By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I could have been mistaken about Swich, but I have one theory left.

I'd rather purchase a second Switch than get a PS4 or Xbox One.

Around the Network
Azuren said:
KLAMarine said:

I have a question. I'm going to ask you what I've asked others who bring this claim up of Nintendo purposefully undersupplying and so far, no one has gotten back to me on this.

How does one distinguish between a producer manufacturing less units on purpose to create artificial demand and a producer underestimating the demand for their product thus creating a shortage of units available out in the market?

Probably when everyone starts saying they're going to have stock problems for the whole year.

But who is this everyone and why should they be listened to?

Azuren said:

It doesn't take eight months to up production scale.

How long does it take?

Or, you can just step out of denial and just accept that people actually like and want it because it's awesome?

I'm still not convinced this isn't a troll account.

KLAMarine said:
niceguygameplayer said:

It has been over 2 months since switch released. It is still going strong. I didn't expect this. I figured that the Nintendo fanatics would have gotten their systems and sales would be slowing down. It actually seems to have increased! This doesn't make much sense to me since it is underpowered, very expensive--not counting the outrageous scalper prices of $410+ on Amazon--, and there are few games. 

I have only one explanation other than just misreading the whole thing. The explanation is this: artificial demand. Nintendo was said to have done this with Wii. After 2 months it seems Nintendo (a multi billion dollar company) would have the Switch production problem fixed. They should be widely available. Maybe they saw that this worked for Wii and they are using this strategy to create artificial demand for Switch. Many ppl want what they can't have. Could this be the answer? Please let me know your opinions in the comments.

I have a question. I'm going to ask you what I've asked others who bring this claim up of Nintendo purposefully undersupplying and so far, no one has gotten back to me on this.

How does one distinguish between a producer manufacturing less units on purpose to create artificial demand and a producer underestimating the demand for their product thus creating a shortage of units available out in the market?

It's very simple. If you like a certain producer, then they just underestimated the demand. If you don't like a certain producer, then they purposely created artificial demand.

Around the Network

Hahahaha! Good one..

Oh wait.. You were serious?

You REALLY think people would be compelled to shell out $300 + on a console just because (or more compelled because) it's difficult to come by? But then.. why the hell did they want it in the first place? What were they planning on doing if they actually DID get one?

Switch is a great console with some great games. Thus is sells. END of story. Power means shit. Is it really so hard to understand this simple concept?

It baffles me as to how little the hardcore, who is seemingly fully imersed in gaming, actually understands the gaming industry trends/markets.

I'll also never get tired of the hardcore squirm, being baffled at Nintendo's success and trying to shrug it off. With Wii they were just able to shrug it off as the made up excuse of "meh, it's just stupid cazuals!" But when Switch has similar success, they will no longer be able to resort to this excuse, as Switch has no casual games except maybe 1,2 Switch, which is almost universally panned and hasn't sold well anyway, and in fact is already home to some of the most grinding difficult games like Has Been Heroes, Isaac, and Zelda (in some respects). It will be extremely entertaining in the coming years to sit back and watch what their creative excuses will be now. I see we're off to a stellar start with topics like this.. XD

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Flilix said:
KLAMarine said:

It's very simple. If you like a certain producer, then they just underestimated the demand. If you don't like a certain producer, then they purposely created artificial demand.

I would hate to think that's what's going on but it's certainly a possibility...

Just shut the hell up. There is no artificial demand. Nintendo produces the best they can estimating demand and real demand was just greater than estimated demand. You have to plan for this stuff months in advance two months are not enough time. There is no artificial demand its just that there is real demand for the switch just like there was real demand for the ps4 and real demand for the Wii. You just can't seem to accept that people want it. It sells 45k-50k each week in Japan and about 80k-100k each week in North America and about 55k-60k each week in Europe and that is all Nintendo has been able to make at this time. It will only increase in sales when splatoon 2 releases especially in Japan. Hell MK8D is the first Nintnedo game in a long time to be first for two straight weeks on the UK charts. That should show you that even in one of its worst markets, demand is so much. The only real explanation is demand is too high and artificial demand is something other fanboys create in their minds to appease themselves since they can't seem to accept that Nintendo consoles when done right sell like crazy. It is outselling the Wii at this point what more do you wnat it to do before you accept that there is real demand for the system

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Mr.GameCrazy said:
I believe that if it was truly artificial demand as you claim, Nintendo wouldn't have increased the amount of shipments for the Switch around the world for its launch. After all, they were initially going to ship 2 million.

This!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

The only instance for a Nintendo console in which I could MAYBE see a bit of artificial demand (or at least until they discontinued the system) would be the NES Classic. But considering they've since discontinued it, which would indicate they didn't particularly care much about sales of that console anyway, it's hard to even make an argument for that one.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden