By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I could have been mistaken about Swich, but I have one theory left.

This topic is hilarious - that someone would be this confused over consumer trends. Why? Because it is a Nintendo system and not Sony or Microsoft? This system completely changes the concept of a home console and is the very first truly multiplayer portable, thanks to the dual use controllers. Everything about its function is near seamless and it fills a flexibility gap in today's culture that the game industry has been suffering increasingly from to some extent. Don't expect this to go away. It might help you to go read some impressions and reflection articles on the Switch recently written. Graphics, while important to be at a certain standard to contend, has nothing directly to do with any of this.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
I'm still not convinced this isn't a troll account.

You may be right, but I'm sure plenty of people out there are having trouble with acceptance, 3rd parties especially. Let's see if they are convinced after the holidays. My prediction is they will be after RIME sells more on Switch even though it releases after the other versions.

It has zelda... and its the strongest handheld on market.

Its kinda overpriced though compaired to the performance/price ratio of a PS4.
Hope Nintendo are able to get prices down on it, because Im not paying 299$+ for a handheld.

This feels very much like iPhone sales arguments I've heard. The phone uses older components, price is higher than rivals but offers less options in apps etc so why does it sell so much?! Why are people buying the god damn product? Could it be artificial demand?!

People forget Nintendo have mascots that are as famous as Mickey Mouse or even more. Families have been gaming with these since the mid 80's and their handheld systems have always sold well.

The switch is a combination of both meaning or will have console and hand held owners buying the system.

Secondly, going by the WiiU sales and how well the PS4 is doing, they probably produced a Conservative amount just in case sales were front loaded with the buyers mostly being hardcore Ninty fans. I can see Ninty playing careful just in case that is the case and they end up with tons of units on the shelf.

Let's face it, out of 3 make games before the holiday season, 2 are remasters. Maybe Ninty thought that may not give the system the boost in the sales it has.

I don't think this will be as big as the Wii, just as the PS4 won't hit PS2 numbers, but this will certainly be far more successful than the WiiU. And I won't be surprised if Ninty has already started putting small numbers aside to build up stock levels for Mario launch and holiday season considering how fast these things are selling out.

Artificial Demand??? No.

You underestimate the size of Nintendo's core fanbase, it's quite a bit larger than 3m. If the Switch shows no signs of slowing down after 10m+ it's safe to say it's captured a larger audience then the typical die-hard Nintendo fans.

Around the Network

In this topic: Logic takes a back seat as the OT makes the fantastic (both literally and figuratively) claim that constraining the supply of something makes it sell more.

Why doesn't Sony copy the Nintendo model to kill the competition? They should only ship 20k units every month. That will teach Nintendo. And according to your 'logic', it will sell even better than before.

Because cutting supply leads to a vortex of extra units being sold despite them not existing.

So you say the reason it's selling so many units ...is because Nintendo isn't making many units...?

How does that work?

Green098 said:

So you say the reason it's selling so many units ...is because Nintendo isn't making many units...?

How does that work?

An item being rare is enough to motivate people to buy something they wouldn't otherwise in some cases, my only guess at the OP being half logical is that he's saying a lot of people are buying it for this reason.

But... no... it just doesn't make complete sense and is a silly notion that requires you to ignore the many more likely scenarios.

NintendoPie said:
I'm still not convinced this isn't a troll account.

He reminds me of Geralt.

This guy...