By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch) 110K pre-orders in the West! (78k is US only)

Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch) hits 110K pre-orders in the West versus 20K sold in Japan
Thanks to AniHawk for noticing this.

NIS America looks west for success as Disgaea 5 Complete hits 110k pre-orders in US and Europe

Disgaea 5 Complete is set to sell over 110,000 units in the US and Europe when it launches on Switch on May 26th, but publisher NIS America has said it needs to work harder to improve the franchise's standing in the UK.

So far, the game has reached 36,000 pre-orders in Europe and 78,000 pre-orders in the US, NIS America president Takuro Yamashita told MCV, but the UK has slipped behind France as the most profitable country in Europe for the publisher's tactical role-playing series.

"The UK has been historically the biggest market in Europe for the Disgaea series," Yamashita stated. "However, talking about Disgaea 5 Complete, the UK is not the biggest one [any more]. I am not sure why this happened. We really need to improve the UK situation for Disgaea 5 Complete.

"The best country in Europe is France because the country has been booming up with the Japanese culture for over last decade," Yamashita continued. "Another key factor of performing well in France is Disgaea 5 Complete's support for French text."

The US, of course, still remains the biggest market for Disgaea outside of Japan, with Yamashita saying it has "a larger JRPG fan base than any other country" besides its native homeland. He also says Disgaea is "one of the well-recognised JRPGs among such US communities."

Indeed, the western market is becoming increasingly important for NIS America: "The era is over for [Japanese games companies] to just rely on the Japanese market," says Yamashita.

"In order to make the NIS Group's consolidated figures better, our western sales is very important. While the Western pre-order units of Disgaea 5 Switch exceeded 110,000 units, the Japanese sell-in number on the game was unfortunately less than 20,000 units. We had predicted this would happen to some extent. However, we were surprised that the gap was much bigger than we thought."

Around the Network

Source. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nis-america-looks-west-for-success-as-disgaea-5-complete-hits-110k-pre-orders-in-us-and-europe/0182373

So much for nintendo not having good third party sales or my favorite nintendo has no games :p

Given that Nintendo platforms aren't the most popular in Europe is easy to see why they aren't getting as many pre orders as they are expecting from markets like the UK, solid US numbers for this kind of game I feel, hope is succesful enough for them to keep supporting the Switch.

axumblade said:
It's not that big of a surprise. Disgaea generally sells a lot more in the U.S. than in Japan for some reason.

I wonder why? It doesn't seem like it'd be the case, but somehow it is.

Bandorr said:
When you were in school - did you highlight the entire page?
You basically bolded 90% of that post.

Infact the things NOT bolded stand out more.

Nah i dont do that. Neither but i do copy and paste

Around the Network

Those are incredibly specific numbers. I wonder why NISA is bothering to share when they've never done something like this before. Glad that they're able to ship out a bunch of copies.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Well, truth is Japanese Switch owners just have more options right now, I mean they have both Dragon Quest heroes games available, here in America we are thirsty for more games.

Great news, third party developers selling well on Nintendo is a good sign for other Third Party developers, let's hope that other third party games can get similar if not better preorders...

tbone51 said:
Source. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nis-america-looks-west-for-success-as-disgaea-5-complete-hits-110k-pre-orders-in-us-and-europe/0182373

So much for nintendo not having good third party sales or my favorite nintendo has no games :p

Can I make a thread about every third party game that doesn't sell well on the nintedod switch? ok I mean that would happen like once a year (^^), but it does happen for nintendo to get a third party game

Sprash said:
tbone51 said:

Can I make a thread about every third party game that doesn't sell well on the nintedod switch? ok I mean that would happen like once a year (^^), but it does happen for nintendo to get a third party game

Actually it wont even happen once a year. I dont kno any1 with a nintedod

/s