By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The lack of continuous chatter about the PS4 Pro should teach Microsoft about scorpio

Mr Puggsly said:
Nuvendil said:

Well, I think the biggest difference between Sony and MS here is not the specs but what each company expects that machine to accomplish.  Sony was looking to expand to certain audiences, providing a product they didn't expect to necessarily be a massive success but would supplement Playstation's earnings nicely.  MS seems to be putting most if not all their eggs in the Scorpio basket, expecting it to be a massive difference maker and push Xbox back into competition with Sony.  So the Scorpio doesn't mean fewer new games because of the power, but rather it seems the power and not the games are what they are betting on.

And I agree that MS should take a hard look at the Pro.  The Pro is what it is: a succesful but not massively succesful product that appeals to a minority subset of current Playstation consumers and it's the exclusives and diverse ecosystem and excellent marketing that primarily push the Playstation brand forward.  I firmly believe the Scorpio's future can be seen in the Pro's present. 

MS and Sony both took a stab at mid gen upgrades and MS is simply doing better at it. It also earned them some bragging rights just like PS4 had for years.

Its also worth noting multiplat are among the most popular titles on both platforms, therefore Scorpio should also be able to boast about having the best versions.

I totally agree X1 should work on getting more exclusives, but that has little if anything to do with Scorpio.

What makes Microsofts execution better?  They merely aimed at a higher more expensive upgrade and one year later.  It remains to be seen if that's good or bad.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

celador said:
Mr Puggsly said:

MS and Sony both took a stab at mid gen upgrades and MS is simply doing better at it. 

How so? MS went for the more expensive and powerful option, but it's probably going to sell less than the Pro. Is MS going to consider that as doing better?

Its doing a better job as a premium product even if the price is above $400.

It will achieve 4K more often and improve all old games pretty significantly it seems.

Those who dont care about the premium console can get the cheaper X1 S that plays the same games.

The problem with the Pro is it isnt a big enough upgrade and therefore not much discussion about it.

And again, Scorpio could phase out the X1 S eventually when its $300.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Landguy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The viewpoint of consoles gamers and PC gamers is different. We play mostly the same games, but PC gamers enjoy customization, all available choice and knowledge on parts and building, modding rather than console gamers who generally plug and play. (essentially the complexity is a non factor with consoles)In the console realm our dependence is based on the endeavors of the first party and the wealth of third party that is brought in. On PC there is more self reliance and a broader viewing of third party. Console gaming will always trail PC gaming and thus all the trappings of discussion that comes with it.

I think that you are making a mostly wrong generalization.  Based on the Steam stats, a VERY high percentage of PC users have low to mid range PCs (not even as powerful as the Scorpio).

So, the group that mods and changes their PCs is much smaller than you suggest.

So, to the OP that you made.  

I think the difference between the PS4pro and the Scorpio is what M$ is trying to achieve.  The PS4pro is basically a small upgrade from the PS4 as the original PS4 was already "powerful enough" to make the VR work better.  The Scorpio will be a substantial upgrade from the underpowered and poorly designed XB1.  So, M$ is basically about changing the mindshare of the general public about the XBOX brand for their whole future.  The XB1 basicaly broke the brand.  The Scorpio is meant to show where the best multiplat versions of every game is played(PS4's territiory fo the last 4 years) until the next gen.  Will the Scorpio blow away the sales of the PS4 or the PS4pro? Probably not, but there will be no question that if you want the best looking and best gaming experience for COD/Assasins/whatever multi-plat for the rest of the generation, it will be on an XBox come this fall.  That is worth every dollar spent for the last 15 years building the XBOX brand if your M$.

Well its obvious that if you had a majority of consumers, but ones who invest more would be in the minority. Thats exactly the same methodology I am using for console gamers. Those who will be interested in the premium consoles will be those who can afford it. The distinction that I am making is that PC gamers invest in PC because they want control of what they own and to customize things that they like regardless of the price. Gaming no longer just becomes about gaming, but also about tech. I have plenty of friends who in college had low tier PC's who had tech talks and I would marvel just listening to them. Today they have admirable rigs. Interest is interest. Plus, there are plenty of PC gamers who buy consoles for exclusives that they cannot find on consoles. I also know plenty of PC gamers who find it unfair that exclusives exist (Probably because they do not live to know they cannot touch other brands products without investing).

