By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will Nintendo need to do to sell 10 million Switchs FY/2018?

Are they well positioned to sell 10 million Switchs FY/2018; if not what do they need to do?

They are well positioned 159 62.11%

No they need a price cut 14 5.47%

No they need Pokemon 20 7.81%

No they need more third-party 18 7.03%

No they need Combination ... 6 2.34%

No they need Combination ... 19 7.42%

See results 20 7.81%

Total:256
tak13 said:
thismeintiel said:

You say the same thing for the 3DS?  That was less than 6 months from launch.

It depends on sales.  If they remain steady, Nintendo won't touch the price.  If they start dropping in a month or two, Nintendo will have to cut the price.  Remember, this is Nintendo's only HW for the coming years. It HAS TO succeed, or they will have to really look at the possibility of going 3rd party and/or mobile.

What do you mean exactly...?

Of course you meant commercial success and  I don't understand if you  give a damn about financial success... 

Nintendo won't touch anything if manufacturing cost doesn't allow it...  It's estimated to be at 249$, they only thing Nintendo could do is to sell it at the manufacturing cost but I'm sure Nintendo prefers to make profit on hardware, they make more money on it than on software except from the final year of wii u...

Let switch with the pricey coveted accessories sell like gc hardware and software wise,  you will be saying go  third party Nintendo, when you're not even knowledge if they can match the profits by selling only software on xbox/playstation and how much they need to sell to match them...

Let me do a calculation, 50$ profit  on each console sold x 20m=1B 15$ on every  first party software copy sold, 100m first party software sales  ( I'm conservative ) = 1.5B a tally of 2.5B! Count how much software they need to  sell on xbox/playstation and the royalties.

You referred to 3DS price story, but it was the first time that Nintendo lost money in their history and if they could avoided they would...

Nintendo overshipped a handheld console of 249$, it was selling so much under expectations that they had to slash the price and lose money owing to 3D effect royalties ( not to a extend to be considered damaging though )... They ( rushed ) released 3DS XL at 199$ in July of the next year to make the hardware profitable again.

Although, while wii u price was never cut ( because of  you costly tablet controller ), it still lost money ( for two years )  by being overshipped ( and overproduced ) , specifically the undesired white 8gb version ( 299$ ), they discontinued in mid 2013 and sold the black one with the quadruple memory capacity for 299$ ( from 349 $ ), they underwent the cost of the clearance! Nintendo in a investor meeting stated that they took a lesson from 3DS and won't lose money again on hardware, thus they never really reduced the price of wii u and they focused on pushing it with software ( unfortunately, not as much as they should   ) !

Lastly, Switch situation is the exact opposite,  normal shipments and selling out! Also switch is a 299$ hybrid! it will sell  decently ( I'm being cautious ) to handheld gamers that are interested in home gaming on tv ( they had to expend 500$+ for a 3ds and wii u ) and home console players that want to keep playing what they were playing on their tv lying on the sofa anywhere inside/outside their house and soever, switch inital price is 100$ less than kinectless xb1 and PS4 price on par and close to previous console prices, so it seems cheap as home console.

The only problem is the exclusively handheld console players, they have to spend 299$ for switch and 60$ for MK8D when they had to pay 169-199$  for 3DS and 39$ for Mario kart ( 3ds was suffering at 249$ ) and I don't know if  switch superiority over 3ds is enough for them to justify the purchase at that price! Also, even if switch price can drop as manufacturing cost  lessens, then there is the issue of portability and durability of switch on mishandling by kids.

Nevertheless, there is solution, switch lite/mini.

Around the Network

They just need to continue marketing the same way and in the same style. There should be Switch commercials during the NBA Finals, various soccer events in Europe, in front of key movie blockbusters this summer, and during prime time TV shows.

And the commercials should continue to be in the same vein as the Superbowl and unveiling trailers.

FIFA Switch bundle for Europe I think wouldn't be a bad idea.

And yeah I probably would call Rockstar for a GTAV port. It shouldn't take long to do and they have the pre-requisite early momentum now to ask and be told yes. Those games aren't my cup of tea, but clearly it's a monstrous seller the likes of which hasn't been seen often (or at all) in this business. 

How many units left?

We reap what we sow

Show up...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261