By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo has a realistic shot at returning to #1 this fiscal year - RESULT: Nintendo back on top (21.45m), Sony second (19m+)

Which company will sell the most consoles in the fiscal year ending March 2018?

Sony (by more than 3m) 260 27.84%

Sony (between 2-3m more) 52 5.57%

Sony (between 1-2m more) 73 7.82%

Virtually tied (within 1m of each other) 133 14.24%

Nintendo (between 1-2m more) 150 16.06%

Nintendo (between 2-3m more) 59 6.32%

Nintendo (by more than 3m) 104 11.13%

Microsoft (seriously) 15 1.61%

Microsoft (for the lulz) 30 3.21%

Scoreboard 58 6.21%

Total:934

I voted Nintendo by more than 3 mil just because it's new and hasn't seen a holiday yet.

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
Flilix said:
I'd like to hear an explanation from the people who chose Microsoft (seriously).

Well for me personally I'm a Playstation guy but if PS wasn't around anymore I'd definitely go to MS mainly for 3rd parties. Outside of JRPG's which are great and all but you're always gonna get great AAA 3rd party games on a MS console. The same can't be said for Nintendo. It's great that Nintendo had a good launch with the Switch but personally I think people are jumping the gun with some predictions. I would never count MS out of the race.

It's very unlikely that XOne will outsell Switch+3DS this year, but it's not impossible since we are not sure yet if the Switch will be a success.

But why would anyone think that XOne will sell more than PS4 this year??? In 2016, PS4 sold more than the double.

Jpcc86 said:
I quite honestly think 10m Switch sold is the best case scenario, but not the most likely one. I expect it to sell less.

If Nintendo's forecast is 10M, it will only fail to do so if Nintendo was massively stupid with their previsions. Normally companies are conservative so they can reach or exceed the forecast, failing to do so has a negative impact on shares. 

Conina said:
6 million 3DS in 2017 seems very optimistic to me.

Many handheld gamers will go for a Switch instead, even if it is more expensive.

3DS next year will still have own place on market with $80-150 price point.

torok said:
Jpcc86 said:
I quite honestly think 10m Switch sold is the best case scenario, but not the most likely one. I expect it to sell less.

If Nintendo's forecast is 10M, it will only fail to do so if Nintendo was massively stupid with their previsions. Normally companies are conservative so they can reach or exceed the forecast, failing to do so has a negative impact on shares. 

Actually it seem that this forecasted 10m is conservative forecast because they failed with their previous forecasts (but 3DS had better sales than they forecasted).

Do SNES Classics count towards Nintendo's total?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

The Switch should have a very strong performance this year, but unless the PS4 experiences a large YoY drop of at least 25% (it did 17.5M last year) and/or or the Switch exceeds expectations (Nintendo expects only 13M LTD by March 31, 2018... 10M this FY plus the nearly 3M it did in March), I don't see the Switch being the #1 console this year. Next year? Possibly, maybe even probably. 2019? Almost certainly. But this year? I'm going to have to say the PS4 wins, and by a comfortable margin.

I will call you up on this - why are you comparing the PS4 sales against the Switch shipment? Last fiscal year, 20M PS4s were shipped/sold. 

Are we counting the SNES classic?

Shadow1980 said:
Lawlight said:

I will call you up on this - why are you comparing the PS4 sales against the Switch shipment? Last fiscal year, 20M PS4s were shipped/sold. 

Shipped ≠ sold. End of discussion. I'd appreciate it if you'd quit harping on me about it.

So why are you comparing the sales numbers for PS4 with the shipment numbers for the Switch?

ps4 because it offers the best value

Rem87919394 said:
So people are back to combining nintendo's handheld and console to PS4. Just to try and spin some kind of Nintendo win lol. If none of the systems out sell PS4. Then PS4 wins. It's pretty simple

Well, add Vita and PS3 if you like.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]