By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will Nintendo need to do to sell 10 million Switchs FY/2018?

Are they well positioned to sell 10 million Switchs FY/2018; if not what do they need to do?

They are well positioned 159 62.11%

No they need a price cut 14 5.47%

No they need Pokemon 20 7.81%

No they need more third-party 18 7.03%

No they need Combination ... 6 2.34%

No they need Combination ... 19 7.42%

See results 20 7.81%

Total:256

How will they sell 10 million this fiscal year? By shipping 10 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
nemo37 said:
Ljink96 said:
Mario Odyssey basically ensures Nintendo will reach 10 mill by next year, if not that they have Pokemon. I don't think a price cut is necessary but I do think that a price cut will be put into action around the holidays or perhaps a bundle of some sort.

Just to play devil's advocate though, in the period of FY2014 (April 1 2013-March 31 2014), Super Mario 3D World, Zelda WWHD, Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover was not enough to convince enough consumers to purchase the Wii U at $299 (which is the price of the Switch now) to meet Nintendo's then goal of shipping 9 million units (2.72 million were actually shipped). This is one reason why I am looking at the price, more so than the line up (although with that being said, the Wii U also had confusing marketing and absolutly terrible press with regards to the system during this period; something which the Switch has not experiencedand hopefully will not experience in the future). 

Wii U also failed to sell through all its first shipment for along period. Something Switch hasn't experienced.

It's funny that you partially destroyed your own argument in the same post. Most users would play dumb omitting this same part in bold just to grasp at straws

We reap what we sow

Nintendo Switch's scariest enemy is stock scarcity.

NintendoPie said:

Stock scarcity brings positivity and keeps the system fresh in the news cycle. There's been "Switch stock shortages" articles almost every day since launch. Of course, Nintendo made it so that if you wanted one you could get one.

spurgeonryan said:

Nintendo is not dropping the price year one.

Whoever said that had well over his limit of jack daniels.

I'm sure people said the same thing about the 3DS back then. To be honest, we don't know how sales will pan out further by next year.

Around the Network

Stock not being an issue would be the most important thing

But, with MK8 Deluxe tomorrow (or today), Splatoon and Odyssey, I think it can hit 10M without issues

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Lawlight said:
NintendoPie said:

Stock scarcity brings positivity and keeps the system fresh in the news cycle. There's been "Switch stock shortages" articles almost every day since launch. Of course, Nintendo made it so that if you wanted one you could get one.

This is very true. Anytime a company can turn something into a headline is a good thing, but if the scarcity is completely limiting the opportunity to surpass projections, then it's no longer helpful. However, Nintendo seems to be able to ramp up production somewhat considering they sold more than their first-month projections. Still, if scarcity runs into the Holiday season it could really cripple their ability to sell more systems.

Game   Game   Game

Platina said:
Stock not being an issue would be the most important thing

But, with MK8 Deluxe tomorrow (or today), Splatoon and Odyssey, I think it can hit 10M without issues

Yes, amazon Switch stock for MK8D was a big one, guess what... it got sold out status on just 1 hour today, there are no more NS to sell from amazon, this shows demand is higher than supply for the hot NS.

34 years playing games.

A consistent stream of compelling software, and enough supply to meet demand.