freakin unrealiable. MS set aside about 1.1 billion dollars, above and beyond their normal support costs, to deal with this problem -- do you really think they'd need that kind of cash to deal with something that isn't very common?

winner of the thread

My 360 red ringed.

So I played hockey with it for half an hour. You guys can thank me later for permanently taking a faulty 360 out of circulation.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

I know 5 people who own 360 . Only the first one who bought the machine at launch had the 3 lights...

rocketpig said:
My 360 red ringed.

So I played hockey with it for half an hour. You guys can thank me later for permanently taking a faulty 360 out of circulation.

Microsoft will put it right back in to circulation, don't worry.

TheBigFatJ said:

Madskillz: so would you say it's likely that the PS2 DRE errors are much less common than the 360 RROD? I think most people would agree with that.

You have to realize with failure rates you typically look at stuff over the expected age of the product. So for the 360, you might look at failure rates over the first 5 years of its life, since it is expected to last five years. If the failure rate is more than, say, 5%, that's outside of the normal range for electronics. A 3% failure rate would be close to normal for the lifetime of a product.

That said, it's worth mentioning that I dug throught the Somethingawful "My 360 borked" thread a bit more, and noticed some failures from Xbox 360s purchased this year. In fact, on the first page of this very thread a user posted that he bought his 360 in December of 2007 and it failed a few weeks later.

or people are lying ? or RRoD is just as common as dog in street and cat in house ?

People aren't lying. The machine is freakin unrealiable. MS set aside about 1.1 billion dollars, above and beyond their normal support costs, to deal with this problem -- do you really think they'd need that kind of cash to deal with something that isn't very common?

@ BigFatJ

Yeah, I am saying the PS2 DRE is more common than the RROD. Not saying that the 360 is the benchmark of reliability, but based on the numbers of PS2s, and the fact that the problem is still there, yeah, it's much, much more common than the 360's RROD.

What I wanted to see is - if folks would be honest and say if they had seen a 360 with an RROD. I truly suspect that the only way is for MS to give a detailed repair facility(ies) chart to reveal what they have received. A lot of the RROD 360s have included modded ones and ones that weren't well ventilated. And based on the number of folks on this site, it's suspect to believe 360 haters would be completely honest and say something nice about a console they hate.

What this has been is a lesson in futility. Unless every respondent has a lie-detector strapped on before answering, I think some of the posts are purely figments of imagination.

I myself have had an RROD, but the system worked fine afterward. I don't sit in fear, wondering if my machine is gonna break. So what if it does. The PS2 proved one thing - folks would support the devil out of it, even if it was reliable as a girl that has stood you up 5 times in a row.

madskillz said:
TheBigFatJ said:

@ BigFatJ

Yeah, I am saying the PS2 DRE is more common than the RROD. Not saying that the 360 is the benchmark of reliability, but based on the numbers of PS2s, and the fact that the problem is still there, yeah, it's much, much more common than the 360's RROD.

What I wanted to see is - if folks would be honest and say if they had seen a 360 with an RROD. I truly suspect that the only way is for MS to give a detailed repair facility(ies) chart to reveal what they have received. A lot of the RROD 360s have included modded ones and ones that weren't well ventilated. And based on the number of folks on this site, it's suspect to believe 360 haters would be completely honest and say something nice about a console they hate.

What this has been is a lesson in futility. Unless every respondent has a lie-detector strapped on before answering, I think some of the posts are purely figments of imagination.

I myself have had an RROD, but the system worked fine afterward. I don't sit in fear, wondering if my machine is gonna break. So what if it does. The PS2 proved one thing - folks would support the devil out of it, even if it was reliable as a girl that has stood you up 5 times in a row.

i bolded where you failed. sorry, RROD is CONSIDERABLY more widespread than DRE ever has been or will be.

how many people actually open up and mod their 360s? lol

sorry madskillz but the evidence is overwhelming, the RROD is HUGE, your denial is nothing short of pathetic.

I like how the PS2 DRE is now being made out to not be as big of a problem as it was by some Sony fans. I'm on my 4th PS2. All three times it was replaced were due to DRE.

OT: Between myself, my brother, and my Dad, we have had to replace an Xbox 360 or Hard Drive four times. Only once was the RRoD (three red quadrants). My brother and Father had to have their Hard Drive replaced (Two red quadrants? I forget). The other time was because the console would freeze every five to ten minutes.

I think people are lumping everything into RRoD. Though, still, I can understand, I do think the 360 is the most unreliable console to date. But the PS2 was very close behind. Even though some people are trying to down play it.

Also, I hope people are not thinking the 4 quadrant Red Ring is the RRoD and replacing them. Because that means the Xbox 360 turned off to prevent overheating. Which of course can lead to problems, but the 360 may be just fine if you let it cool off before using it again.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)