Mr Puggsly said:

celador said:

How so? MS went for the more expensive and powerful option, but it's probably going to sell less than the Pro. Is MS going to consider that as doing better?

Its doing a better job as a premium product even if the price is above $400.

It will achieve 4K more often and improve all old games pretty significantly it seems.

Those who dont care about the premium console can get the cheaper X1 S that plays the same games.

The problem with the Pro is it isnt a big enough upgrade and therefore not much discussion about it.

And again, Scorpio could phase out the X1 S eventually when its $300.

Yes, it will do a better job, but the outcome will be no different in affecting the fate of 4k. You see, Sony took the general risk with Blu Ray to save it. Microsoft is trying to expand into 4k but people will have to invest into 4k tv's rather than just use the supersampling features of the Scorpio. Most people wont delve that deep.  The scorpio wont phase out phase one Xboxes. The majority will always go for the cheaper alternative regardless of the graphics. Right now everyones looking to attract mid gen adopters and later on late adopters. A lot of these people have either not been playing, playing on PC and want exclusives on consoles that they cannot touch, or have been using old generation consoles and now feel its proper to make the jump. Not to mention, if people can find a reason to stick with their 1080 tv's and enjoy their games at base level they will. Most gamers will be ready for 4k by next gen. Its enthusiasts like us that will adopt 4k gaming on consoles early no matter what brand it is.  We are in the minority.

Azzanation said:
The lack of Pro chatter is because the Pro failed to achieve what it wanted to be. Still at this point i dont know what it is. Is it a 4k machine or a 1080 machine. I look at the Pro as a console with no identity. Where as the Scorpio is a pure 4k machine and if done right it will have a good audience. Besides its not meant to outsell the PS4 or X1S.
I wouldn't be talking about lack of Exclusives until after E3.

The lack of pro chatter, is because it will play the same games with a slight increase, so in the end it doesnt matter. Its newer tech, only to be bogged down by earlier iterations of the console. True 4k gaming begins next gen regardless. Sony and Microsoft jumped the gun. I am an enthusiast like you, but only the minority like us will be speaking of what it truly offers and for me...eventually I move on once i've normalized to it. The Pro is right where it needs to be because Sony realized people arent ready for 4k just yet. Games should have an option to be at 1080p 60 fps and I think Sony at least has done that. Plus, there will be exclusives that will make use of the slight upgrade in their hardware. Microsoft needs to do the same. Now that they realize it doesnt matter, they need to get third and first party to optimize on the same games. I mean, Im with Projekt CD Red when they said it isnt worth putting the recourses into upgrading. If I want the best version of the Witcher, i'll just buy a PC, but to me theres no reason to because I enjoyed the Xbox One version at 900p despite having a PS4 already. When I upgrade that will change little outside of new development of third and first party.

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:
Yeah, I don't get the defensiveness seen in this thread. You never made a hit against Scorpio.
You just said "OK, fine, but what we really want are exclusive games". That's it. Who can argue with that?
I guess the point being, people want to argue, so will nitpick to find some interpretation to allow an opening.

Exactly. Im getting a scorpio to boot. In truth, I dont really think it will help anything. Its just me as the enthusiast enjoying it. Fanboys think this will be decisive in winning the war, when the truth is the gaming library and console price mid gen tells that story.

deskpro2k3 said:
Next gen starts with the PS5.

Next gen for Sony and Microsoft stsrts with the PS5 or next Xbox. Nintendo does not adhere to generations led by Sony.

ICStats said:
Mr Puggsly said:

MS and Sony both took a stab at mid gen upgrades and MS is simply doing better at it. It also earned them some bragging rights just like PS4 had for years.

Its also worth noting multiplat are among the most popular titles on both platforms, therefore Scorpio should also be able to boast about having the best versions.

I totally agree X1 should work on getting more exclusives, but that has little if anything to do with Scorpio.

What makes Microsofts execution better?  They merely aimed at a higher more expensive upgrade and one year later.  It remains to be seen if that's good or bad.

Yes, it seems to be more of a one up battle for Microsoft, whilst Sony has seen that the PC market is growing. I dont think Microsoft is trying to keep their gamers from jumping to PC like Sony. Sony cant really stop that anyway, but options are always good.

p0isonparadise said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Next gen starts with the PS5.

Gen 9 started March 3rd. 

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

What it SHOULD teach all of us is that mid generation upgrades are pointless. Microsoft should just call this their next generation console that has full BC.